jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Would you please stay home...

I’m having such a hard time. We don’t live near my family and generally it’s no big deal. We are able to travel over the summer and spend a good chunk of time with our extended family. We also have the means to fly our parents up to visit us a couple times each year. We aren’t going to see them this summer. We’re not going to fly this summer. I had contemplated driving but it would likely take 3 days and those would be almost 10 hour days to get there. My DC are heartbroken as they are very attached to my mom despite the distance. Not a day goes by that they don’t bring her up and reminisce about some aspect of life with her. She’s gone back to work. I get it. She’s bored at home and needs to work. Today they had a communal lunch and she ate even though she had her lunch. She then went out to dinner because restaurants are open and she wanted to get out. She lives alone. If she gets sick, there isn’t anyone to care for her. I will be heartbroken if we lose her. My children will be devastated. When I tell her this virus is bad and not something she wants to catch she says everyone else is out. Numbers are rising in her area but she’s not watching so she doesn’t know. I just don’t get it. I really wish I could just tell her to stay home. I can’t and I know it....but I really wish I could.
    Last edited by jgenie; 06-12-2020 at 04:54 PM.

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’m sorry. I can relate to this, worrying about my mom who lives around people who are back to normal,even though a neighbor died of Covid.
    you’re right. We can’t control them but keep explaining the consequences and hope they get it. HUGS.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’m sorry. That’s so hard. Could you fly her to visit you? If she would limit her contact with others by wearing a mask at work and not eating out Etc for a couple of weeks?
    K

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I am going through this with DH right now - his parents fly home in just under 2 weeks.

DH is freaking out because numbers are rising where they are ... and they're *not* freaking out themselves. They keep reassuring him that they're fine, etc., etc., etc. but ... *sigh*
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    I’m sorry. That’s so hard. Could you fly her to visit you? If she would limit her contact with others by wearing a mask at work and not eating out Etc for a couple of weeks?
    This is a good idea!

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I get it. My mom has kidney disease severe enough to have dialysis 3x a week. She has lung & heart damage. Where was she the last time I spoke to her? JoAnn fabric. IN.THE.STORE. because she NEEDS to see and feel the fabric. Where is she this weekend? At her sister's because she hasnt seen her in a month. ..... the sister who refuses to stay home.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!