Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default My last post re: masks

I’m tired of commenting on different social media platforms. So I’m going to write this out once and be done with this. Wearing a mask isn’t about you, it’s about caring for others. It’s about caring for the elderly, the at risk, the essential worker, the social and economically disadvantaged that are dying at greater numbers. Masks should be the default and you should try six different ways to wear masks before you decide you can’t. Remember, nurses and doctors and EMTs wear more occlusive masks, and gowns and face shields (if we have them-different post) for 12+ hours while we’re turn 400 lb patients, doing CPR, and work like dogs and we don’t complain. Soldiers carry heavy packs in full uniform in the desert. Firefighters have a a ton of crap in a FIRE! You can cope. It really is the least you can do. You can wear it to the supermarket or your whatever.

And, because I’m a mother, lets take a moment to talk about children. Yes, your kid can wear a mask over the age of 3. I get it’s a pain. I get they might set them off. But this is about values. Here you go, you want to raise a decent human being? Start my teaching them their discomfort during a pandemic can save lives. They are being super heroes by wearing a mask! Your older kids? OK, sure, you want them to play sports. But are you really going to have me believe your kid can’t possibly wear a mask while playing stick hockey in the park, but they can completely gear up for ice hockey and that’s fine? I’ve seen the crap they wear. Think about that for a moment. Maybe they should just play basketball a little slower so they can still wear a mask. It’s not like I’m asking them to go into a coal mine at 14 like just 2 generations ago in my family. I’m asking them to wear a flimsy cloth mask. I’m fairly confident that no one in my social media feed has a child that is becoming a professional athlete, they can cope. (I’ll buy you a really nice dinner if I am wrong and your kid makes it to the NBA/NFL/NHL/MBL/MLS). Values. It’s about values. What do you want to teach your kid.

(Of course you with non neurotypical kids, I see you. I get your kids can’t. I get people we looking at you funny. But they were about other things before. I’ll buy you a drink, I’ll let you bitch, but you should understand this isn’t about your kids.)

OK. I’m done. Now let me talk to you about race....

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

100% agree.

I really don't understand the huge fuss about wearing a thin mask every once in a while when you go out. My kids are 16 and 11 and haven't complained once when they've had to wear a mask. They just know it's not a choice. My friends with 2 year old toddlers are starting mask training at home to get them used to it before eventually going out. If they can do it almost anyone can.

Countries all over the world are wearing masks with seemingly no issue yet people here are protesting with guns? The dumbest thing I ever seen!

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don’t get it. It’s something mildly uncomfortable. Like...a seatbelt or bicycle helmet or football pads. But honestly you get used to it. Like wearing heels or spanx. You’ll live. I’ve always skied with a few layers of fleece over my face, which is more effort than the store

My kids are not excited about masks, but they are coming around to the same understanding as me. There is a choice: wear a mask and partake in some activity. Or don’t and stay home like we have been the past 2.5 months. Same choice I’ve made most days for the last 10+ years. Wear a mask and make a living, or don’t.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm with you...I really wish there was a federal mandate that masks must be worn in all public indoor spaces but we know that'll never happen. And since we will never get everyone to wear masks, I've been tweaking sewing patterns to create the best masks for my own family that would offer the most protection for the wearer, fit-wise, which is never what a cloth mask was meant for

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    I’m tired of commenting on different social media platforms. So I’m going to write this out once and be done with this. Wearing a mask isn’t about you, it’s about caring for others. It’s about caring for the elderly, the at risk, the essential worker, the social and economically disadvantaged that are dying at greater numbers. Masks should be the default and you should try six different ways to wear masks before you decide you can’t. Remember, nurses and doctors and EMTs wear more occlusive masks, and gowns and face shields (if we have them-different post) for 12+ hours while we’re turn 400 lb patients, doing CPR, and work like dogs and we don’t complain. Soldiers carry heavy packs in full uniform in the desert. Firefighters have a a ton of crap in a FIRE! You can cope. It really is the least you can do. You can wear it to the supermarket or your whatever.

And, because I’m a mother, lets take a moment to talk about children. Yes, your kid can wear a mask over the age of 3. I get it’s a pain. I get they might set them off. But this is about values. Here you go, you want to raise a decent human being? Start my teaching them their discomfort during a pandemic can save lives. They are being super heroes by wearing a mask! Your older kids? OK, sure, you want them to play sports. But are you really going to have me believe your kid can’t possibly wear a mask while playing stick hockey in the park, but they can completely gear up for ice hockey and that’s fine? I’ve seen the crap they wear. Think about that for a moment. Maybe they should just play basketball a little slower so they can still wear a mask. It’s not like I’m asking them to go into a coal mine at 14 like just 2 generations ago in my family. I’m asking them to wear a flimsy cloth mask. I’m fairly confident that no one in my social media feed has a child that is becoming a professional athlete, they can cope. (I’ll buy you a really nice dinner if I am wrong and your kid makes it to the NBA/NFL/NHL/MBL/MLS). Values. It’s about values. What do you want to teach your kid.

(Of course you with non neurotypical kids, I see you. I get your kids can’t. I get people we looking at you funny. But they were about other things before. I’ll buy you a drink, I’ll let you bitch, but you should understand this isn’t about your kids.)

OK. I’m done. Now let me talk to you about race....
    Yes! To all of that! Yes! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

Thank you dogmom for this post. You hit the nail on the head. That's all.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Yes! Totally agree with you. I keep reading online about people who claim they can't breathe with the mask on or that it's harmful to wear a mask for long periods of time. How do medical people wear masks all day if it's harmful? Makes no sense at all!
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

NCGrandma is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Totally agree. I am glad that I live in a CCRC where masks are the norm for both residents and staff (although we’ve had to learn different ways to recognize our friends when outdoors and wearing hats and sunglasses as well as masks!!). And I’m especially grateful that my family takes mask wearing as a given, even when hiking in a nature preserve, never mind more populous locations.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Default My last post re: masks

Thanks for posting! I totally agree.

DH wears his N95 mask all day at work (plus a face shield). He takes it off when he goes into his office (no one else is allowed in). The first few weeks he had a wound on his nose from the weight of the mask.

I have masks for all of my kids, but only DD has worn hers since she’s the only kid who has left the house.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Thank you, Dogmom, I don’t get the big deal either. We wear masks in all indoor public places and crowded outdoor places. It’s not a big deal, just something to get used to. I ordered some in funky designs that the kids really like. It just takes some getting used to.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast