Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elizamom View Post
    9 and 5. Currently we do the same--plastic and our regular dishes. When they serve themselves, they use the plastic. Our regular dishes are too high up for them to reach. Our plastic stuff is old, well-worn, and ready to be retired.

You are right though. We certainly don't NEED different dishes for them.
    I still have to reach some things for ds2. I just get the dishes down before meals.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    We just switched to Corelle and use the luncheon.
    I bought a few pieces of Corelle when DD1 was 3 and I love the size of the lunch plates. I actually find myself reaching for them now more than the Heath stoneware we have (which I do love the colors and design) because the Corelle is so light. I also love the appetizer plates, and the large 20 oz. cereal bowls (for microwaving frozen oatmeal or reheating leftovers) I am actually thinking of getting more because being at home now I find that we do use them a ton more than I thought we did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

I just got the Corelle Meal bowls. My 2 year old and 5 year old use them. We still have their replay plates and bowls, but they prefer our new Corelle meal bowls.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DS (02/15)
    UPPAbaby Mesa 2015
    Now Clek Foonf 2016

I have the bowls we all use on a lower shelf so that everyone can reach them.

Plate wise, I have some nicer plastic ones we use for eating on the deck. Those are down with the bowls. They can reach the everyday stoneware plates because they are on a bottom shelf by 9ish.

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I like Corelle also, we are using a set we got for our wedding-- where have you all found to be the best place to buy it?
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

After many years of using really heavy stoneware dishes, I passed those along and treated myself to a set of Corelle dishes when I moved to a CCRC with a small kitchen. They have been much more satisfactory than I expected. My only regret is that I bought a set with "lunch plates" and "dinner plates" instead of buying by the piece. The dinner plates are huge and I hardly ever use them. Wish I had more of the lunch plates, which are a very useful size.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We use Corelle that we used to get at a Corelle/Corningware Outlet store... 50% off when you buy more than 20 pieces. Lids were an awesome addition! We DO use the lunch plates and the dinner plates - and some meal bowl type things...I think ours are pasta/salad bowls.

You may want to move all your dishes to a lower spot if they're high. Kids can unload the dishwasher and set the table if they can reach them.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I bought duralex glass dishes, bowls, and glasses when my kids were preschool age. They still use those. Never broke one.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Liziz is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We too use Corelle for the kids. I'm very happy with it! It's lightweight so easier for them to handle. I too had originally considered stainless steel, but I have loved that the Corelle is microwave safe and wouldn't trade that. We have the Corelle in a low cupboard so kids can access it themselves. I wonder if with a drawer divider or something you could still make the Corelle work in your drawer? I agree it is very valuable to have the kids able to reach their own dishes. We have separate dishes for the kids because our dishes are much heavier and more fragile, and I worried about the kids accidentally chipping them on the granite countertops. I also wouldn't have wanted *all* our dishes at a low level (not enough space, a pain for me), so just having a small set of Corelle for the kids has worked great for us.
    Lizi

Thanks to everyone for weighing in. I will likely piece together a Corelle set for the kids. I plan to try keeping it in their existing drawer, and if that doesn't work out I'll move things around to give them a lower cabinet. I'm not willing to move all of our every day dishes down to lower cabinets. That would feel too strange to me so I'm looking forward to trying out the Corelle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2