WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default $100 credit at Fitbit store - What do we get?

Family of 5... DH's employer is giving them some fitbit credit. He doesn't really want one...but DC and I would like to have something motivating us this summer, so we're wondering if this would be a good way to make sure we keep moving. Looks like there is a sale until 6/20. We have one apple watch (that feels too big to me) so someone could wear that one.

Is it a good idea to outfit the family with them to stay active when we might otherwise not? Our swim team season is cancelled, and it looks like swim activities will be available, but low key. We can ride bikes, but only so much...we've already kinda burned out walking just our neighborhood.

Friends' kids all have the kids version, but they're not really leaving the house, so I'm not sure if they're using them as motivation. Would the kids' bands suffice for an adult with a small wrist or do me and the 14, 12, and 11 year olds need adult versions or even a different brand?

Sorry I haven't paid any attention to the activity tracker threads in the past, lol.

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Last summer I bought a Fitbit Alta HR for myself and an Inspire (non HR) for my almost 13 yr. old on Amazon Prime Day. DD1 wanted a tracker/watch to help track times and distances for running cross country. It works for that. I wanted something to help motivate me to be a bit healthier. I do like the Alta, but they no longer make it (I think it looks a bit classier than the Inspire). At Christmas time, 11 yr. old DD2 wanted a tracker as well, so that she could compete with her sister and I. I bought her the regular Inspire. Of all of us, she has impressed me that she aims to reach her recommended 250 steps per hour (the watch buzzes at 10 of to let you know if you need to walk more).
    And she is not a very active kid. She also used it during school to set silent alarms to remind herself when to go to instrument lessons and when to leave for the bus on days that I worked. Using those alarms was worth the $50 I spent! If your kids swim, the Inspire is supposed to be waterproof and tracks swimming. Don't get the kid bands, they don't have as many options for things they track and they only connect to people on your family account (so they can't compete with friends). When making the accounts for kids under 13, you do have to change the birth date (it won't let you register the adult bands for younger kids for privacy reasons). It wasn't a big deal to me to just advance the birth years a bit so that they could use the adult bands. Originally DD2 did not have hers linked to a cell phone, so she just watched her daily stats on the watch. But now she has it linked to an older iphone that we passed down to her. From the app she can send messages and smiley faces to people she is connected with and do competitions with us.

Since being on quarantine, we have done different fitness competitions between the 3 of us. There are ones where you can walk virtual trails (alone or compete against others), Weekend Warrior and Workweek Hustle are for most steps, and Fitibit Bingo uses steps, active minutes, and miles. We mix it up and do a different contest each week to get some movement in, so that's been fun and the kids enjoy it.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Great info ang79! Thank you for sharing those tips! I'd love to hear more from others too!