Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Can you give up parts of the cooking in specific ways? For instance, Fred: peel and slice three pounds of carrots before dinner. Wilma: Make a salad. George: wash and cut the bin of strawberries in the fridge. Then, you can still do the planning and actual cooking while they help out with some of the prep?

After all, if they want you to be in charge - be in charge! delegate!

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think you should pack a bag and check into a hotel for a few days.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Can you give up parts of the cooking in specific ways? For instance, Fred: peel and slice three pounds of carrots before dinner. Wilma: Make a salad. George: wash and cut the bin of strawberries in the fridge. Then, you can still do the planning and actual cooking while they help out with some of the prep?

After all, if they want you to be in charge - be in charge! delegate!
    Oh I go further than that. I pick the recipe (all stuff they have eaten before and admitted to liking), buy the groceries and then make them cook it. They have to chop, sauté, etc. Occasionally I’ll prep all the veggies for them since I get weekly snack veggies ready anyway. They enjoy cooking once they get started. And they want the food to taste good (or everyone will criticize their cooking skills). The cooking isn’t the problem. It’s the cleaning. And I had a chart of chores. They can pick any of the chores and do at least one per day. I drew out a friggin chart for them to refer to and initial! And they still can’t get their act together. AND, they all criticized the chart. So I’m done. The house will be a pig sty and I don’t care.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    Well, Dd and I will be camping with her troup this weekend. Not exactly the same thing, but it’s something. And what’s better is that the house will be GROSS and my MIL will arrive so DH will be forced to clean it before she comes over!! Ha ha, I’ll be gone camping so not my problem!! And I’ve mentally prepared all sorts of retorts if she tried to criticize my housekeeping. I’m actually looking forward to trying a few out on her.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 06-25-2020 at 01:59 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default I’m tired of being the only adult in the house.

Just one teenager but like yours, he can’t seem to find the trash can or the hamper. I interrupt his video game to make him go back and clean up, so you’d think he would learn to do it properly the first time to not get interrupted, but no. Since the shutdown, I only cook dinner, breakfast and lunch you are on your own. There’s always complaints about no food or haven’t eaten all day, there’s plenty, you just have to prepare it. DH complains more about the food than DS does. You’re an adult, forage in the fridge and pantry and figure it out. Oh there’s no bread, go to the store then as I’m working and not going until tomorrow. DS kept a food diary for a class and he had goldfish for breakfast. I’m sure the teacher had comments about that.

I agree with doing less and letting them fend for themselves.

As for the masks/going places, can you figure out a family plan and then when an invite comes up to an event, ask them if it’s part of your family plan or not. Refer them to the plan. Also consider when your family is comfortable with doing things. Eg DH and I have our anniversary Friday. Usually we would go out to dinner, but we’re only comfortable with outside dining and only occasionally. Our family plan would have take out and outside dining is OK, but indoor dining isn’t. So an invite to an indoors restaurant would get a no.

There’s a list circulating that rates activities. Maybe you and DH could say anything 5 or 4 and under is ok, and anything above isn’t, or look through the list and discuss what is/isn’t ok

A mask is non-negotiable. Here everyone has to wear one is out in public or indoors. Majority of people have a mask on. I know it’s more difficult to enforce the mask rule when others don’t. Maybe stress that the mask is for the other person to keep them safe if you aren’t showing symptoms, you’re caring for others by wearing a mask

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 06-25-2020 at 06:06 PM.

petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

So, finding the trash can and the hamper.....both things my little kids struggle with! My question is, do they just not ever outgrow thia or do they do ok for a while but forget everything when the teen years hit??
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    So, finding the trash can and the hamper.....both things my little kids struggle with! My question is, do they just not ever outgrow thia or do they do ok for a while but forget everything when the teen years hit??
    It is freaking never ending!! I swear, when my son is on his own, I am going to visit and bring empty snack bar boxes with me and leave them in his pantry!!!!!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

My kids want to earn money. I am paying DD to cook and clean up—has to be recipes I approve. She is learning but it is great for me!! DS has a list of yard chores. And he drives so he does errands for me. They have done their own laundry since before middle school. I have taught DS how to fold and iron. He chooses not to. Now I am going to make them wash/fold their own sheets/towels. DS is still a slob—who takes pains with his personal appearance at least. dD is much neater. But she bakes and leaves messes.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    It is freaking never ending!! I swear, when my son is on his own, I am going to visit and bring empty snack bar boxes with me and leave them in his pantry!!!!!!
    Thank you for the laugh!! I find so many empty boxes in the pantry. Yesterday our 12 lb dog carried an empty cereal box in his mouth through the house that he found in the kids' den. Just pick up your mess!!!
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    Me too. Here the battle is screen time. Dh would be 100% fine if the kids sat in front of a screen for the rest of their lives and fried the brains and bodies into useless lumps. He sees no reason to enforce any limits. It's aggravating.

That's gonna change right after July 4th because DD has camp (outdoors! with other children! socially distanced, yes, but with other children!) and I need her schedule to shift so we can be in the car at 7am because her bus stop is further away this year.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast