Page 68 of 78 FirstFirst ... 18 58 66 67 68 69 70 ... LastLast
    icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    Scrubs sound like the coolest (as in temperature) and most affordable option that we have that will wash well and cover our skin. With windows open, our classrooms are regularly 80-90 degrees from August opening through October. The kids are going to see us in masks, face shields, and for me, gloves (I'm prone to eczema if my skin dries out from sanitizer and washing.) The kids will not be allowed to get close to me, or to each other. We are all going to have a lot to get used to. (ETA- no actual guidelines for this have been released yet. This is just a guess.) Niccig, I like your idea of pairing scrub bottoms with a performance t-shirt.

DogMom, not all SoCal districts have stated clearly yet that masks will be mandatory for students. There are very vocal parents who do not want their kids to wear masks.
    I find scrub tops to be very warm, especially with a mask. But my department is always hot. Great that my hospital built a fancy building facing East and having all windows. And they locked the AC at 70 degrees (which we also think is a lie lol). I’ve started wearing a cotton tshirt with scrub pants. Technically I don’t think it’s allowed, but Covid has many people breaking clothing rules (dept specific tshirts, solid shirts, etc). I just want easy wash clothing, though I don’t personally feel that Covid is going to be carried around on my clothing (unless actual secretions were to be in contact with them).

I’m hoping that teachers can keep their distance, especially as the grades get higher. Distance, masks, and movement will be big factors in keeping teachers safe. Studies are showing that you need to have a certain amount of time in contact or closeness with the virus to contract it. If people follow the rules, things should be okay. But they won’t, and that’s the problem.

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Our district released tentative plans. 100% distance learning is one option.
    For HS, split the kids into two or three cohorts. They attend in person once or twice a week like a structured day. Rest is from home, but More structured than the spring, for sure. Ie one on one intervention during at home days. I totally agree that the kids who need the help should be prioritized so they don’t fall even further behind.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/ne...ols-next-month
    Florida schools will reopen 5 days a week
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/ne...ols-next-month
    Florida schools will reopen 5 days a week
    I wouldn't hold anyone to their plans now. Things are changing too quickly. It's like in March when schools started by being closed 2 weeks then there was a slow roll out of updated closures. Eventually (many weeks later), everywhere shut down for the rest of the year for in person stuff. So far in my state a lot of the things that had been planned are being cancelled or revised at this moment. I just think we all have to be flexible and not expect that a plan released in June or July will stick.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I wouldn't hold anyone to their plans now. Things are changing too quickly. It's like in March when schools started by being closed 2 weeks then there was a slow roll out of updated closures. Eventually (many weeks later), everywhere shut down for the rest of the year for in person stuff. So far in my state a lot of the things that had been planned are being cancelled or revised at this moment. I just think we all have to be flexible and not expect that a plan released in June or July will stick.
    Exactly.
    A week ago it sounded like our schools were going to be in person with minimal changes. (Although all the districts in the area agreed to wait to release "the plan" until July 20..) Now I doubt they will even be able to start in person at all (we start late Aug.24). Our cases (and hospitalizations) are on the uphill slide and I expect our hospitals will be pretty full by Aug.24th. I can't imagine them trying to start school as usual with bad numbers before they even try to start...
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Quote Originally Posted by AngB View Post
    Exactly.
    A week ago it sounded like our schools were going to be in person with minimal changes. (Although all the districts in the area agreed to wait to release "the plan" until July 20..) Now I doubt they will even be able to start in person at all (we start late Aug.24). Our cases (and hospitalizations) are on the uphill slide and I expect our hospitals will be pretty full by Aug.24th. I can't imagine them trying to start school as usual with bad numbers before they even try to start...
    Yes, I think you may be correct unfortunately. Our district is planning for hybrid (DS1) and our private school hasn't announced officially but has been leaning fully open with social distancing (DS2 and DD). Our numbers have been on a scary upward trajectory since Memorial Day and after July 4th, it will only get worse. Now I'm starting to plan for 3 kids home this fall and debating how to make it the best situation possible. I'm pretty sure I'll be going back to work sooner rather than later. In a COVID unit. I'm trying to enjoy my summer at home because this fall is going to get real.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by icunurse View Post
    ... And they locked the AC at 70 degrees (which we also think is a lie lol)...
    No, they've definitely locked your A/C at 70, but those windows make a huge difference! Our A/C is a steady 74; if I keep the front (house faces a northeasterly direction) drapes (blackout) drawn, the ground floor stays cooler than when they're open. We have a bank of not-quite-floor-to-ceiling windows in the living room.

Before I changed the drapes to the blackout ones, it would get uncomfortably hot, even with the lighter-weight ones drawn.

Sounds like your dep't needs some kind of blackout shades.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    . SARASOTA, Fla. (WWSB) -Despite the recent surge of COVID-19 infections throughout the state of Florida, a mandate has been issued from Tallahassee requiring all public schools and charter schools to reopen in August.
    Florida Education Commissioner, Richard Corcoran, issued the emergency order Monday night. The order requires school districts and charter school governing boards to open brick and mortar schools at least five days per week for all students in the fall. The only way a school will not open back up for in-person learning is if state or local health officials advise a school board not to do so.
    The mandate states the reason for the reopening is to help the well-being of students and families, which rely on schools for things such as nutrition, socialization, counseling, and extra-curricular activities. It also states this will help parents and guardians get back to work.
    The order states schools can offer remote learning as an option for students but it will be more robust this year. Students who do remote learning will have their progress monitored and if they fail to make progress they will be provided a transition into another teaching method. The Department of Education will also not be waiving the minimum number of instructional hours for students and schools must provide all services they normally do this year.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

. SARASOTA, Fla. (WWSB) -Despite the recent surge of COVID-19 infections throughout the state of Florida, a mandate has been issued from Tallahassee requiring all public schools and charter schools to reopen in August.
    Florida Education Commissioner, Richard Corcoran, issued the emergency order Monday night. The order requires school districts and charter school governing boards to open brick and mortar schools at least five days per week for all students in the fall. The only way a school will not open back up for in-person learning is if state or local health officials advise a school board not to do so.
    The mandate states the reason for the reopening is to help the well-being of students and families, which rely on schools for things such as nutrition, socialization, counseling, and extra-curricular activities. It also states this will help parents and guardians get back to work.
    The order states schools can offer remote learning as an option for students but it will be more robust this year. Students who do remote learning will have their progress monitored and if they fail to make progress they will be provided a transition into another teaching method. The Department of Education will also not be waiving the minimum number of instructional hours for students and schools must provide all services they normally do this year.
    I wish the emphasis was on LEARNING! You know that thing that is the actual point of schools? I dont think there is going to be all that much socialization or extra-curricular activities this year
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

All good points but c’mon. Florida has been playing catch up this whole time. No masks, everything open and now it’s all rolling back. I just wouldn’t hold my breath that in a few weeks that they have to reassess.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 68 of 78 FirstFirst ... 18 58 66 67 68 69 70 ... LastLast