Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    The AIDS crisis has really been on my mind, lately. It's been more than THIRTY YEARS since AIDS was identified, there's been hundreds of millions of dollars raised for research - and we don't have a vaccine for that!
    And we had a similarly dismal top-down response to AIDS, did we not?
    Oh, it's only IV drug users.
    Oh, it's only gay men.

ACT UP and GMHC did a lot to publicize the impacts and the lack of attention it was getting from the Reagan administration.

There are plenty of people in my circle that are basically saying we all have to stay home until a vaccine is developed. If medicine can't find one for AIDS, with 30 years and millions and millions of dollars, is it realistic to think there will be one for COVID by Christmas?
    I follow ACT UP on Twitter and learned right away when Larry Kramer, one of the founders, died. I remember the fear, horror, and misinformation around AIDS in the mid-to-late 80s, and I remember being very scared for/worried about my mom (who was a newly-minted CNA at the time) working with AIDS patience in the nursing home where she worked.

Now ... I read one epidemiologist saying how, with novel viruses like this, you could get bleeding disorders (like ebola) or clotting disorders (hi COVID-19) and that stuck with me. DD's hospital discharge post-cath was delayed because of a clot at the cath site, so that stuck. (I'd cite, but I can't remember where I read it, because I'm reading so much right now! It may have been in a Rutgers Magazine article; the latest issue had cover and supporting stories about the COVID-19 response by the researchers there.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I just finished the book as well. This one quote really stuck will me - that Reagan spent more on paint to put american flags on nuclear missiles that on AIDS (in a given year).

I remember. A horrible, lingering way to die - strong young people losing half their body weight. (My uncle just passed last year of AIDS complications. Though we are grateful for the extra time the drugs gave him, it's hard watching and waiting for a cure that never came.) Lots of good people died, and some didn't have to.

Just like this current virus, things will never be quite the same again.

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I signed my kids up for private tennis lessons online. Before we could start with this instructor, he messaged me on the previous day to say that he wasn’t feeling well and we cancelled the lesson. Now it’s been 2 weeks and I checked back and he said he tested positive for covid but is now in the clear.
    Should I schedule lessons or wait a couple more days? I intend to keep this strictly outdoor but the instructor had mentioned to me that he won’t be able to wear masks and play, that was before he got covid himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

If he has not tested negative twice I would personally want to wait a couple more weeks. DH’s coworker kept thinking he was better then symptoms came back. Can you schedule now, but make the first lesson a couple of weeks out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Myira View Post
    I signed my kids up for private tennis lessons online. Before we could start with this instructor, he messaged me on the previous day to say that he wasn’t feeling well and we cancelled the lesson. Now it’s been 2 weeks and I checked back and he said he tested positive for covid but is now in the clear.
    Should I schedule lessons or wait a couple more days? I intend to keep this strictly outdoor but the instructor had mentioned to me that he won’t be able to wear masks and play, that was before he got covid himself.

I’d find a different coach. He’s coaching, not playing. He should be perfectly able to wear a mask. For that reason alone (reluctance to wear a mask to work) I’d look for someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    If he has not tested negative twice I would personally want to wait a couple more weeks. DH’s coworker kept thinking he was better then symptoms came back. Can you schedule now, but make the first lesson a couple of weeks out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes I certainly can wait to start. I’m also now wondering if I should ask him if he is open to wearing masks.

DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I’d find a different coach. He’s coaching, not playing. He should be perfectly able to wear a mask. For that reason alone (reluctance to wear a mask to work) I’d look for someone else.

I agree. A friend’s teenager tested positive after her tennis coach tested positive
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would find another coach.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I realize being a novel virus information is a moving target. The latest studies suggest after 10 days that virus shedding really drops. At the same time we had patients that never tested negative to the virus, but there definitely appears to be less potential for spread weeks out. I would wait until at least 10 days from symptom onset and 3 days from symptom resolves given the instructions are outside. In some ways it might be safer than just a random person that you don’t know has had it.

Article on new study and guidance.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...0-days-not-14/

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    I realize being a novel virus information is a moving target. The latest studies suggest after 10 days that virus shedding really drops. At the same time we had patients that never tested negative to the virus, but there definitely appears to be less potential for spread weeks out. I would wait until at least 10 days from symptom onset and 3 days from symptom resolves given the instructions are outside. In some ways it might be safer than just a random person that you don’t know has had it.

Article on new study and guidance.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...0-days-not-14/
    Thanks dogmom, I’ll definitely read that link. And to PP, thanks I think I will stick to my guns that both parties should be masked and see how it goes.
    I’m finding it challenging to get the kids enough physical activity. They do just dance and we go bike riding on weekends though now there is only a small window in the morning before the temperatures climb. With swimming not an option, or atleast I have reservations about doing it, we have very few choices.

DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast