Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Also love Requisite Gray from SW.
    We did SW Naval on our exterior last year- I must have been extra trendy because in January it was named SW’s color of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It's hard to make a hasty paint decision, especially with grays because their undertones are so dependent on the house itself, what's outside the windows that let light in, your furniture, and artificial lighting - all of those things can swing gray tones one way or the other. I would consider doing just the exterior for now.

If the paint inside is really bad and you need a clean canvas/clean walls, consider a soft white maybe? What color is the trim and does it need to be painted too? BM Simply White has worked well for me in every situation where I've used it (North facing window, South facing window, West facing Window, interior bathroom with no window, trim, furniture, cabinets....it is my favorite soft white. I've tried White Dove as well but it appears more grayish to me. Simply White reads white, isn't stark, and is a touch creamy with yellow/green undertones (I know that sounds awful but those are the actual undertones but they do NOT make it appear yellow or green - just slightly warm).

BM Swiss Coffee is a very pale off-white creamy neutral that offers just a whisper of "not white" color. I haven't personally used it but love the look in this blog: https://www.blesserhouse.com/our-current-house/.

BM intense white is the same kind of off-white neutral but offers juuuust enough contrast with white trim. I have it in our master bedroom and it's a very airy, subtle, whisper-y greige that is neither warm nor cool with our South-facing bedroom windows (but in another room with west-facing windows it looked more beige/warm but still had that really pretty light airy whisper-of-color quality.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 06-01-2020 at 12:28 PM.

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I painted my whole downstairs Benjamin Moore ballet white. Was going from a worn mid 2000 beige so it lightened and brightened without being WHITE.

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have been transitioning the majority of our house to a soft white. I use color in my artwork, rugs, plants, and decor. Grays are so very hard to get right and the trend is past. My entry is SW Sea Salt as is our office, which is about the most "color" I have on walls. These two rooms face south and vary in color throughout the day. I love it as a cooler option.

Jeanne is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

SW Sea Salt

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Our old house was a glorious crayon box of color. I had some neutral rooms but I also had a rich terra cotta color, blue, green... this new house is so insanely dull, IMO. Every room is a different shade of beige (why they used a different shade, I don’t know...they all look the same!). The living room is an ugly blue that I regret not repainting prior to move in. The bathrooms are the only interesting rooms- dark blue/gray color. Think hard before you paint. What did you like/dislike in your old house?

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Our old house was a glorious crayon box of color. I had some neutral rooms but I also had a rich terra cotta color, blue, green... this new house is so insanely dull, IMO. Every room is a different shade of beige (why they used a different shade, I don’t know...they all look the same!). The living room is an ugly blue that I regret not repainting prior to move in. The bathrooms are the only interesting rooms- dark blue/gray color. Think hard before you paint. What did you like/dislike in your old house?

You know, I like all the paint colors in our current house, but it gets better natural light as it has more oversized windows being newer construction. The “new”place doesn’t have a single room where I like the colors, and the paint jobs are so old, the rooms would need to be repainted regardless. I tend to reuse a color Once I like it (we’ve only been in this house 5 years), But think this house may need more white and lighter colors than I typically use.

Congratulations on your new house! I'm no help with a specific recommendation, but some kind soul posted a while back about Kylie M Interior's amazing website. She has tons of really great recommendations and examples. It's quite a fun rabbit hole to fall down if you have time.

Here's a good place to start if you want: https://www.kylieminteriors.ca/north...r-is-the-best/

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Help Me With Paint Colors

We just painted the interior of our house (living/dining room) Behr Toasty Grey, and Dd1’s room Behr Hush. The Hush has some nice subtle blue undertones that I think might look nice on a house. If they don’t make that in exterior I would at least take the paint chip and see if they have something similar.

Behr Toasty Gray

Behr Hush

We did Dd2’s room in Behr Campfire Ash, which had more brown in the grey than the other two, but her room needed that; we had originally bought the sample can of Hush for her room and because of all of the natural light it looked too purple in there where as in Dd1’s room it doesn’t look purple at all.

FWIW Behr has the best online “try in room” paint matching program for a national paint company that wasn’t Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams as we were trying to paint on a budget (we saved about $30 a gallon vs. BM or Sherwin Williams and the paint was stink free!). The quality of the paint is okay especially if you are having a professional do it, but we felt like the rollers we bought from Lowe’s were better than the ones that came in the roller kit from Home Depot.

Valspar Paint Rollers

ETA: we used Behr Polar Bear for the trim in all of the rooms, and the paneling in living and dining room and it is the perfect shade of white.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 06-01-2020 at 08:51 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Our kitchen is Benjamin Moore sea glass which I love. It is a gray, green, blue depending on the time of day/light. I love it!
    I just did our bedroom in BM thundercloud gray. It has blue undertones and is perfect for the gray/white/navy palette I wanted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mommy to my 2 sandy boys

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**If you live in the New England area and want to join the local Yahoo group for BBBers, please PM me for more info!**

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast