Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default I have like 50 mosquito bites

Have you found anything helpful for them? I have never in my country bumpkin life had so many. I was wearing bug spray and those little bracelets too along with citronella candles burning around us. They are mostly on the back of my legs. I was outside last night for nearly 5 hours having distanced girls night in my friend’s backyard which was worth it but seriously 😳 Totally another COVID complaint because otherwise we would have been in a nice AC restaurant eating shrimp and drinking cocktails.

DD just counted. Over 75 bites!!

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

What's your lot like? Standing water is the big thing - all standing water needs to be removed or treated, and mosquitos can breed in insanely small amounts of standing water. For our house, we use Mosquito bits (an organic control, order from Amazon), and every 2-3 weeks, especially after it rains, I sprinkle it in the gutters, in all our pool deck drains (enough water sits in there for mosquitos to breed), any other drains including the overflow drain around the house, and then I sprinkle a little all around the perimeter of the house in case I missed a source of standing water. Look carefully - any cupped surface that can collect water can breed mosquitos - this includes some plants, the crotch of some trees, a discarded soda bottle cap turned upside-down, etc. Mosquito Bits have made a HUGE difference for us - we were previously paying for a mosquito spray service which uses chemicals and we have been able to stop using them (and the chemicals!). I have a natural garlic spray that I'll use if we have any planned extended outdoor time but it is a repellant only. I have not gotten ANY bites this year, and I'm a mosquito magnet! I have also noticed a lot more birds and geckos in our yard. Though it's possible this is less about stopping the chemical spray and more about COVID-19 and overall pollution. But I like to think the geckos and birds are definitely healthier not eating bugs that have been sprayed with chemicals.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 06-04-2020 at 10:31 AM.

Thank you I am looking that up! Never heard of this!

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    Thank you I am looking that up! Never heard of this!
    Use the regular Mosquito Bits, not the "Quick Kill": https://www.amazon.com/Summit-Respon...84&sr=8-1&th=1

div_0305 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Are you sure they are mosquito bites and not flea bites? Either way, I got this tip from the BBB years ago, and it's been a lifesaver--Zyrtec! It really cuts down the itching and inflammation. Goodness!

ETA: I thought fleas only because you said they were mostly on your legs.

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

never heard of the mosquito bits, thank you! I'm a mosquito magnet. Wish I had any tips, keep 'em coming!

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

2nd taking some Zyrtec to help with the itching. IME it is usually day 2-3 that is the worst. Apple Cider Vinegar can help (doesn’t help me). Others say Preparation H helps. Google has lots of potential remedies.

This won’t help you since it wasn’t your yard but we have our yard sprayed for mosquitoes and it is a night and day difference. I know it is horrible for the environment and I stay away from most chemicals but it is the difference of me being able to be outside or not. Mosquitos have loved me my whole life. We have a pool and it is so nice to sit outside anytime and not worry about being bit. I do get a stray bite or two, especially when it is close to time for them to spray again. Some places have a “no bite” guarantee. They spray once a month March-October. I think it is $45/month.

Aishe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I already take Zyrtec daily and it does nothing for bites for me, unfortunately. But Benadryl cream helps a lot. I get really grotesque reactions to bites (think baseball sized welts) and the Benadryl cream is the only thing I’ve found that has any effect. It’s not a miracle worker, but it definitely helps with the itching.

Moneypenny is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I learned this from my grandmother - wash the bites with cold water and Ivory soap (just the plain old bar). It really does help with the itching!
    Moneypenny
    DD is 19!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast