jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default What precautions to take after air travel?

A friend of mine just found out she has to travel for work. She’ll be flying and staying overnight in a hotel. Her family has been mostly quarantined at home with trips to the grocery store every 2nd or 3rd week. She plans to wear a mask, has hand sanitizer and wipes. Her kids are staying with their grandparents overnight. Does she need to quarantine from her kids when she gets home? The kids are older, 11 and 15, so would be able to manage light meals and housekeeping themselves if needed. Is that overkill? Would she be fine to resume home life as normal when she returns? She asked me so I figured I would check here. TIA

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default What precautions to take after air travel?

I would return to her normal routine if she is happy with that. Is she going to an area that has a lot of infections? If she really wants one I would maybe have her take a covid 19 test, but tbh there are still a bunch of testing snafus/delays unless your lab is owned or on site and run by your health care provider, and at least here those tests are still prescribed by the provider and are only prescribed if you have a procedure scheduled.

I know this isn’t a popular opinion but at some point we are all going to have to get back to normal life and this might be a good starting point for your friend. If she goes on this trip and then comes home and continues to stay at home that should be fine. I wouldn’t self quarantine for 14 days unless I was having symptoms.

ETA: if the grandparents have underlying conditions then yes I would quarantine from them so if the grandparents are cool dropping off the kids when she returns and returning straight home then that would be okay imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 06-02-2020 at 02:05 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would avoid the grandparents for 14 days after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avoid grandparents for 14 days following trip. She can decrease her risk during the trip and that's where I would put my energy, which it sounds like she is doing.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

California is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

In her shoes I'd want to know if there are any state, local, or private company restrictions after airline travel. For instance, I can't go on campus if I've traveled by air, bus, or train within the past 14 days, or take my kids to the dentist or orthodontist. Not a big deal at the moment, but could change our travel plans for the end of summer.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I agree with California.

I wouldn't quarantine from my household family, but I would self-isolate at home for at least 10 days (CDC may reduce the quarantine from 14 down to 10) so as to not contribute to a possible community spread at work or public.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.