Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Beginner sewing machine

My daughter wants a sewing machine for her birthday, which is next week. My plan was to keep an eye out on craigslist, NextDoor, Buy Nothing, etc. but of course those haven't been options for several months now. I had also heard Costco sells a good beginner Brother sewing machine for under $150. However, Costco doesn't have any Brothers right now. I've been looking online but it seems many sewing machines are out of stock. I've looked at Joann, Michael's, Sears, and Walmart websites.

So, if anyone has suggestions about where else I can look for a good beginner (but not toy-like, something that could work for her for a while, if she sticks with it) sewing machine, or wants to recommend a certain machine, I'd love to hear about it.

chlobo is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We got an earlier version of this sewing machine for my daughter. It didn't have the wide platform, which looks useful.

I really like it and I successfully used it to make many masks. Now sure where you can find it in stock though. Maybe check a local sewing machine store?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-F...1-0-CT/6005475

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh, that's a tough one since sewing machines are like gold these days! I have a Janome Jem Gold which is a mechanical 3/4 size portable machine that I got after reading a ton of reviews and it is a small and mighty beast, sewing just as well as a full sized expensive machine but with the benefit of taking up less space and being portable (it is loved by quilters for taking to quilting classes). I think it cost $200...but it's a super high quality machine (not a cheap beginner's machine) and I specifically wanted a mechanical one (not computerized) that would be easier to service if needed. I love it so much, and my kids could totally learn on it, if they wanted to. I have since purchased additional feet/attachments for it but it comes with everything you would need - I haven't found a sewing application that it can't handle so far and I've done quilts, fleece hats, making stuffed toys, masks (including pleated ones which some machines struggle with because of the layers of fabric)...

Janome has some cheaper basic mechanical starter models that I would imagine are good quality machines, starting at around $150ish. I agree with the rec above to call local sewing stores/sewing machine service centers and see if they have anything but my guess it it could be tough to find something good!

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    Oh, that's a tough one since sewing machines are like gold these days! I have a Janome Jem Gold which is a mechanical 3/4 size portable machine that I got after reading a ton of reviews and it is a small and mighty beast, sewing just as well as a full sized expensive machine but with the benefit of taking up less space and being portable (it is loved by quilters for taking to quilting classes). I think it cost $200...but it's a super high quality machine (not a cheap beginner's machine) and I specifically wanted a mechanical one (not computerized) that would be easier to service if needed. I love it so much, and my kids could totally learn on it, if they wanted to. I have since purchased additional feet/attachments for it but it comes with everything you would need - I haven't found a sewing application that it can't handle so far and I've done quilts, fleece hats, making stuffed toys, masks (including pleated ones which some machines struggle with because of the layers of fabric)...

Janome has some cheaper basic mechanical starter models that I would imagine are good quality machines, starting at around $150ish. I agree with the rec above to call local sewing stores/sewing machine service centers and see if they have anything but my guess it it could be tough to find something good!
    I'm glad to know of your experience with your Janome. I wasn't familiar with that brand. Yours sounds great. I love the idea of mechanical vs computerized. The only Janomes I've seen have been really high end ones, or the really small inexpensive one (I forget the name but it doesn't matter bc it's sold out everywhere). I definitely want one that's high enough quality to be reliable for years. I have heard Singers aren't the quality they were decades ago, so Brother was the only brand I knew to be decent. I will call some local shops today (hard to do when she's always in the house!). Fingers crossed, but I know it's a tough time to find one. Everyone has recently discovered (or rediscovered) just how useful sewing machines are, with all the mask making going on!

Thanks for your replies.

jerigirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

You're going to have a very tough time finding a good entry level sewing machine right now. Most manufacturers are not shipping from overseas right now. I talked to a Janome dealer yesterday that said maybe mid July he will have some in stock.
    jeri
    DS 6/10/06
    DS2 9/1/10

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My mom has had two mechanical Janomes in the last 25 years or so. She refuses to use a computerized machine. I would definitely go with a Janome. I have a 42 year old Kenmore (which was made by Janome when Kenmore sold sewing machines) that still runs well and once you get over threading the bobbin it’s great. It is just heavy.

The Janome Jem models aren’t listed on their website under machines, but if you search Jem or Gold they come up in search results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am not knowledgeable about sewing machines or sewing, but DDs share and like this Janome machine.

https://www.janome.com/arctic-crystal
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Duplicate post
    Last edited by MMMommy; 06-06-2020 at 01:26 AM.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

Thanks to everyone, especially those of you who shared your love for Janome. I decided I wanted one of those, and called three local shops. They each had some options and said their inventory is constantly shifting these days bc distributors give them 1-2 machines here and there as they can, and demand has been very high for several months. I found a good machine for a good price, so I'm thrilled! The one I bought is actually called the Baby Lock Joy but it's made by Janome and is the exact same machine as the Janome Mod 19, which I'd been looking at.

Thanks to everyone, especially those of you who shared your love for Janome. I decided I wanted one of those, and called three local shops. They each had some options and said their inventory is constantly shifting these days bc distributors give them 1-2 machines here and there as they can, and demand has been very high for several months. I found a good machine for a good price, so I'm thrilled! The one I bought is actually called the Baby Lock Joy but it's made by Janome and is the exact same machine as the Janome Mod 19, which I'd been looking at.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast