Default Kindle kids edition

Does anyone have this? I was considering it for my kids but the reviews on Amazon are very mixed. I have a paperwhite that I use, primarily with downloads through my library/Libby. That would probably be true for my kids as well. It comes with a year of FreeTime but we haven’t been impressed with that (although we haven’t explored the books as well as we could).

Or is there a better e-reader suitable for kids on the market?

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Was literally just looking at this and was like, "wow reviews are not great". I still want to hack our kindle fires to make them primarily e-readers with no other functionality but haven't figured it out completely.

ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am waiting for a good Amazon or Woot deal on refurbished kindle ereaders for my kids. Kinda kicking myself for not grabbing some when I saw them last summer. DD1 has a Nook Simple touch that she loves but I haven’t been able to download library books to it. My kindle paper white is so much easier for getting library books.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    I am waiting for a good Amazon or Woot deal on refurbished kindle ereaders for my kids. Kinda kicking myself for not grabbing some when I saw them last summer. DD1 has a Nook Simple touch that she loves but I haven’t been able to download library books to it. My kindle paper white is so much easier for getting library books.

If you see a good deal, please post! I’d give it a shot for a bargain price.

ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sf333 View Post
    If you see a good deal, please post! I’d give it a shot for a bargain price.
    Woot seems to do Amazon deals in July, coordinating with Prime Day. But I think Prime Day is moving this year due to Covid? Though I read that it would be later or different this year.

we have 2 I really bought them as a device that could be locked down to just books/audio books, and they work for that. They def aren't a substitute for a tablet, and we have the browser feature disabled. I wish I could say I use the parental controls to monitor how much they read etc. but mostly during school my kids were doing reading through the school programs like Epic etc and we've not pushed reading since school got out between all the audio books they've been doing and other activities. We don't do anything else with them, but when the kids are home and it's not screen time they are pretty much listening to an audio book on their own volition. No questions asked 2 year warranty was truly no questions asked after DS submerged his. They've gotten me more hours of "getting something done" than I would have gotten from a babysitter for the same price so even though they aren't amazing they've been worth purchasing for us.
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

Quote Originally Posted by echoesofspring View Post
    we have 2 I really bought them as a device that could be locked down to just books/audio books, and they work for that. They def aren't a substitute for a tablet, and we have the browser feature disabled. I wish I could say I use the parental controls to monitor how much they read etc. but mostly during school my kids were doing reading through the school programs like Epic etc and we've not pushed reading since school got out between all the audio books they've been doing and other activities. We don't do anything else with them, but when the kids are home and it's not screen time they are pretty much listening to an audio book on their own volition. No questions asked 2 year warranty was truly no questions asked after DS submerged his. They've gotten me more hours of "getting something done" than I would have gotten from a babysitter for the same price so even though they aren't amazing they've been worth purchasing for us.
    We have tablets galore so the idea of a dedicated reader sounds very appealing! I have to say, the no questions asked warranty is also a selling point. How is the book selection with FreeTime?

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Both of my boys have waterproof Kindle Paperwhites. They use them in the bath and the jacuzzi.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)