Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default If the kids aren't going to be wearing masks in the fall

then it doesn't make a lot of sense for us to be prohibiting their interaction this summer to me.

I assumed all kids would be wearing masks to safely return to school this fall. But in the last few weeks I've heard more and more about how people feel that isn't realistic for the classroom (esp for the younger students) and I've seen a couple of people here and schools in town mention their schools are not having students wear masks. It doesn't make much sense for us (me) to continue to strictly limit my kids' social interactions with their friends if they will just be back in school in 6 weeks, not wearing masks, mixing with way more kids, etc.
    K

My state released guidelines saying kids are highly encouraged to wear masks, while educators and staff to wear mandatory masks. From how the talk is being discussed here, it sounds like middle school and older are expected/encouraged to wear masks while K-6 to just social distance.

Not sure how that really works when social distance couldn’t be done, that’s where the masks come in for younger kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Everything I've heard from state and the local school district so far is that masks will be mandatory for those older than 4th grade (which here is middle school and up as our middle school begins in grade 5). We also have no expectation of being back to school full time - our high school said they don't believe they will be able to have more than a third of the students in the school at any one time, so we may be looking at a week in the building and two weeks remote (they will do a weekly rotation, not a daily one).

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    then it doesn't make a lot of sense for us to be prohibiting their interaction this summer to me.

I assumed all kids would be wearing masks to safely return to school this fall. But in the last few weeks I've heard more and more about how people feel that isn't realistic for the classroom (esp for the younger students) and I've seen a couple of people here and schools in town mention their schools are not having students wear masks. It doesn't make much sense for us (me) to continue to strictly limit my kids' social interactions with their friends if they will just be back in school in 6 weeks, not wearing masks, mixing with way more kids, etc.

DH and I have been saying this for a few weeks. Why are we being so careful with our kids' exposures if we're just going to be throwing them into a pack of wolves once school starts. It's over at that point with no masks. Our state mandates are supposed to come out on Thursday and I'm very interested in seeing what they say. Supposedly it's going to allow counties to determine how schools operate based on case load, but I'm hoping they at least mandate a mask rule because I know my county won't.

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I live in one of those places where masks aren't required, or even recommended. We have been super diligent about social distancing and mask use (although only by adults b/c I really have just kept the kids isolated) -- but although I haven't yet acted on my feelings, when I heard the school board's plans my thoughts were exactly what you described. What's the point in keeping my kids away from the neighbor kids right now, when they'll all be in school with in a few weeks?

Logically I can give some reasons why it's not okay to just stop caring, but I completely agree with you that my thoughts went right to the same place.
    Lizi

My husband wants to keep our daughter out of daycare as long as possible. She HAS to go back sometime in August, because that will be the point where I just can't do my job without her being there. I'm keeping her at home as long as they aren't making us pay for her spot (which they said they won't make us pay as long as there is an open spot, but if another kid wants it we'll have to pay to hold it -- I think this is more than fair). But once I have to pay for it anyway I don't see any difference in sending her back mid July or mid August. She's starting once a week dance class next week, but they're holding it outside and encouraging mask use as much as possible given that the kids are 3-4.

We've decided to let our son go to the camp (3 hours a day for 1 week) in mid July that we'd signed him up for back in February. They do not require masks, but I'm going to send him in one and encourage him to wear it.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Liziz View Post
    I live in one of those places where masks aren't required, or even recommended. We have been super diligent about social distancing and mask use (although only by adults b/c I really have just kept the kids isolated) -- but although I haven't yet acted on my feelings, when I heard the school board's plans my thoughts were exactly what you described. What's the point in keeping my kids away from the neighbor kids right now, when they'll all be in school with in a few weeks?

Logically I can give some reasons why it's not okay to just stop caring, but I completely agree with you that my thoughts went right to the same place.
    Yes, and this is the issue I have with the "recommended" piece for masks at school. This will result in lots of kids not wearing them (some understandably for specific reasons/needs, but others just bc they don't want to or family doesn't feel they need to or should be asked to). I think it will put teachers/staff in a tough spot w/ messaging on masks too - trying to get students to wear them whose families send them, but also not making anyone feel excluded for wearing or not wearing them. Then at that point when they are optional for school, how are we saying as a society that mask wearing is truly important?? "Wear a mask" is the message from health professionals in any other situation, but they aren't needed in schools? Especially when school has the risks factors of being a large group inside where social distancing will be challenging? I think this will just further complicate the mask message and make people incorrectly think that they really aren't needed or effective. I can just hear the argument that if schools don't use them, why should anyone!

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

My kids' schools are requiring masks- we'll see how that goes. My oldest two are in high school, I think it should be fine- not as confident with elementary but I think it is worth trying at least even if compliance is not perfect. Masks are legally required indoors in my state. That said, I do not make my kids wear masks every time they are with others- we are going to the pool and they are playing with other kids- can't wear masks in the water obviously and I'm letting them play together out of the water without masks. We have seen a few friends and have not worn masks- all time spent outside. It's a risk, but I don't want to go all summer and not let my kids have any interactions with others and masks seem impractical when in and out of the pool and running around outside in the heat.

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I’m a teacher and my county is requiring and providing masks for all students and staff on the days they are in school. I am sure there will be some exceptions but the expectation is all in masks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast