Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

A big reason for the cohort method is to reduce who needs to quarantine when someone ends up positive (notice I said “when”). If a school chooses to quarantine based on contact, they will only have to do a certain number of students in a certain number of classes vs multiple students in multiple classes. People still need to play it reasonably safe, and they aren’t. Stupid is as stupid does, I guess.

Our HS says that we will know what’s going on in three weeks. They sent a short questionnaire that asked about bus needs and if you prefer full time, blended learning, or all remote learning. The lower grades sent out a useless questionnaire asking about bus needs. I think they want to go back as much as possible for childcare needs, which I don’t agree with (we should be finding/creating alternative childcare options for parents). Neither school has room to social distance. It’s going to be a mess. But it will be fine. Everyone is dealing with it.

I will say that we play it pretty safe and stay around others who do, too. When school starts, we will have to be vigilant since children can be silent carriers and we need to protect our older and sicker populations.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Our hs district is taking community feedback right now. Once someone makes a statement, all others can rate that statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We just got our survey back. Overall about 65% of families responded and only 1% would like full remote schooling next year. I think it may be the way they’re going to offer remote schooling—it will be a live feed that the child at home would watch. That’s not a great model!

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    We just got our survey back. Overall about 65% of families responded and only 1% would like full remote schooling next year. I think it may be the way they’re going to offer remote schooling—it will be a live feed that the child at home would watch. That’s not a great model!
    Agreed, I would not sign my child up for that model! I would either send them to school or officially home school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    Nobody is addressing the fact that, in reality, I will guarantee that when the majority of kids are outside of school they will be playing with so many other kids, in parks, at sports, and other activities. So all the "cohorts" or alternating schedules won't really eliminate the kids being around others.
    We have just started (last week) letting DC hang out with a friend in the neighborhood with masks and social distancing. HOWEVER, on Saturday she came home and said that all the neighborhood kids were there playing crochet and she ate a snack while over there. They did stay outside, but she did not wear a mask the whole time. SO, we set more rules...no taking off the mask and no eating food offered. I hate all these rules that any other time would be ridiculous. However, we drove by one of the neighbors earlier today and a few of the kids were out playing without masks... That is why we set the mask and social distancing rule for our DC! I do not want to take away DC's only in person social outlet, so we are just going to set more rules as things come up. DC is a rule follower and will tell me what she does so that is not a concern. However, the masses of teens that are running rampant in town are definitely concerning from a virus spreading point of view.

As for school, our year-round private school is having some in-person time this summer with masks and social distancing. It's going to be interesting. HOWEVER, it is totally doable for a very small private school; I don't know how the larger schools and public school will manage.

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default What is your public school district's or private/ independent school's plan?

Our district said 18% parents wanted remote while some 82% asked for return to school with safety measures in place.
    They are looking at the option of committing to remote learning for a semester after which you get the chance to re-evaluate if you want to continue or go back in person.
    They are also saying that remote learning will not look anything like it did in the spring.

I am personally liking the option of committing to a semester for either options. That way you are already planning for a change of plans as the situation gets better or worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

speo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I don't know that I've heard the last from the HS that DS1 attends. Speo is in the district, am I behind? I"m less worried about him. He actually did great with full remote learning. But he's also very cautious and would wear a mask and distance in person learning was to be possible in the Fall.
    Have you looked at the ppt for the board meeting last week? That really lays out the possibilities. I think the district was pretty close to agreement on a model for elementary, but secondary is much more challenging. Students will likely have the option of all DL, an already existing academy program that is independent learning guided by teachers, or hybrid. It became impossible to do full time in person once the state required 6 feet of separation. I believe in general the classrooms can get 16 students. The students who choose the academy program will not be able to move back to in person for the entire year as the curriculum doesn't match trimester for trimester. Hybrid and DL will be able to move back and forth at the end of grading periods. This seems like a major challenge that isn't discussed! So often teachers are not matching lessons or standards with each other in time.

The ppt had a great table of the 8 different possible hybrid schedules they are considering. They have worked through many calculations! I think their models may have to change with the new 5 days per week ruling. I think the option they are most likely to pick is having am and pm 5 day per week cohorts. They have a schedule where they do 2 periods per half day. They will see each class every 3 days. What seemed kind of insane to me is that if a teacher has 1 prep, they will give the same lesson 10 times!! That is a bit crazy making.

I am curious to see if we even open up with our rising numbers. We are up in our local mountains and it is the busiest I've ever seen it. Large groups of people everywhere. Many in groups waiting to go into restaurants. Even Denny's!! I think so cal numbers are just going to get worse in the near future.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I do not understand the hybrid model. Seven year olds will be forced into another daycare situation, with new exposure, and big kids will be running around with various friends. Get these kids back in school.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    I do not understand the hybrid model. Seven year olds will be forced into another daycare situation, with new exposure, and big kids will be running around with various friends. Get these kids back in school.
    I agree that this is a problem for exposure but I wonder if they count on lots of kids not going to daycare? We’re in an area with a high percentage of SAHP or else multi-generational families.

speo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Well, I just read through some recent emails from the teacher's union. The district is moving forward with the am/pm 5 day cohort option. This option has one of the highest numbers for teacher student contacts. It's 180 per week. Survey results of teachers have teachers overwhelmingly concerned about safety and these numbers. The district is unwilling to discuss further. The union is gathering info from it's members on how to proceed, but it doesn't look good. This is all for secondary. Everyone is in agreement with primary schedules.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast