Thread: Medical costs

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Medical costs

Just so frustrated. The only doctor I have ever received any actual help from is now out of network so I’ll have to pay 100% OOP. There is also a $25 per person per month membership fee and most treatments are alternative so of course pricey and OOP. So we can’t just pay OOP when we need to be seen, we have to keep up membership for each person if we want to be able to stay in the practice ....We have spent 1000’s on supplements alone over the last 3 years. Then we just got a $700 bill from the dentist for a root canal that insurance refused to pay even though it should have been covered. Something about the tooth not being worth fixing. Seriously. When I talked to insurance today they offered me names of other doctors that are in network. Ugh that doesn’t help....there are no other doctors exactly like this in my state, period. And I’m mad at my doc too because they posted on social media that patients with our insurance could self file not that they’re OON and that some would end up “better off” which is so aggravating. As if suddenly going out of network was a good thing?! Certainly not for me until I reach 3000 deductible when I can look forward to paying 40% rather than 100%. Turns out my doc hasn’t even filed this year although I have visited so so far I have reached 0% of my 3K OON deductible.

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I feel you pain and am sorry you have to deal with this. My favorite doctor became a concierge doctor and charges a $1000 yearly membership fee. It is so hard to find a good doctor, accepting new patients, and takes your insurance --- even when you have "good insurance"!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

What in the membership for the doctor? That is so aggravating! I'm so sorry. I get finding a connection to a doctor that really understands you and helps you. I do think sometimes the cost is worth it but it is devastating when the financials change for the worst.'

And as to dentistry, my HSA company has a policy that they automatically require EOBs for dental bills because dentists bill incorrectly so often! Good luck in that struggle. How preposterous that they're pushing back on that!

Not the same thing, but a friend of mine who also has a child with type 1 diabetes got her insurance through her DHs work. He's been with the same government contractor company for years. All of a sudden they went from offering a Kaiser HMO to a Kaiser high deductible plan. She figured it was the equivalent of getting a salary deduction of several thousand dollars a year. It really hurt!!

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Healthcare payment issues can be so incredibly frustrating. Our insurance payment system is so broken. One note though -- if you haven't, check the rules for your particular insurance. Some plans *will* allow you to self-file for OON providers. It probably won't cover everything and definitely wouldn't cover a membership fee or alternative treatments, but maybe it will be of some help.
    Lizi

I'm sorry. Healthcare in this country is such a hassle.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Liziz View Post
    Healthcare payment issues can be so incredibly frustrating. Our insurance payment system is so broken. One note though -- if you haven't, check the rules for your particular insurance. Some plans *will* allow you to self-file for OON providers. It probably won't cover everything and definitely wouldn't cover a membership fee or alternative treatments, but maybe it will be of some help.
    They said it will cover 40% only after I reach a $3000 deductible. $0 before that 😫

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    What in the membership for the doctor? That is so aggravating! I'm so sorry. I get finding a connection to a doctor that really understands you and helps you. I do think sometimes the cost is worth it but it is devastating when the financials change for the worst.'

And as to dentistry, my HSA company has a policy that they automatically require EOBs for dental bills because dentists bill incorrectly so often! Good luck in that struggle. How preposterous that they're pushing back on that!

Not the same thing, but a friend of mine who also has a child with type 1 diabetes got her insurance through her DHs work. He's been with the same government contractor company for years. All of a sudden they went from offering a Kaiser HMO to a Kaiser high deductible plan. She figured it was the equivalent of getting a salary deduction of several thousand dollars a year. It really hurt!!
    Yes, a good point about insurance changes costing the employee more money and effectively being a paycut. Having no control over what plan you have is unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by Percycat View Post
    I feel you pain and am sorry you have to deal with this. My favorite doctor became a concierge doctor and charges a $1000 yearly membership fee. It is so hard to find a good doctor, accepting new patients, and takes your insurance --- even when you have "good insurance"!
    I mean, I really think the quality of care is so much better. And our monthly fee grants us access to email and phone number to our docs...it has been amazing to text our doc and get a quick response. Plus the fee limits her patient load which means we really feel known and appreciated as part of the circle...which is really a good feeling. I’ve been in urgent care texting my doc and it has made a lot of difference...so I think it’s worth it...just still is so expensive.