Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Maybe It's Me?

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    our profits are calculated using the "per girl average," so we start out earning $0.70/box until the PGA is over 100.
    Wow, amazing how different councils handle cookie sales differently. Our troop proceeds are a straight up per box. We were $4/box and troop got 65 cents. Then jumped to $5/box and troop keeps $1 the past two years.

I think the council offered an incentive this year of a flat additional dollar amount for troops selling over a certain number. I think it was at least 3,000 boxes for a troop to get the additional kickback. Since our biggest year was 1,600 boxes I didn't pay attention.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by belovedgandp View Post
    Wow, amazing how different councils handle cookie sales differently. Our troop proceeds are a straight up per box. We were $4/box and troop got 65 cents. Then jumped to $5/box and troop keeps $1 the past two years.
    Yes, I had this conversation on multiple occasions at a FB parents' group when people were saying "oh, I donate $0.50 because your troop is only making that per box" ... and I had to explain how it's different depending on the council.

Our troops can make up to $1.25 per box IF they're C/S/A level who can opt out of prizes like t-shirts/hoodies, etc., AND they sell at a 1000 box PGA.

My troops will never earn that high, but we've averaged about $0.90/box the past 3 sales in one troop number and hovered around $0.80 in the other.

I think the council offered an incentive this year of a flat additional dollar amount for troops selling over a certain number. I think it was at least 3,000 boxes for a troop to get the additional kickback. Since our biggest year was 1,600 boxes I didn't pay attention.
    As I said above, in my council, troops at the C/S/A levels can earn an additional $0.05 per box if they opt out of the tchotchke rewards. They'll still earn patches/achievement bars and 1000-box+ individual rewards, but the stuff like t-shirts and water bottles is passed up in favor of the additional income.

I try to get the girls to shoot for a 100-150 box per-girl-average when they set our troop goals. I had one troop number sell 1445 boxes (up from 1292, even with a price increase from $4 to $5) and the other sold 679. Both had about the same number of active sellers, but the girls in one troop really hustled!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    ... maybe she does what suits her regardless of directions...
    I just caught this bit while re-reading your reply, Nicci, and this is her to a "t."

I send the information. I explain the information. I'm available by email and/or text if she has questions. She still does whatever is most convenient for her, regardless of what I've told her.

I'm happy I didn't completely lose it on her during the cookie season because she was ... really flakey.

The first booth she signed up for, she didn't bother to check the location, went to the location for a booth that had been canceled the day before (weather issue), and then went to the grocery store to help with a booth that was ... at the movie theatre at the other end of the strip mall.

She then proceeded to ask if she could feed the kids snacks and/or juice at the booth. (No. There's no eating or drinking at cookie booths.)
    Then she complained that we sold fewer than 30 boxes of cookies in the time slot. (Fine, but I don't know which parents I can trust to show up on time yet because I'm managing two troop numbers and a lot of new faces.)

The next booth she & her kids did, she managed to be on time (I was running late because DD was being a pill) ... OK, so maybe the first booth being late was a blip.

Nope.

Next booth her kids are signed up for, they're half-an-hour late. HALF AN HOUR. That's long enough that I had to ask another troop parent (registered!) to stay until this woman shows up with her kids.

While working this booth, she says that she'll have to be an hour late to the mall booth (2-hour time slot) due to a previous engagement.
    I can't run a booth without 2 registered adults.
    I said she can't be the 2nd adult at the mall and her kid can't do the booth unless someone can drop her off on time, could she let me know by Tuesday if child can do the booth.
    Tuesday comes & goes; no note. OK, I get it, things get busy, so I emailed her.
    No, she says, child can't do the booth; give our spot to someone else.

Fine. I had one family switch locations & fill the 2nd adult spot and 3rd Scout spot, leaving 4th Scout spot open.

Saturday morning, booth is in ~7 hours, I'm out grocery shopping, I get a text. Oh, can child have the spot back, it's open and my DH will drop her off.

I text back, no, you canceled from the booth it's not fair to give the spot you couldn't take back.
    Fume about it; DD overhears, asks me to give her a chance.
    I calm down and, for DD's sake, text back saying "DD says it's fair for child to come; she needs to be ON TIME. ON TIME is 5:50pm; booth starts at 6pm."
    Get a text back "thank you, they'll be there."

I get to the mall at 5:50pm
    The other 3 families are there, ready to help, unloading cases of cookies, etc.
    We get everything set up and organized, say goodbye to the extra parents, and the girls start selling.

6:20pm, she waltzes in from the opposite end of the mall with the entire family.

I should have told them to go the f^ck home.

A week out from the grocery store booth she actually signed up for, I sent her a very firm email. (I ran it by my BFF first to check that it wasn't mean.)

I'm SO done with her this year.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

I have a new one, but I'm thinking maybe I wrote it in an unclear way so here goes.

On 10/20, I posted the following message to our troop TeamApp about the traditional service projects our SU does during the leadup to the winter holidays:

The Giving Tree service project asks Girl Scouts to make hand-crafted Christmas tree ornaments, which are then donated to area “giving tree” projects, such as the ones at the (local town library) and (local shopping mall).

People in the community choose an ornament, which is tagged with brief information about an area child in need, so they receive something fun or practical for the holidays … and donors have a lovely keepsake to hang on their own tree.

If your Girl Scout is interested in crafting an ornament, please email me at (troop email address) for details.
    Finished ornaments are due to (lizzywednesday) no later than November 9th.

Nobody followed up about them in October, so I didn't plan on creating ornament-crafting kits for the kids to complete.

On November 9th at 3:30pm, the troop parent about whom I have been complaining for not reading anything emails me "oh, (daughter's name) would like to join the ornament craft."

I had to reply that it was awfully late for this project and if the kid wanted to participate, she could make her own hand-crafted ornament & drop it in my porch bin because I have to turn in any completed ornaments to the volunteer the next day.

While I admit that I should probably have said "email me by X date if your Girl Scout is interested," I'm not quite sure how "finished ornaments are due to me on November 9th" means "email me on November 9th asking if your kid can do a craft."
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

You did nothing wrong and that parent should have read a little harder.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would have understood your email just fine. I would have reached out when I received the email if I was thinking you might do a group craft.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    You did nothing wrong and that parent should have read a little harder.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    I would have understood your email just fine. I would have reached out when I received the email if I was thinking you might do a group craft.
    Thanks.

Since this was an "extra" project and not a badge-earning activity, I had not made arrangements, and wasn't going to unless I'd heard that a majority of the girls wanted to participate.

That would have meant they'd email me with enough time for me to find something on Pinterest, purchase supplies, and make up the kits for pickup the week before I wanted the finished projects.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    She still does whatever is most convenient for her, regardless of what I've told her.

We have one of those in our troop! We have explained over and over that we WILL NOT accept cash for certain things for accounting and safety reasons. She will show up with, I kid you not, several thousand dollars in cash and expect us to take it. (I am fairly certain this is unreported income from their business).
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post
    We have one of those in our troop!
    One of my fellow leaders has more than one of them in her troop.

We have explained over and over that we WILL NOT accept cash for certain things for accounting and safety reasons. She will show up with, I kid you not, several thousand dollars in cash and expect us to take it. (I am fairly certain this is unreported income from their business).
    I had to stop taking cash, period. There's no record that a family paid, I have to remember who belongs to which payments, and I very often accept it & stick it in a random pocket.

At least this year, due to COVID, insisting on PayPal for dues & trips (well, when trips are permitted, that is) and SmartCookies (our cookie management system) for cookies makes it much less stressful - no trips to the bank, no need to keep receipts, and I can track everything in the appropriate place.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

OHMYGOSH!

I got texts this morning from the kid and the mom saying that the kid didn't understand what they were supposed to do for one of the activities our troop did to earn the Inside Government badge. (Kids were supposed to record a FlipGrid commercial as if they were running for POTUS; it was due by 11/16, but I had one kid squeak in on 11/20 ahead of our troop meeting's start time of 7pm.)

I'm sorry, what?

Beyond tap-dancing and paying a skywriter, I'm not sure what I could do beyond:

* I told the kids what to do at the end of our 10/16 meeting
    * I posted the information to the TeamApp in my meeting recap
    * I reminded people that the project was due with my meeting recap on 11/7

I'm sorry the kid didn't understand what to do, but when that happens, I want to know right away, not a month later, AFTER we've already done the activity.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast