Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    The research that I’ve read seems to indicate that surgical masks are more protective? Or maybe just that more testing has been done? I ordered pediatric surgical masks for my littles. Now I want to order some for me, DH and my big kids!
    I'm curious, where are you buying surgical masks? None of the disposable masks I find say they are surgical. They seem to be 3-ply paper masks that are simply disposable, not necessarily as protective as a surgical mask.

Way before the pandemic started, I bought some anti-viral disposable face masks at Target. I vaguely remember reading on the box that they had some protective properties (they blocked such-and-such size particles), so perhaps they were the same kind of surgical masks that medical staff use? Of course, they're no longer available anywhere. Here is what the box looked like:

masks.jpg

I'm just wondering if people are using the terms "disposable" and "surgical" interchangeably? Or if I'm missing out, and people are really able to buy surgical masks?
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I'm re-reading Michigan's plan. It says "Facial coverings may be homemade or disposable level-one (basic) grade surgical masks."

I don't know how particular they are going to be. But, that means no store-bought cloth mask as well as no disposable without the ASTM Level 1 designation. That will be difficult, I would think.
    Kris

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    I'm re-reading Michigan's plan. It says "Facial coverings may be homemade or disposable level-one (basic) grade surgical masks."

I don't know how particular they are going to be. But, that means no store-bought cloth mask as well as no disposable without the ASTM Level 1 designation. That will be difficult, I would think.
    I’d check with your school. I think if they accept homemade, they will accept store bought. Also, any cheap “surgical” mask typically has a Level 1 designation. That’s about all that is out there to purchase right now.

I have been stocking up on masks for the four of us. Hanes, Target has kids masks, Etsy. I just purchased some Bloch masks for Dd for dance, but haven’t received them yet. I wouldn’t depend on surgical masks, honestly. I wear a Level 2 at work and it’s a mess after one day. You’re going to be tossing them out every day after school.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by icunurse View Post
    I’d check with your school. I think if they accept homemade, they will accept store bought. Also, any cheap “surgical” mask typically has a Level 1 designation. That’s about all that is out there to purchase right now.

I have been stocking up on masks for the four of us. Hanes, Target has kids masks, Etsy. I just purchased some Bloch masks for Dd for dance, but haven’t received them yet. I wouldn’t depend on surgical masks, honestly. I wear a Level 2 at work and it’s a mess after one day. You’re going to be tossing them out every day after school.
    All we have are the state guidelines right now. I don't know when we'll get more info from our district.

The masks I have don't have a surgical designation at all.
    Kris

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Well, yes, we store them and use them over and over, hospitals, nursing home etc. It's not what we usually did, but with probably wearing them for the next 6 months we will never have enough if we throw them out after each use. So yes, we all store them in a paper bag.

We just use the standard surgical mask, with the wire for the nose.

Old rules for use of PPE has gone out the window.

If folks want to fheie out after each use, that is up to them, but you will burn through then quickly, which is also why we try not to as there is still a shortage and delay in getting PPE, and with the spike, only going to get worse.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post

If those are the exact words from the plan it says "may" not "must". I interpret this as homemade masks are fine and you don't need store bought ones, not that only homemade are allowed. And I would think any kind of disposable masks should be fine.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

Quote Originally Posted by wencit View Post
    I'm curious, where are you buying surgical masks? None of the disposable masks I find say they are surgical. They seem to be 3-ply paper masks that are simply disposable, not necessarily as protective as a surgical mask.

Way before the pandemic started, I bought some anti-viral disposable face masks at Target. I vaguely remember reading on the box that they had some protective properties (they blocked such-and-such size particles), so perhaps they were the same kind of surgical masks that medical staff use? Of course, they're no longer available anywhere. Here is what the box looked like:

masks.jpg

I'm just wondering if people are using the terms "disposable" and "surgical" interchangeably? Or if I'm missing out, and people are really able to buy surgical masks?
    I've seen various descriptions online with terms "non-medical", "medical", and "surgical", and they all seem very similar to me. I was looking at 2 listings, 1 says non-medical and the other medical and they both pretty much have the same description for the different layers of the mask.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    I've seen various descriptions online with terms "non-medical", "medical", and "surgical", and they all seem very similar to me. I was looking at 2 listings, 1 says non-medical and the other medical and they both pretty much have the same description for the different layers of the mask.
    It's all so confusing and misleading, isn't it?
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

boilermakermom is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

Has anyone found a good tween size mask? DD (age 12) is petite, so teen sizes are too big for her. I am looking for both disposable and washable ones for her but I am not having any luck.

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I really love the mama seamstress masks, but they tend to run big (like I can wear the kids size, my 8 to can wear the toddler). I wonder if a kid size would be the right fit?
    Quote Originally Posted by boilermakermom View Post
    Has anyone found a good tween size mask? DD (age 12) is petite, so teen sizes are too big for her. I am looking for both disposable and washable ones for her but I am not having any luck.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast