Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Feeling left out- everyone else around here has gone back to normal!

It’s like COVID19 never happened. It’s been beautiful weather here but book club last night was planned for inside someone’s house so I didn’t go. DD has been invited to a friend’s house tonight. Ds1 could drive her because he’s going to the same house where the high schoolers plan to have a bonfire and watch a movie on the side of the house. But dd and her friend were going to stay inside and bake, play games and watch movies inside. I said she couldn’t go. Ds1 can go. Friends are inviting us to college graduation parties but they are inside so we just send a card. It’s like life is going on as normal and nobody wants to talk about the 1or 2 new community spread cases that have been popping up here daily. I don’t get it!! The weather is great, why not meet outside? I don’t want anyone to get hurt but somehow our community needs an eye opener before fall. I’m concerned about what will happen to our relatively uninfected community this fall. Our town has 50 ICU beds. It doesn’t sound like a lot for a town of 75,000 people.

Oh and I’m not sure what news everyone here has been reading. A teacher at our school said she heard early on NOT to wear masks. Um, yeah, that was 3 months ago! Or the crazy doctor who we thought was sane until he said he and his 20 grandchildren are trying to catch the virus so they can develop herd immunity. Well, that’s great but we won’t be hanging out with you and your grandkids then, for several months. We can’t catch this. Maybe this belongs in the the bitching post.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 06-04-2020 at 11:28 AM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We're in a similar situation. DH is in the HVAC industry and does not want to be inside with people. He's seen numerous studies about air flow and transfer of COVID and doesn't feel comfortable unless he knows how the air flows. This is saying a lot because DH is the much more relaxed person in our relationship, so when he's not comfortable with something I listen. We have a friend who is getting married this weekend and we aren't going. I'm upset because I really want to go see people, but instead of having their reception outside under a nice big tent (which would be totally doable), they're having it inside a small hall. Yep, not going. And I'm certainly not going to the church because the bride even told us it's going to be tight in there. Our other friends think we're nuts for not going. We've had other invitations inside that we've also turned down and I'm sure we're the only ones. I have a board meeting next week and they're holding it in a small conference room. I have no desire to go, there's no reason we couldn't have it outside.

We live in a small rural county of about 30,000 people with only 20 ICU beds I believe. I don't think people fully understand what could happen here if it all blows up. They're all living their normal lives. Going to the big city where the cases were high. It's so frustrating. We also have a case or two daily. We can do things smartly, no one just wants to.

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I'm honestly kind of jealous of all those people who have moved on. We're in somewhat of a hotspot so things haven't opened up to that extent, but starting to loosen a bit. I'm still second guessing every scratchy throat (allergies) or muscle ache from yoga. I wish I had it in me to loosen up a bit, but the news is still not that great here.

Default Feeling left out- everyone else around here has gone back to normal!

I feel the same way except we have not seen anyone or gone anywhere since March 13 since DH is extremely high risk. All of my friends are living their lives and having birthday parties for their kids like it never existed. They don’t wear masks. They don’t have anyone in their families who might die if they do get covid. As soon as TJ Maxx opened, they went shopping. They are having pool parties and going on vacation.

I want to go everywhere and see everyone like we used to every day, but DH is extremely high risk (more than 5 risk factors). We have had all of travel plans cancelled every month since March due to covid. I can’t take that chance at all. I can’t risk his life to go somewhere that someone might have it.

Disney Springs opened up the end of May and all of my mommy friends have gone and took their kids. Universal opened yesterday and they are going to the park like covid doesn’t exist at all.

My sister is coming down from Brooklyn in mid June. We won’t see her until Independence Day, so that she can quarantine for 2 weeks. My mom is already mad at me that my sister won’t be able to see us for 2 weeks. She said she’s fine since she got the covid antibody test and it came back negative. What about the 3 weeks that she will still be in Brooklyn and the drive from New York to Florida. I’m just simply trying to protect my family.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by rollycolly2007; 06-04-2020 at 12:40 PM.
    DS (02/15)
    UPPAbaby Mesa 2015
    Now Clek Foonf 2016

I think for those who live in areas that isn’t hotspots or high number of cases is hard. You’re in the minority, from what it sounds like and I agree right now is such an ideal time to meet outdoors only.

I would continue to do what you’re comfortable and keep monitoring what June looks like. Then look again for July etc. I’m the opposite of you, live in one of hardest hits areas with numbers second to NYC. So reopening have been slow so far, which I appreciate. So far people are meeting immediate grandparents, close friends up towards of 10 people outdoors only. Everyone is wearing masks, no one is arguing or putting up a fuss except for odd person here and there. Restaurants will be allowed to resume outdoor dining mid June, Hair salons opening end of June. But I’m not comfortable to have my hair done for a while though, as it’s indoors for 2-3 hours.

We met with DH’s elderly parents first time for outdoor eating in our backyard 1st time since March. Slow and cautious, they wanted to hug and kiss but we’re not there yet considering their ages. I’ve no idea how rest of summer looks like for us, as so far beaches and boardwalk is open but no swimming in ocean yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes, we feel like that too. We do live in an area where we know many people who are still strictly social distancing so we are NOT the only ones but many of our close friends and family are getting together again. I feel like a chump saying no but we want to be safe, have risk factors, and also we’re ok at home still. It’s hard. In some ways it was easier when we were still “all in this together”. It’s a rough time right now for so many reasons. We’re just trying to take one moment and one decision at a time and do our best!

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We feel like that, too. none of DDs friends are getting together, so that helps a lot.

It's easier for our little family to write off what the general public is doing. Our bigger issues are family and extended family friends. My dad is talking about coming out for work in the next couple weeks from out of state (probably flying) for work and he hasn't been social distancing. We have extended family with an ideal property to hang out on, but they have all either had the virus or have been hanging out together. We CANNOT afford to get it it, DH is super high risk. They don't understand why we won't come hang out. Dad will probably stay with them and not understand why we aren't there.

We have friends coming in from out of state with 2 other extended family units. We had been planning since last fall to hang out with them one day at our extended family's property, but don't feel comfortable now. These are our closest friends and we are all devastated, but they at least completely get where we are coming from and were the ones that said they would never forgive themselves if they gave it to us. We're trying to figure this one out, but think it will just have to wait at least a year, which is harder now that their kids are college age.

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

This is so hard! We are in the suburbs of Boston. Not a lot of cases in our town, but obviously we're near a major hot spot. And all of the sudden, all my kids' friends are starting to hang out. Mostly outside, but some inside. And we want to be able to visit and stay with my mother-in-law this summer, so we are saying no. It might have an effect on their social circles, and it's getting harder. DS understands, DD is getting antsy. If it was just us, I'd probably let down my guard and take the risk for outside things like spikeball. But so far we've said no. It's definitely getting harder, and when school ends in a couple weeks, even harder. I hear you. The divide is growing!
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My kids have started baseball, and that's it. Otherwise, we have no socialized with others or even been out shopping for, "fun" or anything like that. We are both in healthcare, and we aren't seeing either sets of parents right now either, who are elderly and high risk. It does seem like most people have just moved on and aren't taking precautions.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I hear you. We're in a Boston suburb with significant #s. DD1 came back from a walk yesterday saying 1/2 of her grade was at the playground. I thought she was exaggrerating - nope! I went for a walk myself later and there must have been 30 kids on the corner on bikes. A bunch more playing baseball on each diamond as well as a bunch on the basketball court. Kids are talking about playdates and swim parties they are attending.... and the school administration is spending a boatload of hours working on the re-entry plan. Why bother if they're all going to hang out together when not in school.

Makes is super hard for those who are trying to do the right thing Given that we're still in an area with high #s that are still climbing!
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast