Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Contagious?

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Contagious?

I feel like a lot of people here won't have sympathy here for me. I really don't need to hear that you would have done the same, so posting in BP.

Things are slowly opening up. Our cases are going down and down. I can't even tell you the difference between April and now. A fair number of people are starting to see family members or friends with precautions...such as outside, with masks, distant, etc.

The only place my kids have been since March is the zoo x1 (with masks, distant, outside), and the local HS tennis courts (no masks, but no one else using them at the same time). But DH and I have been working. DH routinely works with COVID+ patients. It's his job. He uses all appropriate PPE. He is extremely cautious. I see patients who have either no symptoms (screened for symptoms before entering my office) or test negative (surgery patients). We haven't been anyplace else since March. No grocery store, no Costco, nothing.

There is no one in my life who is willing to meet up with me even for an outdoor distant dinner, due to our exposures. I get that people are scared, I do. I was scared too. I am scared.

But being rejected, being unvalued, being told me and my children pose a risk. It hurts. It hurts badly. And it cuts to the heart of my insecurity.

Tell me I'm stupid. Tell me I'm ugly. Tell me I suck at my job. I don't care- I'll tell you to eff off and that will roll of my back. But tell me you don't want to come to my party and I'll secretly go and cry on my faux Peloton.

Everyone has lost a lot. Maybe I shouldn't be concerned with feeling unloved. But I don't know, there is some sort of primal reaction associated with being told that my children are too much of a risk to your children, and it doesn't feel good. At all.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

PZMommy is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would try to not take it personally. Maybe they aren’t seeing anybody at this point?

We are not seeing anyone at this point. I’ve turned down so many play dates for my kids. Our cases are continuing to rise, but many people are out and about like nothing ever happened. My son is high risk, so we aren’t taking any chances. We are going to my 5th grader’s drive through culmination this week and that will be the first time my 8 yr old has left the house since March 12th. I’ve made a handful of grocery store runs, but we are still staying in.

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    I would try to not take it personally. Maybe they aren’t seeing anybody at this point?

We are not seeing anyone at this point. I’ve turned down so many play dates for my kids. Our cases are continuing to rise, but many people are out and about like nothing ever happened. My son is high risk, so we aren’t taking any chances. We are going to my 5th grader’s drive through culmination this week and that will be the first time my 8 yr old has left the house since March 12th. I’ve made a handful of grocery store runs, but we are still staying in.
    They are seeing others. That’s what hurts the most.

It’s easy for you to say don’t take it personally. I’m telling you, that is really really really hard.

I am literally in charge of writing COVID guidelines for my department, yet my own family won’t see me, and I’m supposed to not take it personally? Eff that.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

People don't get it! Those who are going to stores and with others are more at risk than if they spend time with you.

I work in a nursing home, we have no cases, it's literally safer than most everywhere else due to the fact that the residents haven't been anywhere, they are isolated from the world and we have so many precautions on place (probably similar situation for you).

Luckily the few people I interact with understand that and respect that i am not a danger to them.

I'm sorry your friends don't get it!!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Might be time to really work on making friends with people from work with kids and socialize with them because they’ll be in the same boat. Sorry it’s been so hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

So people are getting together with other people, but not your family, because they consider you guys riskier b/c of your jobs? That does totally suck!

I mean, it does in fact seem to be "personal" in that it's directed to your family. But just remember likely that it's not because of any personal trait on your part or animosity on their part. It sounds like it's because people are scared about exposure. There's so much confusion and misinformation out there about COVID, I'm sure that just knowing your DH works with COVID patients daily is really scary to some people. It's hard and confusing right now to figure out how to start to live normal lives again, while also keeping your family safe.

But, none of that changes the fact that it totally sucks and must hurt badly, not to mention be totally frustrating as I'm sure you're desperate to get your DS some more interaction.
    Lizi

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Yes it sucks and it is why I have not shared with most people that I got moved into a front line covid role. I wear full ppe, so I actually feel safer than other non-covid areas of our hospital, who are simply wearing a surgical mask, due to the ppe. So far the only ones who have gotten together with us are friends of ours who are also in healthcare. I am not taking anything personally at this point, because I am actually sick and tired of people and don't mind some time away. We have started the baseball season full force about 3 weeks ago, it is outside, so I'm not that worried, but I know that people get freaked out, so I haven't shared it with anyone else but another hospital worker whose kid is also on the team...
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I'm sorry .

While I have done grocery stores, we haven't done very much else and don't see people socially. I would rather visit you with all the protection you're doing than what I see most people around here doing. I'm sorry your friends don't see that.
    Kris

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That sucks. We live next door to an ER doctor. We physically distance with them all the time. I would not be ok going in their house or vice versa but I wouldn’t with anyone. But they have expressed similar experiences to yours and I know it has been hard on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    I'm sorry .

While I have done grocery stores, we haven't done very much else and don't see people socially. I would rather visit you with all the protection you're doing than what I see most people around here doing. I'm sorry your friends don't see that.
    I was coming to say the same thing. A family that has been so careful both at work and socially is definitely my preferred family to associate with. I think people really don't know. Things are opening here and there is SO much social mixing. While most people aren't going as full bore as they normally would be (sharing food utensils, indoors, hugging, etc.) they are spending time with so many people, not observing social distancing, not masked, etc. and the web of interactions is enormous.

I am so sorry that you're feeling sad and alone. I wish you were nearer. I'm looking for a family just like yours to be our friends.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast