ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default summer vacation safety

DH and I were supposed to go to Jamaica with friends this summer but we have postponed that trip until next June. But I'm getting a bit antsy and want a vacation, as the last family vacation we did was in March 2019 to Disney! I'm contemplating looking for a house or cabin rental through Air Bnb or VRBO and seeing if our friends would like to join us (renting their own space instead of sharing a rental house like we normally do). We could then hang outside or at the beach together (distanced) but still getting to socialize with someone other than our 4 person family! I think I would feel safer renting a stand-alone place or condo rather than an apartment or hotel room. Though I may feel the need to disinfectant wipe everything upon arrival, lol! We would get a place with a kitchen so that we can eat our meals at the house rather than eating out (I'd have to do a grocery run when we get there). We have been to Lewes Beach, DE before and loved the small town feel and the local beach was not very crowded. We also had fun biking around Cape Henlopen State Park. We also love Cape May, NJ and Bethany, DE, but those beaches were more crowded. I also thought of something like a cabin rental in Deep Creek, MD (never been). Anyone from MD, NJ, DE here that wants to weigh in on what is open in those states? I am thinking late by late July or beginning of August virus numbers may be looking better? Part of me says just stay at home this summer until things are more normal and I don't have to worry as much. But part of me also wants a change of scenery and a vacation! What are others planning?

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We rented a house boat. My sister found a vrooms place with a pool near San Diego
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default summer vacation safety

Deep Creek has some great parts. We learned our lesson and wound up in a not so great spot once (it was too far from the action and while lake front, it was on the smallest of the fingers at the end-aka marsh! Being as close to the nature center as you can afford is the best or up around Wisp. Eta- I’m a nature center aficionado and this one is tied with one in Yosemite. They offer awesome activities.
    Sandbridge, VA is my very favorite beach. It’s just residential (no boardwalk type stuff). If you’re up for the drive, it’s worth a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We had our spring break ski trip canceled and at the time had rescheduled the condo for this week. There was a time we thought we'd lose all the money but we have been in Beaver Creek, CO all week. There are about 3 families in the complex and we asked them only to clean once mid week while we were gone. We've gone rafting, horseback riding, fly fishing, on an ATV tour, and we have one more rafting trip before we leave. It's been very different than the vacation we had planned, but it's been fun and it feels as safe as a vacation can be right now. We've been able to eat at a few outdoor restaurants and the weather is amazing. I'd recommend an outdoorsy sort of trip this summer for sure. I'm so girly and kind of indoorsy but this has been great.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Deep Creek has some great parts. We learned our lesson and wound up in a not so great spot once (it was too far from the action and while lake front, it was on the smallest of the fingers at the end-aka marsh! Being as close to the nature center as you can afford is the best or up around Wisp. Eta- I’m a nature center aficionado and this one is tied with one in Yosemite. They offer awesome activities.
    Sandbridge, VA is my very favorite beach. It’s just residential (no boardwalk type stuff). If you’re up for the drive, it’s worth a look.

Any recs for a good place to rent a house/cabin at Deep Creek?

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    Any recs for a good place to rent a house/cabin at Deep Creek?
    We usually use Railey. I’m going to PM you a listing from Taylor Made too.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We are renting a house at the beach next week and probably will again later in the summer. When I was looking at options I decided I wanted driving distance, house (vs condo or duplex) and an area that typically isn’t crowded. All the rental companies talk about extra cleaning protocols. I also made sure they were allowing rentals in the area and that the beaches were open for sitting on (many were just open for walking or swimming but not allowing chairs). I don’t think it is going to much different in terms of risk than what we have at home.

marinkitty is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

No info on the specific locations you mentioned, but I wanted to echo Smilequeen and say, pick a place and go. We drove out to Montana to our rental house last weekend and have been in Big Sky all week. Stand alone house, one grocery run, did take out one night but have been outside all week in the mountains and went hiking with friends (with distancing) today and it was so fun. I think we are going to grill with them next week. Our management company isn't sending in any cleaning crews to occupied homes, but we are just cleaning as we go and we have laundry here. It isn't THAT different than home, except that it IS different, plus we have a hot tub and all the hiking we want. So worth it. The drive out wasn't as stressful as I'd feared - we only did rest areas for bathrooms, had a cooler of food or hit a drive through and stayed one night in a Residence Inn that was very clean and at which we encountered no one but the masked guy at check in who made us our keys. I went into the room before any of us took anything out of the car and wiped things down again just to be safe. We arrived late, slept, got up early and got back on the road.