Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I think the rules on this have relaxed a lot...a negative test and many days asymptomatic after exposure and I would feel ok about it, but it's not a bad idea to wait the 14 days. I also know people that I think for sure had it that tested negative in the early days. (One of my coworkers was at Disney the last 3 days it was open then flew home, got sick with classic covid symptoms three or four days later...tested negative. Yeah, ok.) Negative test + asymptomatic I would still be ok with though, it's different if they have symptoms...

We had an asymptomatic patient that tested positive hours after coming through our clinic (ultrasound with 45 minute exam in very close contact, only protection is surgical mask and requiring patient to wear cloth masks/face covering.) We didn't find out for a week after the fact and they basically didn't have us do anything- no one quarantined, etc. and everyone was still working (with high risk ob patients).
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

A negative test only means that a person is negative at the testing time (think of it like a flu test, if you test too soon, you will be negative). Our hospital has, unfortunately, had a couple exposures from people who tested negative 2-3 days before a procedure, but then became positive and symptomatic later on. False negative? Maybe. Tested too early? Maybe. I’d personally wait to see them until they have gone 14 days from exposure. It’s not worth the risk or worry.

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My friend's family had two people wake up sick weekend before last. They all went for rapid tests and three were positive and two were negative - that was Sunday. On Monday night one negative spiked a fever. On Wednesday the other one got sick. So they were both either false negative or tested too early based on when their other family members infected them. Either way, all five eventually were positive (one of the positives remained asymptomatic). Three of them tested negative last Friday (less than 14 days post first onset of symptoms) - test needed to return to work, but hard to know whether they are truly negative or not given the false negative rate.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks all... we are waiting the 2 weeks at least. She does not have symptoms for now.

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Dh has a cousin & his daughter who both had positive tests. The dad was told by his doctor that he was safe as soon as he had a negative result. The daughter was told that she had to quarantine for 14 days after she got a negative result. Different doctors. Different opinions.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by klwa View Post
    The daughter was told that she had to quarantine for 14 days after she got a negative result.
    Wow that would sure make it hard.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by klwa View Post
    Dh has a cousin & his daughter who both had positive tests. The dad was told by his doctor that he was safe as soon as he had a negative result. The daughter was told that she had to quarantine for 14 days after she got a negative result. Different doctors. Different opinions.
    My friend was told everyone in the house had to quarantine the same amount of time. My friend was in the clear after 3 weeks, but it took her parents well over 6 weeks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2