Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

It’s time to get a new couch. How often does everyone on BBB agree on one thing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I bought a new couch last December. It replaced a couch that was 21 years old! The brand was Bauhaus, purchased at Macy's; however, they don't sell that brand any longer. If you can squeak by with the couch that you have until you can buy one in person, that is what I would do. I bought my new couch at Home Goods for the amazing price of $300! Home Goods doesn't have an option for online sales, but I like to see the color and actually sit on the couch before buying. If this is your main seating, I think trying it out is important and a couch is such a large item to have to return. Costco has a big furniture sale twice a year. They usually start putting furniture out around July 4th or so. I really appreciate your goal of being debt free and I'm a big Dave Ramsey fan, but I agree that you deserve a new couch!

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I am definitely not disagreeing, but we just replaced our sofas right at the beginning of quarantine and it took me several months of on and off shopping to find what I wanted (and honestly, we ended up getting more of an in between solution at the end). I'm just saying couches are hard to shop for, so maybe get a cheap couch cover on amazon until you find what you want at a price you are happy with. We did that and it gave us several months of use where I was not ashamed to have guests over and I could look at them without getting angry. I totally understand where you're at. The covers were about $30 each and held up pretty well considering the abuse they took.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would get a couch cover for now until you can really shop and feel comfy being able to sit on a variety of couches. They fit so differently and I'm going to keep a couch for the next 10-15 years, I want to make sure I'm happy to sit on it.

Or, if it got wet and needs replacing now, look for something on craigslist that is super cheap (or free) until you can shop in person.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would buy a new couch but I would wait until stores open up,so you can try them out in person.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Do it
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    It’s time to get a new couch. How often does everyone on BBB agree on one thing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Right? No kidding!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ok! Maybe I’ll start looking. I have a very specific size I need. I should have mentioned it’s a sectional and it’s like MADE to fit in my current house (but it wasn’t—it’s just perfect!) so I’d like to find something else perfect! My DH is tall and likes a big sofa (I actually like smaller sized ones but with two teen boys...) and I have no idea what fabric will ever be this versatile!

For those that asked my parents bought this one at Macy’s 17 years ago. It’s been awesome. It’s a brown chenille sectional. I’ll start “looking” I guess and can handle my old thing for the next few months until things open (I’m kinda hoping the Costco suggestion might work out!!) and in the meantime I’m going to have some long talks with my kids about treating things right. My littlest is now 6 and old enough to comply.

Thanks for the replies!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Costco won’t have couches until late summer.
    I would buy a new one.
    Check Lazy Boy.
    I was solidly of the opinion that they must be tried tried in person but our newest couch is a dud. Tried in person but it’s only just ok. Now I figure it’s a roll of the dice unless you’re buying right off the floor. But, once you have things custom made based on the floor sample, all bets are off anyway. Measure the seat depth and make sure you like the arm design. Oh and check if cushions are removable and reversible.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have an inexpensive microfiber couch and loveseat, they wipe clean and have lasted 13 years so far and we lounge and eat on them. They are so comfy. Paid 1500 for both and the coffee table and 2 end tables. Not high end, but we had toddlers and knew it would be well used, and it has held up.

It sounds like you need a new couch, how do you all watch a show together or just lounge without one?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast