Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I'd also have her take Algebra I in 8th grade. It opens up more options. If she doesn't want to do Calculus in 12th, there are likely other options she can take instead. But, it would be a choice.

Two of mine took Algebra I in 7th grade and DS2 just finished it in 6th (he's an outlier in the district though). They all liked being in the advanced class as it moves a little faster and easier because the kids are more geared to do it.
    Kris

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

What I learned is that if you start on a more advanced track, you have flexibility. DD is good at math but doesn't love it, she started on the path which would lead to two terms of calc in high school. But she knows herself, that she does not want to spend 4 hours on math every night, so she has not always taken the most advanced path available to her. Next year as an 11th grader, she was given three possibilities, so she chose the path she wanted.

Both my DH and I are scientists and we think it's good to have one year of calc in high school if possible, because in our experience you will learn it better in college.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by squimp View Post
    What I learned is that if you start on a more advanced track, you have flexibility. DD is good at math but doesn't love it, she started on the path which would lead to two terms of calc in high school. But she knows herself, that she does not want to spend 4 hours on math every night, so she has not always taken the most advanced path available to her. Next year as an 11th grader, she was given three possibilities, so she chose the path she wanted.

Both my DH and I are scientists and we think it's good to have one year of calc in high school if possible, because in our experience you will learn it better in college.
    I agree with this POV. I do think it is hard to know in 7th grade what your DC will want to do in college and beyond. But I've discovered that by not taking the hard enough classes some pathways don't necessarily close entirely but they become much more difficult to follow.

DS1 wants to be a physicist and that requires high math achievement. His middle school didn't give him the opportunity to pursue the very elite higher math option offered (its a long story) and as a result he had to take 2 years worth of math as a freshman. It wasn't super fun for him but it was possible. It would have been a lot easier to simply take the course in 8th grade.

Algebra is standard here in 8th grade. The advanced kids take it in 7th (or 6th for the very advanced kids). Only remedial kids in our district take algebra in 9th.

So yes, she should definitely take algebra in 8th grade.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Yes, if she's getting good grades in math (can't do better than A+!), and is o.k. sticking with the current rigor, I would definitely have her continue on the path and take Algebra next year. I agree with PP that, often, the 'better' teachers teach the advanced classes (that was DH's and my experience in high school with AP classes and such), and the kids in those advanced classes are often more focused, with fewer behavior issues than in some of the 'average' level or remedial classes. Also, many kids like to continue on with the peers that they've been tracked with for many years, and the positive peer pressure helps them rise to the challenges in the new class. My oldest is going into middle school, and the teachers and principal advised for them to continue on in their current level- they can always drop down a level, but it's harder to bump up a level after starting out lower. They'll have a while to figure it out at the beginning of the year and can change classes if things are too difficult and overwhelming, but she may as well try it out right away!
    I was in the highest math class through at least 10th grade, then knew I wanted to go into the humanities in college, so I took regular Calculus in 12th grade, rather than AB or BC. I was still able to get into a really good college, but did have to take Calculus again my freshman year in college to fulfill the math requirement. I was dumb and took statistics and probability or something my first semester, thinking it would be easier than calculus, but boy, was I wrong! That was much rougher than calculus was for me second semester!
    Last edited by ourbabygirl; 06-03-2020 at 10:57 PM.

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would have her take algebra in 8th, not necessarily in preparation for college, but because it just seems pretty standard. My current 11th grader took algebra 1 in 7th grade, geometry in 8th, and algebra 2 in 9th. My best friend's DD is starting 9th in the fall, coming from a private catholic school, and after the placement test they placed her in pre-algebra for 9th grade. She can challenge it by retesting and I said she should (the same thing happened to me in 9th grade and I challenged it and they moved me). It's still possible for my friend's DD to get to calculus since she can always take a summer math course one year to get ahead again.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

wallawala is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    Algebra is standard here in 8th grade. The advanced kids take it in 7th (or 6th for the very advanced kids). Only remedial kids in our district take algebra in 9th.

So yes, she should definitely take algebra in 8th grade.

Yes to this. Math has a lot of variety, she may not love algebra, but might find spatial math like Geometry and Trig more fun. At our current public school algebra in 8th grade is standard track.

I was on an advanced math path in MS/HS (took Calc II in HS and sat for AP calculus and IB calculus exams)- and deeply HATED algebra. I still struggle sometimes with addition- but geometry/trig and calculus saved my opinion of math. Keep her on track even if she doesn't love it, it may get better!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3