Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

These threads make one thing clear. It’s easier to get back when you can do it safely. I’ve slowly started grocery shopping and picking up takeout myself, and because businesses put a lot of effort into SD and everyone is wearing masks without complaining, I am feeling more comfortable venturing out, and I was one of the Quarantine queens until recently!

I’m even considering a haircut at some point as my stylist is taking extraordinary efforts to do it safely. We are not there yet (sf Bay Area). If my kids were little, I would consider the zoo because I know they would manage it carefully.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Not sure where you are, but we are near Boston...so maybe same place. We are members and used to go a lot when the kids were younger, hadn't been much through the winter and it all felt so fresh even though we've been there a million times before! It was not crowded, everyone was in masks, and everyone was being super considerate about distancing. So really, it was fine.
    We are in RI, so probably different zoo but similar stage of reopening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    We are in RI, so probably different zoo but similar stage of reopening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yes.. I follow both states and though some things are variously a week ahead or behind it’s pretty similar. Overall, I think RI has been doing a good job. I know that zoo as well and think it ought to be awfully safe.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    How do you handle critics of your slow opening approach if you get pushback?

This is the kind of psychological strain I'm feeling right now. I'd love to hear if anyone is experiencing this too!
    Yes i've received push back, most of it very subtle, some right in my face. I'm so tired of it. I've gotten to the point where I smell these conversations coming and I jump in with my rehearsed phrase of, "Yes, I know that everyone has their opinion about COVID19 right now. Every family is different and has to make the best decisions they can for their families with the info they have." I hope they can read my underlying thoughts of, "Don't mess with me." I can pull off this attitude because I'm really tired of all judgment and pressure from both sides. Just so tired of it.

Our family keeps referring back to https://www.erinbromage.com/post/wha...eal-with-masks. Essence624 mentioned it here a month ago and the explanations on his blog are easy for me to read to my family. His blog posts are really informing my decisions right now about how much to mix with others.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I just want to say my heart goes out to you all. I’m in the interesting position that my risk, and therefore my family’s risk, has gone way down. The Covid surge ICU I was working in shut down this week, I’m going back to working with pre & post op patients. There is still lots of risk, but I’m not taking care of 2 patients everyday going through the highest risk procedures. We know more, which also helps. Yesterday I decided to reward my kids with donuts for the first time in 2 months coming home from the vet. There were signs all around, you could only go in with a mask. Everything was set up well to encourage social distancing in keeping with our states recommendations. As I was leaving there were these 2 middle aged males fumbling with their masks at the door. Clearly there were not used to wearing them and their discomfort with the masks was only trumped by their need for coffee. There were 2 doors with a small vestibule in between. I stepped off to the side because it was too small of an area. One of them held the door for me to go buy. I smiled though my mask and said, “No, you go.” The guy goes “No, you first” in a way that made me think, oh, do not do this! I said again for him to go, thanks. He held the door for 30 seconds and finally his friend said, “I’ll go!” And they proceeded and I went through. On my way out the guy goes “Scared” while chuckling. I turned around and “I’m a nurse in a Covid ICU, I’m trying to keep YOU safe. I do not need your ducking attitude.” Then I left because there was no point in subjecting the employee’s to more. (BTW, I never say ducking.)

I’m not looking for confrontation. But the idea that this idiot who probably couldn’t do my job without peeing himself was going to give me grief was just beyond. If someone had been less cowardly+confrontational about it I would have probably tried to engage them or ignore them. But I am really trying to take these situations one at a time until I can figure out an overall engagement plan that works for me. But I think it’s easier as a nurse to stand my ground, since only the truly crazy people are going to to try to argue with me.

JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    I I stepped off to the side because it was too small of an area. One of them held the door for me to go buy. I smiled though my mask and said, “No, you go.” The guy goes “No, you first” in a way that made me think, oh, do not do this! I said again for him to go, thanks. He held the door for 30 seconds and finally his friend said, “I’ll go!” And they proceeded and I went through. On my way out the guy goes “Scared” while chuckling. I turned around and “I’m a nurse in a Covid ICU, I’m trying to keep YOU safe. I do not need your ducking attitude.” Then I left because there was no point in subjecting the employee’s to more. (BTW, I never say ducking.)

I’m not looking for confrontation. But the idea that this idiot who probably couldn’t do my job without peeing himself was going to give me grief was just beyond. If someone had been less cowardly+confrontational about it I would have probably tried to engage them or ignore them. But I am really trying to take these situations one at a time until I can figure out an overall engagement plan that works for me. But I think it’s easier as a nurse to stand my ground, since only the truly crazy people are going to to try to argue with me.
    Good for you for standing up for yourself, dogmom! I am so glad to hear things are getting easier for you and your family.

I do get pushback, usually done in a very "nice" way (asking me questions that should have obvious answers stipulating that I am being too cautious). I have to say it doesn't bother me much. People do what they are comfortable with and if people think I am over the top, so be it.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DH is more paranoid than I am, which is his germ-phobia, anxiety, and extreme worry for his parents (they are currently in AZ; they will fly home later this month) keeping him from examining the data for our area objectively.

I am still cautious, although I am hopeful about the decisions for day-camp (in-person day-camps are permitted, provided they begin on/after July 6th) because DD desperately needs social interaction (she has started to regress in some ways and that is bad; we have been working for 5 years to improve her social skills.) We don't yet know about rules or regulations, but I figure I will need to plan on having, at minimum, 2 masks for her per camp day (one for before swim and another for after) in addition to any other precautions we are told to take.

I am not yet ready to do my own grocery runs (it's still not safe for DD to come with me due to limited capacity requirements) so DH is planning those.
    I am not yet ready to go places like the beach or boardwalks, but would feel OK going to a park or for a hike once the humidity calms down a bit.
    I am not yet ready to get together, even outdoors, with our family members, although the governor has allowed groups of 25 or fewer people to gather outdoors.

But I suspect I will be ready sooner rather than later, if only to get DD out and about. I will continue to take every precaution for her health, because she and I are both at risk for further complications due to pre-existing health issues.

I am a descendant of Spanish Flu and polio survivors; I do not take this lightly and am in no rush to go directly to "go."
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We are operating from the standpoint that those of us without underlying risks and the means should do what they can to support the economy. We are also thinking that we need to take advantage of what we can do now since we may have to quarantine again. Our area is mostly open. We are out and seeing friends. The kids are doing outside sports and activities. We are going to our club pool. I got a haircut and will get nails done later this week before our beach vacation. We have not been dining in or shopping because we can still support those businesses by doing curbside. We are not in a hot spot but our numbers are still rising (mostly because testing is rising) but the statistic here is 96% of deaths have underlying health conditions. We are still being very careful, washing hands and wearing masks and mostly avoiding anything inside.

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    We are operating from the standpoint that those of us without underlying risks and the means should do what they can to support the economy. We are also thinking that we need to take advantage of what we can do now since we may have to quarantine again. Our area is mostly open. We are out and seeing friends. The kids are doing outside sports and activities. We are going to our club pool. I got a haircut and will get nails done later this week before our beach vacation. We have not been dining in or shopping because we can still support those businesses by doing curbside. We are not in a hot spot but our numbers are still rising (mostly because testing is rising) but the statistic here is 96% of deaths have underlying health conditions. We are still being very careful, washing hands and wearing masks and mostly avoiding anything inside.
    This is us exactly!
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    This is our philosophy as well. I have been working outside the home everyday and DH had been working in his office about 1/4 time, however, he is now back at the office full time. We have no family near us and zero risk factors. Soccer is still limited to no scrimmages, but I imagine that will be changing soon. We swim at our club, but do not really make random shopping trips. The 15 year old was able to get into a DMV appointment Friday to get his learners permit and my teens participated in the BLM rally yesterday with friends, but of course that was outside. Our lives are moving on.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast