PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default So Mad with Covid testing for DH

I need to get this off my chest because I'm furious, but am so overwhelmingly busy with work and need to regain my focus today.
    On Friday at 4pm, DH was notified that a guy he worked several hours with last Monday was tested positive for covid. He works managing a construction project, in a jobsite trailer. He was told to pack up his stuff to work at home for at least a week, and can't return to the trailer until he has tested negative. So he spent literally 3 hours packing up his computers and files, while online and calling to arrange a covid test asap. He got a test appointment for this morning. After he got home, his boss (who was also in the trailer with them on Monday) said he had family that work in healthcare and can get them both tested Monday afternoon. In addition to the stress of worrying if he might get sick, and exposed me and the kids all week, we spent most of the weekend (including father's day) reorganizing, cleaning, and moving furniture around to set up a space for him to work, because I've been working from home since early April and the kids are home, obviously. They sanitized the trailer on Saturday. So he worked from home yesterday morning, and then met his boss at the clinic (50+ miles from our house) to have the tests. They ran the antibody test which was negative. He won't get the swab test results for a couple of days. DH understands that the negative antibody test is virtually useless, and does not mean that he is negative for covid (and has a huge error rate). His boss said, great, we're both negative, I need you back at the trailer in the morning. When DH said no, that doesn't mean we're negative, plus he's spent so much time getting set up at home, the boss said Well then, stay away from the other workers until the swab results confirm it. Last night, DH told me he'd work from home but go to the jobsite (15 min from our house) to walk the job but not go into the trailer. Boss most have sent him more pressure emails because I came downstairs this morning to find DH packing his stuff up to move back to the trailer. Ugh!!!! He said he feels like he doesn't have any choice. And we also suspect that it's possible his boss pulled strings to get the test to show up negative since it was done by someone he knows. I can't believe the liability boss is taking on by putting DH back in the trailer around all the guys. I know DH is cautious and has been as stringent as possible with mask wearing and distancing, but all that didn't stop the exposure last week. DH isn't high risk but I have lung issues. I'm just so mad about this.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Ooh, I'm mad with you! People like his boss are exactly the reason why this thing can spread like wildfire-- they don't take it seriously and require people to work through it. So aggravating.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I’m so sorry! I hope your DH is negative. I’m not sure why they ran an antibody test. That would only work if he had Covid several weeks ago. This is why this thing is spreading in because too many people don’t take this seriously and go out and spread it around without even knowing it.

My principal pulled a similar stunt last month when a bunch of us got exposed. Thankfully the district has a strict policy that the school must remained closed for 14 days, so there was no way she could have any of us on site, as the district can check the alarm codes to see if a building has been entered. I know I was one of the few that remained home for 14 days, while many others went out and about their daily lives and didn’t even bother getting tested like we were supposed to.

Get your own test through your own healthcare provider.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

OP, I'm not sure where you are, but I but in our area (central Illinois, no big cities) there are 5 drop in places to get tested, no symptoms needed. I would find a place to get his own test done. If you are in a city there must be a place to get tested.

Sorry his boss isn't getting this.

I agree, doing the anti body test immediately after exposure didn't make sense.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    I’m so sorry! I hope your DH is negative. I’m not sure why they ran an antibody test. That would only work if he had Covid several weeks ago. This is why this thing is spreading in because too many people don’t take this seriously and go out and spread it around without even knowing it.
    I can see them running the antibody test and hoping to get a positive. Then, since he has the antibodies, he could come back to work and not be worried about getting sick "again" and passing it further.
    I don't agree with that thinking, but since it seems the boss is pressuring OP DH, he may have hoped for that.
    mom to Billy 12/07

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Our CVS offers drive thru testing at their drive thru pharmacy locations. It’s a self swab situation (I couldn’t envision the pharmacist reaching out their window and into your car so was glad to see pics of the set up). See if that’s an option. Good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    Get your own test through your own healthcare provider.

What a cruddy situation. His boss is all kinds of wrong here and I understand why you're furious.

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

OP here. DH kept his appointment he made though our free county testing, which was yesterday morning. It was a drive thru but the technician swabbed thru the car window. He says it REALLY hurt since that was the second time in 2 days. Neither of us really trusts his boss at this point. I'm extremely hopeful that both tests are negative- I don't know what he will do if only one test comes back negative. As awful as 2 positives would be, at least we know for certain. The stress is really hard on him this week.

ETA: we're in southern CA. There was news coverage on TV last night that there has been such a huge surge in the past week that it's almost impossible to get a testing appt. The footage of trumps rally when he talked about slowing the testing down is just adding to my fury.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PunkyBoo; 06-24-2020 at 12:42 PM.

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

PunkyBoo, I’m just seeing this and really feel for you. My relatives own a remodeling company and it’s been business as usual. They’ve been working through the whole shut down as essential workers. There seems to be an industry-wide attitude of ignoring the virus. The lack of distancing and any other safety precautions is frustrating and scary.