Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have heard nothing decided about how school will look, and I think that's a big part of the problem. Last I heard, the were looking at hybrid but I don't think that will work here - far too many people with limited or no access to internet (in our extremely rural area). Our internet is 6mb at best, and during the workday is much less. It works fine for sending/downloading, just very slow, but DS can't be in Zoom meetings or stream. It's not that we don't buy internet, it's the lack of providers - it's not profitable to run cable across large distances here in the country.
    AS I said in another tread, more of a concern here is busing. If they're still going to cram 80 kids on the bus for more than an hour twice a day, what they do in school buildings isn't going to make a huge difference. (90%+ of our district kids are bused.)

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Nobody is addressing the fact that, in reality, I will guarantee that when the majority of kids are outside of school they will be playing with so many other kids, in parks, at sports, and other activities. So all the "cohorts" or alternating schedules won't really eliminate the kids being around others.

The folks on this board who report they are are strictly keeping themselves from doing social activities, shopping, doing sports etc are not what I see in the rest of the country.

My teacher friends are looking at going back, wearing a mask if required, increasing hand washing and health checks, and hope that the models that show kids aren't going to be transmitting the virus.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have two options, online or hybrid. They are giving us the option, and we will go with the hybrid model, which is two days at school and 3 days online. Seems like our state and district are doing their best under these very difficult, rudderless circumstances. Hopefully there will be more data about kid-adult transmission by then, from around the globe. What I am reading says it's the adults that need to keep away from other adults, and elementary kids don't transmit to each other or to adults. But it could change over the summer. Tough times.

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    Nobody is addressing the fact that, in reality, I will guarantee that when the majority of kids are outside of school they will be playing with so many other kids, in parks, at sports, and other activities. So all the "cohorts" or alternating schedules won't really eliminate the kids being around others.

I totally agree with this, and have felt since the beginning that this is the huge flaw in the cohort/hybrid model. I actually think it causes MORE mixing than 5 day a week school, because kids have more time out of school to mix with other kids that aren't in their class. And the cohort/hybrid model only addresses students, not the staff that will be there every single day, mixing with all groups of kids. It really seems to me that schools should be open 5 days a week/full time if at all possible, and if it's not safely possible, then school should be 100% virtual, with all resources going towards making that as strong a program as possible.
    Lizi

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The folks on this board who report they are are strictly keeping themselves from doing social activities, shopping, doing sports etc are not what I see in the rest of the country.

My teacher friends are looking at going back, wearing a mask if required, increasing hand washing and health checks, and hope that the models that show kids aren't going to be transmitting the virus.

This is true. Out here most of our kid things are still closed. No playgrounds, pools, summer camps, or sports. Most people are still not taking their kids shopping. So the kids are still being kept pretty isolated. If things open, then kids will be mixing no matter how they are grouped in school.

Default What is your public school district's or private/ independent school's plan?

Our governor released state guidelines that will be left up to the 500 districts in my state which model they’ll do. It’ll be either all back in school 5 days a week or a hybrid model. Complete virtual school is not allowed, as governor felt that caused more harm than good.

My kids district will release their plans by end of July. I live in a suburban to semi rural town with only 14K population and a small district of K-8th, HS is in a completely different district. The school my rising 1st grader only keeps PreK to 3rd grade, and is a newer bigger new build so the class size and classrooms are spacious, each have bathroom in kindergarten/1st grades. Sinks in 2nd and 3rd grades classrooms, so it is entirely possible that school will follow the 5 day in person model. My oldest son will enter 4th grade and going to a different school across town that’s only for 4th and 5th grades, older building but big though. So may be possible there again for 5 day if stay in sane cohort/bubble. The middle school is likely to do the hybrid model due to different numerous classes, teams, etc.

ETA: it’s public district here. In a wealthier neighborhood so parents and PTA are willing to step up to fill in the gaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by DualvansMommy; 06-28-2020 at 03:10 PM.
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

The hybrid model is not only about cohorts, but more about having the ability to distance the kids with fewer kids in the classroom.

Plus, the reason why the country is experiencing a surge is because people are resuming their life as normal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Parent choice: 5 days/week or e-learning. Extra cleaning, sanitizing procedures in school. Lunch schedules changed to allow time between classes (30 min) between group to clean, sanitize, and social distance. Masks required at school. Mask wearing required in certain school area (hallways, for example). Some sort of alternate playground routine, to allow for social distancing and cleaning. No field trips, no volunteers, no visitors beyond the office (and no admittance into the office unless wearing a mask and following sanitary procedures). Back to school parent conferences done virtually instead of in person. School bus cheating charts, family members required to sit together on the bus.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Peaches Keane View Post
    Parent choice: 5 days/week or e-learning. Extra cleaning, sanitizing procedures in school. Lunch schedules changed to allow time between classes (30 min) between group to clean, sanitize, and social distance. Masks required at school. Mask wearing required in certain school area (hallways, for example). Some sort of alternate playground routine, to allow for social distancing and cleaning. No field trips, no volunteers, no visitors beyond the office (and no admittance into the office unless wearing a mask and following sanitary procedures). Back to school parent conferences done virtually instead of in person. School bus cheating charts, family members required to sit together on the bus.
    Must be a small school!! Or have a lot of cafeteria capacity. Here lunches start at 10:30 and end at 1:40 with just a 5 minute reset between most groups. That’s with 75 kids/ grade as that’s all that fits at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

meggie t is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Private Catholic schools - my children are in two different schools. Catholic but independent. The diocese has already put out a notice that the intention for fall is to return 5 days in school. Now, depending on how the summer goes, I know that can change. If the schools are required to go with distance learning for an extended period of time, I would consider homeschooling on my own.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast