m4nash is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default I need a vacation

Two of my three kids’ competitive sports teams have resumed in-person practices outdoors. We have allowed our kids to practice with their teammates and the leagues are doing what they can to keep the kids’ gear separated and the kids separated when in line for drills, one league is even doing temperature checks. One of these sports is a contact sport and they resumed contact at practice between players last week. We have allowed my son to participate in this, as did all but one family. The team is heading to tournaments in July and August, some in-state and some out-of-state. My husband is type 1 diabetic and is very uncomfortable with the Covid risk traveling and at the tournaments, so we made the decision to not let our son go to the July tournaments and told his coaches he is a maybe for August. Honestly my son seems okay with all of this and his coaches are supportive of our decision, but I feel bad. This whole pandemic sucks. We cancelled our summer vacation (2.5 weeks to national parks out west) and I was hoping we could at least go to these summer tournaments. Now it’s looking like we will spend our summer at home. I know this is petty and I should be glad that not going on vacation is the biggest disappointment I have right now, but between the stress of remote schooling and working from home for the last 3 months and the social isolation, I am just done. I want to go sit on a beach with a drink in my hand and not worry about anyone getting sick.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

FWIW I think you made the right call. But, is there an airbnb you can rent close to your home (like 2-3 hours away) that'll give you just enough of an escape and something to look forward to? My friend just posted pics of her lake trip and it was a town I hadn't heard of (and already struck out of finding a suitable rental) and I booked within in the hour. Now that I have something- something totally non-exciting- to look forward to, I feel so much better!