Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

DS got my mom's old car, but he did not get it until after he had his license. He practiced on my/dh's car. I'm not sure I would have bought him his own car, but it has been kind of handy. I agree one more car is kind of a pain- especially since his is older, just more maintenance issues etc.

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My dad gave DS his Honda accord when he turned 16. My parents downsized to one car and borrow one of ours if they need a second car. My parents live down the street from us and DS had lots of practice on my dad's car, as well as my accord and DH's odyssey. My dad gave it to DS after he turned 16 because he wanted DS to be the primary insured. Having DS drive my parents car would significantly affect their umbrella policy. The car is in my name and DS's name and DS is primary insured.

I'm not sure how the car is insured when the driver has a permit, because the insurance is through the licensed driver. DS also has to drive to school, so there was incentive to have him drive as soon as possible. He got his license in February, but we didn't get the school parking pass until the next school year. DS has to drive a "highway" during morning rush hour for a 15 minute commute and I wasn't comfortable with him as a new driver dealing with St. Louis February driving.

My DD is a permit driver now. She will probably get my car and I will get a new car... She will also get her license in February, so no driving to school at first. DS will be at college.... if he can't take his car, she may wind up driving his. We don't need 4 cars at our house!

NCGrandma is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Many colleges don’t allow freshmen to have cars. Just so you aren’t surprised!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Not sure what the rules are at my university but many people have noticed that the cars in the student parking lots are generally much nicer than those in the faculty lots!!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default So if your teen has a car, did you buy it before they turned 16?

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    Not sure what the rules are at my university but many people have noticed that the cars in the student parking lots are generally much nicer than those in the faculty lots!!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    It usually just applies to those who live on campus at least here in California. The university near where I grew up had way more housing units for freshman than they did parking spots in recent years as it has become one of the top universities in California (#11 public per US News, and #39 of all colleges nationwide) so they started saying no freshman cars on campus because commuters still needed a place to park. The residence halls are mainly just for freshman and then they only have married student housing. Anyone who lives in the dorm who isn’t a freshman is most likely an RA. The city is very bike friendly as well so most kids live off campus after freshman year and bike everywhere or take the student run bus that services the city.

For the OP I started driving my mom’s 1984 Chevy Caprice wagon and it was not a comfortable experience for me at all. My parents ended up buying a 1988 Subaru GL wagon (predecessor to the Legacy wagon) and I was much more comfortable with that. I might try him wit the GL though. I would probably look at a mid size SUV like a Pathfinder, Pilot, 4 Runner or Jeep. My co worker has no issues using a Scion XB to shuttle her grandkids around to and from hockey (they are 17, and 14) but she is also 5’2”, but not sure that would work for a 6’ tall growing teen. Hockey sticks are indeed giant. Dd1’s stick is almost as tall as I am (5’6”) and she is barely 5’3” .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 06-05-2020 at 01:36 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My brother got a new car when our oldest was 15, so he gifted that 10 yr old car to my son (subaru legacy). So, our son has used that car to practice in and it will be his car whenever the DMV opens up and he can take his driver's exam for his license (he was supposed to take it in late March). He is enrolled for his junior year for an engineering (degree) program at a local college campus in our area, so he will need to get himself to and from school next year.

I have another son that will be turning 15 this summer (in our state, they an get their temps at 15.5 yrs old of age), and mil and fil have already agreed to give their old lexus suv (the small one, RX350... it is about 20 years old, but has low miles), because mil hasn't really driven for the past few years anyway, so there is no reason for them to have two cars, fil just got a new car last year. My son is involved in a lot of after school activities, so he will need a car and I'd prefer if he learned to drive in the vehicle he will be using.

For reference, I drive a 3 row SUV, so don't really want my kids learning to drive in my car and DH, drives a sporty luxury vehicle and *I* don't even want to drive his car since he is so anal about it, the kids probably wouldn't feel comfortable practicing in his car either.

Also, maybe we are weird, we want our kids to learn to drive without cameras, so that they KNOW how to drive without a camera.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Percycat View Post
    My dad gave DS his Honda accord when he turned 16. My parents downsized to one car and borrow one of ours if they need a second car. My parents live down the street from us and DS had lots of practice on my dad's car, as well as my accord and DH's odyssey. My dad gave it to DS after he turned 16 because he wanted DS to be the primary insured. Having DS drive my parents car would significantly affect their umbrella policy. The car is in my name and DS's name and DS is primary insured.

I'm not sure how the car is insured when the driver has a permit, because the insurance is through the licensed driver. DS also has to drive to school, so there was incentive to have him drive as soon as possible. He got his license in February, but we didn't get the school parking pass until the next school year. DS has to drive a "highway" during morning rush hour for a 15 minute commute and I wasn't comfortable with him as a new driver dealing with St. Louis February driving.

My DD is a permit driver now. She will probably get my car and I will get a new car... She will also get her license in February, so no driving to school at first. DS will be at college.... if he can't take his car, she may wind up

driving his. We don't need 4 cars at our house!
    Did you agent say it was cheaper if your DS was primary driver on the Accord, vs you being primary and him secondary. Around here (and we are home to Corporate HQ for State Farm and everyone works there), I know many people who have 3 vehicles, but never have the teen listed at primary, and it is totally legal, even if they drive it to school. When friends were starting out they assumed that their DD had to be primary, but nope, their agent said not necessary and it saved them hundred of dollars.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    Did you agent say it was cheaper if your DS was primary driver on the Accord, vs you being primary and him secondary. Around here (and we are home to Corporate HQ for State Farm and everyone works there), I know many people who have 3 vehicles, but never have the teen listed at primary, and it is totally legal, even if they drive it to school. When friends were starting out they assumed that their DD had to be primary, but nope, their agent said not necessary and it saved them hundred of dollars.
    Definitely state by state!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3