Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Would you go?

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Would you go?

We're invited to my parent's cabin on a lake up north this weekend. My parents, brother, SIL and 2 nephews are planning to go. I know they are wearing masks while shopping and I have been told the boys wear them at work. No one else is going to work yet, so just the 2 teenaged nephews. So I was thinking we'd go, but now I've seen lots of prom, graduation, friends, etc photo shoots of them with others and no masks. The photos are all of them outside, but they are right next to friends. I don't know what to think.

We've done much, much less than they have. I do grocery shop in person (in a mask) about once a week. My oldest 2 did see 1-2 friends on their birthdays, but otherwise haven't. DS2 hasn't seen any since March. DH hasn't gone anywhere since March. I would not send my kids off to hang out in a large group of friends all day.

Michigan has been doing well and my zipcode has had very few cases recently (2 in June) and even my county of 1.2M people has only had about 250 in June total.

If we go, it's just for a day and not overnight. We'd mostly be outside doing yard games, jet ski, tubing, etc. We'd have to go in for a bathroom, to get food and drink, change clothes. But we could eat outside. I am sure no one will want to wear a mask and I am sure they will do things together, because that's the point of going. I was fine with it when I thought they were more on the same page as us, but I'm less certain now and keep changing my mind.

I'd like to go because my kids would have fun and they need some fun

Thoughts?
    Kris

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

If I had an opportunity like that we would totally go. All that outdoor stuff sounds great!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Where do you go if it rains? I’m assuming you will be going inside the cabin and that would be my concern. If you aren’t sleeping overnight and you are generally keeping your distance outside, AND your + case numbers are low, I’d say yes. Bring lots of handsantizer for the bathroom trips and masks if there are any close activities. That would be my strategy if your area case numbers are low. High area + case numbers would leave me worried the entire time and I’d stay home.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes, I would go.
    K

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Where do you go if it rains? I’m assuming you will be going inside the cabin and that would be my concern. If you aren’t sleeping overnight and you are generally keeping your distance outside, AND your + case numbers are low, I’d say yes. Bring lots of handsantizer for the bathroom trips and masks if there are any close activities. That would be my strategy if your area case numbers are low. High area + case numbers would leave me worried the entire time and I’d stay home.
    I agree with the above.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Will you feel pressured to do things you’re not comfortable doing? I think a lot depends on the other people and their attitude. If they will let you do your thing, then I think this is doable. Now if it rains… That’s another story, but outdoor fun sounds reasonable.
    You should probably have a little chat with them beforehand and let them know how you will participate and that this is important to you.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

We would stay home if it rains or otherwise looks like indoor weather. The draw is all the outside activities - beach, boats, badminton. Clearly things that start with B .

Case numbers are generally low for the state. The area we'll be has had 22 positives total for the county.

They know why we are not committed to it yet and understand. So I think there would not be pressure from them to do something we aren't comfortable with. There is no guilt trip to get us to go or anything.

Thanks for the input. I feel better about going.
    Kris

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

yes I would go with what you described and rain plan
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'd go given what you describe. We are headed to visit friends in Michigan this weekend for similar type fun with close family friends who we know have been very careful about their interactions. We are actually going to sleep at their house, so we are going a step beyond what you are proposing and I'm still ok with it (and we have been very cautious to date - my kids haven't been socializing in person at all). Our area case numbers are holding/declining and so are theirs. I think it will get worse before it gets better so think a weekend of outdoor fun with other kids and family sounds great. Have fun and don't shy away from taking whatever precautions you decide you want to put in place (masks inside, careful sanitizing etc).

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I’d go also. We are no longer strictly quarantined though and have always been risking exposure since DH has worked as usual.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast