Page 78 of 78 FirstFirst ... 28 68 76 77 78
    Mamma2004 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AbbysMom View Post
    Question for you - would you then plan to send him back for his Senior year at his old school? Thinking through this idea with my middle schoolers and wondering how it would work in terms of transitioning back.
    Ideally, whichever path we choose for junior year would be so fulfilling that he would *not* change for senior year. I am very concerned about how school-hopping would look to a college admissions committee, even considering the global pandemic. Our family is very stressed about this choice, so I am telling myself - and our son - that we have two GOOD options, and that whichever one we select will go well. Fingers crossed!

If I had a child in middle school or even starting high school, I would not hesitate to go virtual. It's only because of junior year that we find things so complicated.
    Stephanie

Mamma to James

ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Mamma2004 View Post
    Ideally, whichever path we choose for junior year would be so fulfilling that he would *not* change for senior year. I am very concerned about how school-hopping would look to a college admissions committee, even considering the global pandemic. Our family is very stressed about this choice, so I am telling myself - and our son - that we have two GOOD options, and that whichever one we select will go well. Fingers crossed!

If I had a child in middle school or even starting high school, I would not hesitate to go virtual. It's only because of junior year that we find things so complicated.
    I started looking at other cyber school options but was concerned that my kids would find gaps in curriculum going in (being behind or ahead of the new curriculum) and that when they return to our public school (because that is the plan once things are more normal) there may be gaps as well that they have to play catch up with. I was especially concerned about this with my current 8th grader - I don't want her to be behind in math going into high school next year.

In talking with another friend (who researches everything and worries just like me), who said she had a conversation with a good friend who works in curriculum for a public high school in our state. He recommended to her that if she chooses a cyber school this year to do the district program. He felt that other cyber options aren't great with career/college prep (not sure if he meant it looks bad on transcripts or isn't rigorous enough, or what). If I had plans to home school or cyber school my kids long term (past this year), then I might research more and try a more established cyber program. But since its most likely just for this year, I am feeling that it is best to stick with the district curriculum so that the curriculum pacing isn't off when they return to in person schooling, hopefully next year! If only we could see what the future holds....... So hard to make big choices when things keep changing almost daily.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Mamma2004 View Post

School hopping isn’t like job hopping. And even now, job hopping is pretty much expected. I’d think the loss of extracurricular would look worse than changing schools would. Or will you find a way to participate still?
    My kid did get into a very selective school (not Ivy though) but he didn’t make choices to up his odds. Just did what he wanted and figured it’d work out. The college admission process is so much about building the desired ratio of race, ethnic, geographical, financial and academic mix- and that’s constantly changing based on who is applying. Basically, don’t feel locked into a schooling plan if your main motivation is college applications .

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 78 of 78 FirstFirst ... 28 68 76 77 78