elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Bookcase Beds for Kids?

What do you think of bookcase beds for kids rooms? I've always preferred the cleaner look of a regular headboard, but I could see kids liking these as they get older. But they do have a tendency to look messy and they don't seem like they would be as comfortable since your pillow isn't butting up against a flat surface. Anyway, I thought I would ask others opinions on bookcase beds and whether you like them or hate them or any advice you have on the subject.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DS had a bookcase twin from age 3 to about 10, and now has a full size bookcase headboard. We have loved both. The only problem we have had is that the lamp we originally put on the headboard kept getting knocked over when he jumped on the bed! We got our bookcase twin, with the bookcase on one long side, at MOR furniture and really loved it. Is also had storage drawers underneath and a cute little door where little ones could crawl underneath.

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We purchased this bed for my son a few years ago (McKenzie Twin Bookcase bed): http://www.whittierwood.com/prod/wwffid/wwffid9.html

DS has a small room with a large picture window on one wall, large sliding closet doors on another wall, and the entrance door and bathroom door on a third wall There is really only one wall to place furniture. He picked out this bed and still likes it. (I wish his room were large enough for a queen, but it is what it is...I would have purchased the McKenzie Queen Bookcase Storage Bed (page 2)). I like that there is a cabinet below the shelf to help with the pillow concerns you mentioned. Inside the cabinet, there are two hidden compartments --one is a huge space behind the mattress and below the cabinet that we use to store extra blankets; the other one is more easily accessible inside the cabinet. The bed has three very nice large drawers beneath the mattress.

We also purchased a night stand and the tall dresser. The tall dresser is on the wall with the bathroom door. The wall with the bed has a tall bookshelf, the bookcase bed, and night stand. The bookcase has built in lighting, but we also have a lamp on the night stand.

I have been very happy with this purchase. My DS likes it too... he will be a senior this year.

Best wishes with your decision.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My 15 year old has this one and has for a while...about 6 years. He loves it. I put baskets in the cubbies and that keeps it looking nicer. What is behind the doors is his own hidden hot mess.

https://www.pbteen.com/products/girl...ds&isx=0.0.514
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DD has one, but the bookcase is on one of the long sides of the bed, so it's more of a daybed kind of thing. It also has storage drawers underneath and a little door to get under the bed to access more open storage. It's been very useful. I don't remember when we got it for her, but I'm guessing she was 12 or 13. Still going strong now!

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by smilequeen View Post
    My 15 year old has this one and has for a while...about 6 years. He loves it. I put baskets in the cubbies and that keeps it looking nicer. What is behind the doors is his own hidden hot mess.

https://www.pbteen.com/products/girl...ds&isx=0.0.514
    I had some beds already picked out but I hadn't seen this one. It would match a desk that's already in his room.