Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Would you let your child go to a protest in big city?

As many of you have probably noticed, I am not super risk adverse. My teenager (freshman in high school) wants to go to a student led protest Downtown in the big city where we live. Thus far, the protests here have been peaceful but we have had violent protests in our city within the last 5 years, and overall a high crime rate. I also am concerned about the coronavirus risk given how tight the crowds are. Would you let your child go? Why or why not? Dh is supporting her wanting to go which is making for a lot of drama here.

I would not at this time. Partly because of Coronavirus and partly because things have escalated quickly in so many places. A run of the mill peaceful protest that is not during a pandemic and a time of widespread riots? Sure, totally different situation.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

div_0305 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    I would not at this time. Partly because of Coronavirus and partly because things have escalated quickly in so many places. A run of the mill peaceful protest that is not during a pandemic and a time of widespread riots? Sure, totally different situation.

I would definitely encourage other means of protesting and expressing her voice though.

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

During daylight hours and NOT during a pandemic, maybe. Depending on the teen, the group they are going with, ect.

Definitely NOT once the sun goes down.

...and NOT during a pandemic.

ETA: Can your teen protest in your own community? We have seen some small rallies in our little town!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

No. Things are going to turn bad even quicker now, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I am also usually much less cautious than Mann on this board. But, given that so many rally's have grown violent and the sheer volitility of this situation I would not. Transit in some cities has closed down leaving people stranded, roads blocked, so getting out of there could be very difficult and risky.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

last week MAYBE if you're in an area where people wear masks and distance but more and more protests have gotten violent way too fast. And the danger of the virus has not gone away. I predict a bunch of new clusters in 2 weeks
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

We are in the same city I think . Yes, I am allowing my oldest (17 yo) to go. I definitely have reservations, but it seems important to him and I have a lot of faith in him and his friends. The protest seems fairly well organized and I hope won't attract any chaos. He knows where to go if things start to get out of hand, and I have told him to be sure to be home well before dark. He will be wearing a mask, and knows that he needs to leave if things get too dense (or any whiff of violence). Not sure I would let my daughter who is 14 go though. She has not asked, but if she wanted to go I would probably go with her. (not because she is a girl, just younger)

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

No. I would not allow. If they had social media, I would encourage them to post their feelings and probably have more influence to their peers that avenue anyways.
    K

WitMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Nope. No way.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast