Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Sure Dad. By all means break quarantine and good see my brother...

But then refuse to see my kids (distanced, outside) because you’re worried about COVID. Here’s more info. My parents divorced when I was 2. Both remarried. My brother is his son with my step-mom—he’s my half-brother. They traveled from SD to Oakland on Mother’s Day to stay with him and see him and his new baby.

Fast forward to this summer. He contacts me to come see the kids, distanced and outside. We set up a time and this morning I get an email that “out of an abundance of caution” they’re decided they’re not coming.

All of this is fine. I want him to feel safe. The only irritating thing is 1. You asked to see us, not the other way around. 2. You already told us you spent a weekend with my brother in May IN HIS HOUSE. That was back when things were much more tightly closed up. I remember because DH and I were sort of shocked!

I’m really ok with this because I’m used to it. It’s still irritating. I feel like COVID has made me realize how much I’m control of my time I really am. I think I’m done spending that precious commodity with people who don’t value me and my family.

I'm so sorry. That must sting. You have a good attitude about it, though. I agree with you that it's his loss!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Maybe they are trying to protect you since they just did that trip?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Maybe they are trying to protect you since they just did that trip?

It was 6 weeks ago. So I don’t think it can be that!

Is your area harder hit virus-wise than his? Maybe it could be that someone mentioned staying away from that area?
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    Is your area harder hit virus-wise than his? Maybe it could be that someone mentioned staying away from that area?
    No. It’s about the same. I can’t figure it out.

Also, the invitation was extended on Wednesday. We talked yesterday evening. He explained that he’s back at the beach and on the golf course. And this morning BAM text message...

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Remember Melanie's thread, and how someone commented on the fact that it's easy to make excuses now b/c you can just say "sorry, we want to be safe"? Sadly, it seems like people are using this excuse in lots of scenarios that are hurting other people, too. : (

In this case though, I actually wonder if they're deciding not to visit b/c you're *too* serious about the virus for their tastes. I know people who are basically the reverse of my family -- who only are willing to hang out with people who "aren't afraid" (their words, not mine) of the virus. They're annoyed that people like me don't allow others in their houses, and expect playdates to be outside. They're annoyed that we're still telling our kids not to hug elderly relatives. They don't want to meet in the park, they want to sit in the living room and eat dinner at the kitchen table. Could your Dad feel like this? (I'm not making excuses for him, I think this is a cruddy viewpoint, but as I've heard it expressed by others I'm just wondering if this might be what's happening)
    Lizi

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

I’m no longer tolerating crappy behavior from family just because they’re family.

I’d reply “ok” and then I’ll carry on with my life spending my time with people who behave well towards me and I won’t go out of my way for the crappy family members. Relationships are two-ways, you’re not going to put effort into it well I’m not going to try to do more to make up for that. Lots of other people in my life to focus on.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don't know your kids' ages, but a brief story.. Once my oldest niece turned five, my sister finally stopped making excuses for her ex. When he would call sister to tell he he wasn't coming to get niece for his visitation (as per their parenting plan) she would just say "hold on" and hand niece the phone. She just decided that if he wasn't coming, he could tell his daughter himself and not make her the bad guy.

My point is - maybe you just don't tell your kids they're coming and let it be a surprise, or make Grampa tell them why he's not coming. Try to take the stress of of yourself, it's not your fault.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast