hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Stimulus debit cards do NOT work for the elderly!

I spoke with my mother today and she finally received her stimulus money....in the form of a debit card. She does not own a debit card and has no idea what to do with this.

She spoke with her bank and they cannot help since they cannot accept it as a deposit into her account. I called the bank myself and they said the letter should have instructions on how to access the stimulus money and transfer it to an account at another bank. My mother is going to look into that, but technology is not her strength. She goes to the bank every week to get what she needs for cash and has two credit cards (one to use and one for emergencies). With quarantine, I can't go over and help her figure this out.

So now she has this card with a substantial amount of money on it and no way to access it that she is comfortable with.

She was expecting a check, she is very confused by this debit card!

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don’t know why they went to debit cards!!! I think a lot of people will have problems using them. I read an article about people shredding them because they didn’t realize what they really were.

I thought I read that they can be used at an ATM to withdraw cash?? Would that help your mom?

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post

I thought I read that they can be used at an ATM to withdraw cash?? Would that help your mom?
    She has NEVER used an ATM so that is not an option. She would not even know how to begin.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I fear they're not going to work for a great many people.... I know at least 2 teachers who responded to fb post that they almost shredded them! These are reasonably educated, tech savvy people ...

Havent gotten one but from what I read, you have to set up an online acct to transfer to a checking acct. Might be better for you to do it w/her info for her? You're supposed to be able to make withdrawals from a teller after you activate the card. But there may be fees involved.

maybe this will help? https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article243025096.html

checks would have been SO much easier for so many people.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Can it be used at an ATM? If so, can she give it to you and you send her a check?
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    She has NEVER used an ATM so that is not an option. She would not even know how to begin.
    If that is an option, I think going to the bank and get assistance from teller to use it as atm would be her best bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Thanks everyone. I just spoke to Mom and she has a plan. However, she did not realize that ATM's usually have limits on the amount you can withdraw (and anything after the first withdrawal comes with a fee). Especially the "in-network" ATM's for these cards, which all seem to be located in stores.

If all else fails, I will take the card and write her a check (thank you, I had not thought of that as an option).

I spoke with her bank and their ATM will not accept these cards since they are not in the network. Mom's thought was to simply go to the bank, since they are so good at helping her. When I called, the bank was as frustrated as I was since there was nothing they could do to help.

We also talked about calling the electric company, water department, credit card company, ect. to see if she could pay her bill via this card. However, since she is set up for automatic payment, that gets confusing too.

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

IME the bank can deposit the money from the card, but the member has to know the exact amount. The bank can't access that information; they have to be told what amount to transfer. I've had to do this with a paycheck before I got my direct deposit set up. I had to call the number on the card to get the amount; then I told that amount to the teller at the bank.

It's really a pain. I don't know why these systems can't "talk" to each other more efficiently.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"