Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have, and love, the Ikea Kivik. I particularly like that the covers are removable, washable, and replaceable. We haven't had to replace them (5 years), but I feel better knowing that we could. I also like that the arms are functional space to use. https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/kivik-s...ite-s89193608/

Check wayfair out. But that’s coming from a place where we have two living rooms though, the family den room is our smaller room with fireplace. Our Ethan Allen leather couch is 13 years old and still in good shape, although getting softer in middle and arm is losing its color a bit. We did replace our armchair in that room with newer version from Ethan Allen 2 years ago.

The other couch set is in our kids playroom and that is where I got from wayfair. It’s the couch kids mostly sit, or I sit and it’s a very comfortable one. For your situation with the only one living space, and many people to consider I prefer to shop in person. No harm in looking online now, to get an idea of styles, colors and fabrics you want. S, when stores are open, you’ll have a short list to decide from hopefully. Meantime get a slipcover! It’s what we did when we first moved in to cover the previous owner green flowery couch, to buy us time to look around in person and decide without rushing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We have a California made couch that is rock solid and super comfy, we have it for 3 years now. It is from https://www.jonathanlouis.net

The fabric holds up to kids and it comes in all sorts of crazy sizes. We have a 3 cushion one that fits in my 1940's tiny roomed cape. It was $800. Very reasonable. They have a dealer list and good deal online.

Be careful with Wayfair, they just went through really big bed bug issue.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I’m going with it’s a pandemic. If you have the $$ and the couch would make you happy, buy the couch.

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Buy a couch. Think about the cost per use if you keep it another 10-15 years. You don’t have anyone left to pee on it and that itself is worth it!

We bought a cheap sectional right after we moved in to our current house 5 years ago and it looked pretty sad after several years of my youngest, who has special needs, using it for a trampoline. . He seems to have outgrown that stage and after several weeks of being home 24/7 DH decided we had put off replacing it long enough. We are still in the somewhat-disposable stage of life, though. I would have gotten an IKEA Ektorp in a heartbeat but DH wasn’t on board. I spent $900 on a mid range sofa and loveseat and if we get another 5 years out of it I will be happy. I bought from a local mom and pop store that was doing large discounts for preordering.
    Daniele
    mama to
    dd1 watching over her brothers and sister from Heaven
    ds1 13 years old
    dd2 10 years old
    ds2 6 years old
    Placenta Increta/c-hyst survivor

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
    We have, and love, the Ikea Kivik. I particularly like that the covers are removable, washable, and replaceable. We haven't had to replace them (5 years), but I feel better knowing that we could. I also like that the arms are functional space to use. https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/kivik-s...ite-s89193608/
    We got a KIVIK chaise sofa about a year ago, and it's fine! I especially like that 4 people can sit on it. There are so many configurations...I bet we could help you decide before going into a store!

The reason I was okay with the KIVIK when the other one I read about that was higher rated was...it'll be super easy to resell to college kids or someone just looking for a standard "known quantity" sofa. I'll be able to sell it (delivered) to someone else and it won't cost that much when I'm ready to upgrade. Same with our Ektorp sofa and loveseat. People know them and they'll sell easily if we ever decide on a nicer couch.

Kudos to you, bisous, for having the cash!

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We have a Klaussner sofa and loveseat that are 14 years old and still going strong. They are a brown tweed fabric and everything comes out of it. It has pilled a little over there years, but nothing terrible. I love how deep the couch is, it is almost like a twin bed when you take the back cushions off, I have slept on it a lot! We bought it at a local furniture store, and I agree that I really need to try a couch before buying. We looked for a sectional when we thought we wanted that instead of this set, and couldn't find one we liked that was as comfortable, so we just kept this set and make it work!
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I could have written your post exactly. We bought an l shaped tan chenille sectional 17 years ago and it fits our room perfectly. I've loved it but has 2 large holes due to kids and dogs. I thought about reupholstering it but it's cheaper to buy new. We looked at what Costco had last year but did not find the back tall enough for my dh and teens. Ashley furniture has one I'm looking at but I'm waiting to try it in person. https://www.ashleyfurniture.com/p/ba...-80703-R3.html

I echo the other BBers, it's time to buy a new couch! It might be worth calling stores to see if they are open or have private appts. even if retail isn't technically open yet. We're in an area where retail is not open to the public, but we're also in the midst of a major renovation and need to buy furniture in the next month or so. My designer told me you can schedule a private appt. to go into a local furniture store she recommends. We, too, want a large comfortable sectional and only have 1 "family room" in the entire house. Knowing that our teens will want to have friends over, I'm hoping to get one large enough for at least 6 people to sit on.

Good luck!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast