Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Contagious?

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’m sorry you’re dealing with this. I hope your friends and family open up and spend time with your family soon.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm really sorry. You are right, it just hurts.

We would totally hang out with you guys (at a distance, outside, like we have with others) and have several friends who are exposed at work daily.

Sending hugs. Wish you were closer.
    K

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You can come hang out with me.

Both my husband and I are “essential” but in theory, I have a higher risk of exposure than he does. We have not really started socializing yet. Mostly we hang out with my co-workers, so we would all the the same exposure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We haven't been anywhere. Not grocery stores, not drug stores, not social distance visiting. DH is high risk. He's only had one immune infusion since February that he normally gets monthly because they hadn't been able to figure out how to safely get him into the only infusion center in our state that carries it until this month.

We are hypersensitive to how insane some folks (especially in our friend/family group) have been behaving. "We're going to an auction today! We are going to the outlet mall! Let's go eat out! Nah, we're not wearing masks, only half the people we see are, anyway... we don't understand why you won't come over." Honestly, I try to limit all contact with them even phone/text/facebook for my own sanity. The social media stuff with these people is as contagious as COVID and is terrible for my state of mind. It just reassures us we can't hang out with them.

All that being said, DD and I are driving 8 hours away to social distance visit with our oldest and dearest friends. They both work in the ICU with COVID patients. We're renting a house in their town that is way way way too big/nice for just her and I. It has a pool/hot tub area outside with tons of seating and space that we can safely visit with them and they still stay at their house overnight. There is a guest house they can use the bathroom/kitchen area in (this was not planned, we just planned on designating one bathroom off the pool for them, but this place is nicer than we intended). DH is not going with us. 8 hours is outside of my comfort zone for driving with having to get gas, bathroom stops, require an oil change after, etc. But we're going to make it work because they are feeling like you are and we trust them completely. I'm taking the camping bathroom bucket so the only actual stop is to get gas. We're packing all our groceries and plan to deep clean the house when we get there. It's a crazy amount of $ to spend on a vacation without DH while I'm working remotely from there, but completely worth it since every other trip we had planned this year was cancelled. DD will have a blast at this house if/when we all work.

I"m not telling anyone we're going except you guys, DH, and the friends we're seeing. That is an invitation to conversations I do not have the mental and emotional fortitude to sustain.

We'd hang out with you. Just know we're a little insane

Do any of your work friends have kids? DH is a surgeon at an academic medical center -- he doesn't work directly with covid patients, but in theory, his exposure is higher than your average person since he's in the hospital seven days a week. Many of our kids' friends are also in health care, so have no issue with socializing with our kids. Honestly, no one has even brought it up-- maybe because our state is not as hard hit.

I'm sorry your family is being difficult, especially because you go out of your way to help out your brother. It must be hard, but it isn't about you, it's about them being scared and not really understanding that seeing you is not anywhere near as high risk as they believe it to be.

Yes, it sucks. The idea that everybody needs healthcare workers but we are also "lepers" that nobody wants to get near. It's crazy that people would be ok socializing with someone who works in the grocery store but won't go near someone who works in the ICU/ED--guess who is covered in PPE etc and who isn't??? And then there are all the people who want to listen to politicians instead of health care workers or the fact that our governments failed some of us on PPE. You are just screwed any way you look at it. It really sucks. And after this is all over, it will go back to how doctors are overpaid etc. You can't pay me enough for this crap--we do it because we believe in it. For some people, it is truly a calling. sigh.....
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I’m sorry, that would hurt. I would have a hard time not taking that personally too.

However, you are welcome over here in Wisconsin! We have the lowest rate of mask-wearing in the country (Not sure about that but it feels like it). No one here would think twice about hanging out with you. We have actual COVID19 deniers. There is no fear. It’s like nothing has happened.

On second thought, you probably don’t want to come here any time soon.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

mom_hanna is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

That sucks. I would totally get together with you. And let my kids as well. My brother is an ER doc and my sister a doc who's been seeing patients this whole time (non-covid) and they've been working this whole time. We socially distance with them and it's been fine. And great for the kids (my sister has kids as well).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2