Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    melrose7 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Targeted weight loss

I’m not sure if anyone will have any advice or something I haven’t tried but looking for some help with losing belly fat. I’ve never been an over weight person (right now 152 with highest non pregnancy weight of 172 at 5’7”) but always at the top end of my healthy weight range. But I have had a belly since puberty. I can remember putting weight on there at the start of high school, age 13/14. I was always active, played soccer in high school and college. Still play now, or at least before shutdown. But I play goalie so not much running involved. But all through my teens/20s I had the spare tire around my waist. Skinner legs/arms, small wrist so I know I can be skinny just haven’t figured out the right way to get there.

I’ve been intermittent fasting since last July and lost 20lbs within 5 months, got down to a low weight (147) I hadn’t seen since before I was pregnant but still had a belly and only dropped 1 size. Got frustrated that this wasn’t the answer as I was losing weight but still felt fat as my belly was big. So I gained 10lbs back from February- April. Lost another 5-7 now but nothing from my waist.

Along with IF I am doing low carb recently. I don’t want to do keto as that’s not something I can stick with long term. But I thought giving up processed foods and white foods would help. I always thought that might be the answer but never wanted to do it as I LOVE my bread, pasta, crackers, potatoes, and chips but again nothing from the stomach.
    I only drink plain water, about 10 cups a day and I don’t drink alcohol.

I know I don’t exercise as much as I should but it just isn’t feasible in my life right now with working and kids home. But I always thought diet was more important than exercise. I did run a 10k about 6 yrs ago and lost some weight then but still again not in my belly.

My fasting is usually eating within a 2-5 hr window with some 24 hr fasts each week. I was doing longer 36-42 hr fast over the winter but too hard to do nowadays when stuck at home.

Anyone been there and found the right help in that area. I hate looking like I’m 4 months pregnant when my youngest is 10. I was one of those people that got asked when I was due when I wasn’t pregnant. It sucks!
    Promoting inclusiveness from within the special needs community
    "Just Include Everybody"
    includestephanie.com
    Stephanie's Shirt Shop on Facebook and Instagram

Mom to
    DD1 7-3-05
    DD2 7-5-07
    DS1 3-23-10

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’ve Been doing IF for over a year now, and I can see a difference in my belly fat, but there is some fluctuation if I’m bloated/PMSing. The other day I was looking in the mirror and noticed I have loose skin in that area around my stretch marks, and I’ve lost several inches in my belly, but that didn’t happen right away- it was the last to go. Give it more time.
    I’ve seen random toning elsewhere too, even though I’m not doing toning exercises. I really should start weights to build bone density. I don’t think you can do targeted spot reduction by eating differently, but toning exercises and weights could help. I’ve always carried my weight in my belly and thighs, but now they are getting significantly smaller, which I never thought would happen.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Duplicate
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Unfortunately, I think you just have to lose more weight. I have the same problem with thighs..I can get down to BMI ~21 and still need to wear bike shorts under skirts otherwise I chafe, and at that point my ribs are sticking out.

I think liposuction is the other answer, but I'm not willing to go there.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Probably can’t do targeted weight loss but tightening the muscles in the area will improve the appearance of the pooch. I would do exercises that target muscle toning
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

I lost weight recently with the help of a nutritionist going low carb. I am not much of a hard core exerciser (my speed is walking and PureBarre) but when I added a higher-intensity workout (Cyclebar, Peleton Bike) - at her suggestion - is when my belly went down and I slimmed out overall.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by mommy111 View Post
    Probably can’t do targeted weight loss but tightening the muscles in the area will improve the appearance of the pooch. I would do exercises that target muscle toning
    I agree with this. I would recommend exercise and less restrictive eating.

Also unfortunately, people carry weight in certain areas and it is impossible to get rid of it. I’m pretty thin, but I carry my weight in my butt and hips. Even with a BMI under 20, I still have fat you can grab on my hips and butt...and my arms and legs are very thin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Cutting out all carbs and sugar works for some to get rid of belly fat. Many years ago I did the South Beach diet which was touted to get rid of belly fat and it worked for me. I would try absolutely no carbs or sugar for 2 weeks and see if there is any difference. It’s tough but doable and then you will know if carbs are the issue or if it is something else. I also agree that adding intense workouts could help.

Btw, IF Can definitely help with belly fat once you are totally fat adapted. I have seen this for myself, and there are many examples on DDD, so don’t give up on that. For me, I’m still able to have daily carbs in my window, even desserts, but ymmv.

fauve01 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    Cutting out all carbs and sugar works for some to get rid of belly fat. Many years ago I did the South Beach diet which was touted to get rid of belly fat and it worked for me. I would try absolutely no carbs or sugar for 2 weeks and see if there is any difference. It’s tough but doable and then you will know if carbs are the issue or if it is something else. I also agree that adding intense workouts could help.
    THIS. cutting out carbs and sugar is what will help the most with the belly pudge according to a lot of sources. and if you are going to eat carbs, make sure they are GOOD carbs not crackers or bread. Also, OP, you did not say your age. As you we get older, our calorie needs change to needing fewer to maintain. Also OP, Have you tried calorie tracking? part of losing is the math problem: you want to weigh X, so need to eat Y number of calories per day to get there. Move more (exert more!), eat less.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast