Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Ask around first!
    They aren’t needed though. Just find somewhere quiet to practice like a school or church parking lot. You’ll be able to do speed practices, turns...
    5 would be more than enough. You would just maybe want them to learn parallel parking.
    Look at sporting good stores if you fail through your friends. It is not an expense worth incurring though.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    I agree. Parallel parking might be the only reason to get them. Ds1 has his drivers test a year ago and was told that they don’t test for parallel parking anymore.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    I agree. Parallel parking might be the only reason to get them. Ds1 has his drivers test a year ago and was told that they don’t test for parallel parking anymore.
    That’s crazy! Knowing how to parallel park is a must here as we do a ton in the city. Back up cameras only help so much if you don’t have the basics. It’s just a life skill...what will those new drivers do If they ever travel somewhere without big old parking lots? Drive around for an hour looking for a space they can pull into? Yikes! My teen needs some more practice and confidence with parallel parking for sure though, even though he practiced a bunch for his test. He told me of a date a few months ago and how far away he parked because he couldn’t confidently parallel park in. Luckily the girl didn’t hold that long walk against him.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Really?! That seems like a good change to me. I can’t remember the last time I had to parallel park (but I won’t mention how often I drove around a bit looking for another option...).

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    That’s crazy! Knowing how to parallel park is a must here as we do a ton in the city. Back up cameras only help so much if you don’t have the basics. It’s just a life skill...what will those new drivers do If they ever travel somewhere without big old parking lots? Drive around for an hour looking for a space they can pull into? Yikes! My teen needs some more practice and confidence with parallel parking for sure though, even though he practiced a bunch for his test. He told me of a date a few months ago and how far away he parked because he couldn’t confidently parallel park in. Luckily the girl didn’t hold that long walk against him.

I agree it’s crazy but then I think it’s even crazier that teens can get a driver’s license without taking a driving test. Not sure if that was just a COVID19 thing.

I had to laugh about parallel parking on a date. Knowing how boy teens are, you would think that knowing in advance they had to parallel park with their date in their car, they’d practice for hours to get it right!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I wouldn't spend the money, there are ways to practice without buying things. Use what you have, we just did lots or practice in parking lots etc and then on subdivision streets etc.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We didn't have to show that we could parallel park when I got my license in the 90s and that was in the Greater LA area!

(PS I still can't really parallel park. AKA, going into LA proper is stressful!)

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Cardboard boxes.

They still test for it in TX

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I’m terrible at parallel parking. I didn’t have to parallel park during my drive test back in the day. I don’t think they do now either, but I’m not sure. I think it’s def a useful parking skill.

I think DH will be the main parental driving instructor!
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2