WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Anyone waterproofed outdoor cushions?

I picked up a Target return outdoor sofa at a liquidation place today. It was $350 and it’s so comfy! The only problem is that it’s white.

Have you tried any of the waterproofing sprays or has anyone done the research on them? Part of me thinks it would be a good idea to find some sunbrella fabric and make covers for it immediately.

For now I’m going to keep it covered...with a drop cloth. I need to make a cover for it also.

Excuse the actual deck that’s being replaced later this summer, the silly string graffiti, and the junk all around. This is the neglected space of our home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

I used a scotch guard spray for our throw pillows

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I didn’t water-proof outdoor cushions but I did scotchguard my indoor sofa a few years back. Right afterwards I read about how the chemical in scotchguard is really bad for you. I haven’t done that again. ☹️

However, your idea for recovering with Sunbrella fabric is a good one. Our outdoor furniture and umbrellas are covered in Sunbrella fabric and it has held up so well. We leave the cushions out for 5 months in the summer in full sun and don’t cover it. No fading that I can see, very durable and it dries off very quickly.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.