MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Need iron supplement recommendation

My hair has been falling out for the last few years. She checked my ferritin which was low (I'd been trying to get someone to run a ferritin tests for years but they all told me I was fine, so I Was pumped when she did it without asking) and told me to get a supplement. I would like something with the least side effects possible. I am allergic to beef, so no beef liver. Suggestions?

gatorsmom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Are you iron deficient due to menstrual cycle changes?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I take Floradix when I feel low on iron, especially after I have had my period. My midwives recommended it when I was anemic in all my pregnancies. It's pricey which is the main downside, no side effects and it seems to work.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Are you iron deficient due to menstrual cycle changes?
    I don't think so. My periods aren't heavy. I've been battling this for at least 5 years and my GP back then did check my ferritin and it was around the same (20) then. She gave me iron then for 6 months and it never got rechecked because she left and the new one only ran a CBC and not a ferritin check. After that I couldn't get anyone to check it. I don't really know what's causing it other than my kids are both on iron for low ferritin as well, so maybe genetic??

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I like floradix but find the liquid annoying and a bit inconvenient so I sometimes take Blood builder by Mega Food. For me, my stomach Struggles with lots of supplements so I do best to combine one of those with a magnesium (I like mag glycinate by natural calm).

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    I don't think so. My periods aren't heavy. I've been battling this for at least 5 years and my GP back then did check my ferritin and it was around the same (20) then. She gave me iron then for 6 months and it never got rechecked because she left and the new one only ran a CBC and not a ferritin check. After that I couldn't get anyone to check it. I don't really know what's causing it other than my kids are both on iron for low ferritin as well, so maybe genetic??
    I have really heavy periods but I still think there is a genetic component for me too...My body just doesn’t absorb supplements well, MTHFR gene mutation.

gatorsmom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    Hmm. I was just going to say, rather than adding iron to your diet (something I couldn’t do without getting really sick), my doc prescribed different things to prevent iron loss. But if you aren’t bleeding heavily then my advice isn’t going to help. I hope you can find some relief from this. Having low iron is an awful feeling.

These two are supposed to be well-absorbed and tolerated, in general: PlantForce Liquid Iron by Gaia (a liquid) and iron bisglycinate by Thorne (pills). I haven't taken either, but my daughter has taken both and my friend takes the Thorne pills. My friend and I go to the same ND, who recommends the Thorne pills, and my chiropractor recommended the liquid.