Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I dont do nearly enough in making them do more chores - dd1 is quite the primma donna. They set/clear the table. They make their own breakfasts and lunches. I do assign summer work and they need to play their violins 6 days a week.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Summer is when I ramp up what is expected of them.

We do a lot of lists. Certain days are designated house work days and everyone has to pitch in.

Laundry is one job I have them do in the summer. One kid is in charge of all three kid laundry. Right now it has fallen to youngest (10 year old) since older ones have different jobs. During the school year this is one I take back.

For meals and such, I start forcing their hand by being gone. I intentionally go to the store or schedule appointments. Leave the house and make clear expectations about what they should be doing.

Meal prep as we've been staying home so much has killed me in the past three months. Whenever there's a nice day I take the evening off. Take my snacks and book to the deck and tell them to make it happen. If I'm there they fall to me way too much. It's better for me not to watch the process.

The extra time at home has allowed more time for teaching some things I'd tended to just do or get frustrated with their efforts. We've had some crash courses on bathroom cleaning, basic meal prep (boiling noodles, grilled cheese, scrambled eggs), yard work, floor mopping, etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2