Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Tips!

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Puppy Tips!

We have taken the plunge and put a deposit down on a Bernedoodle puppy! We will get her in a few weeks. It’s been 14 years since we have had a puppy! Hit me with your favorite puppy tips and products!!!
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

Quote Originally Posted by scrooks View Post
    We have taken the plunge and put a deposit down on a Bernedoodle puppy! We will get her in a few weeks. It’s been 14 years since we have had a puppy! Hit me with your favorite puppy tips and products!!!
    Congrats! We have a golden mountain doodle (goldendoodle dad and bernedoodle mom), even though he's in demon puppy stage I think he has a lot of the bernedoodle calmness.

We got a heartbeat puppy thing that helped the first few nights but now he doesn't really care about. Tons of chew toys of all varieties. A crate. Washable puppy pads. A 'puppy jail' area when we are inside and don't want him crated but not ready to give him free reign yet either (we actually had one for our daughter but now they make them that attach to the crate so you can leave crate door open but give them an option to walk around like for people gone all day, etc. Genius idea and I'm tempted to buy one but hubby would be annoyed. https://www.amazon.com/MidWest-Folda...NrPXRydWU&th=1

I really like this guy's youtube videos on puppy training, I've watched the puppy biting one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJS_5zupnc0 and the '5 things to do with your new dog right away' among others. I wish I had watched the puppy biting one weeks ago, but better late than never. I still need to watch more especially before he can go to training. (Our vet says parvo is extremely bad this year and don't take him anywhere until he's had the full series..)
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I'm SOOOOO excited for you!! We have been absolutely thrilled with our bernedoodle.

I actually wrote a blog post about the stuff we got for Elphie and what worked/didn't work for us.

https://bargainbabe.com/amazon-puppy...ring-pandemic/

Our biggest issue was really that she seemed to have a super sensitive stomach and had to go to the vet several times for that. My friend says that doodles are known for stomach issues? I did not know this and wish I had. And even things like bully sticks can be an issue. Now that we have switched to Hill's dog food, she seems great, but I would definitely make any food switches very carefully, little by little, as recommended by the vet.

Also they are apparently very big chewers, our girl definitely is. These have been an amazing solution for us: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    They last FOREVER. And we have found that when she is getting lots of good chew time she doesn't chew our stuff :-)
    Last edited by Melaine; 07-02-2020 at 12:43 PM.

I am really glad we got the crate with the divider as recommended on a youtube video....so she started out in the only crate she'll ever need. Another crazy discovery we made is that she is SO hot natured (and we keep our house pretty cool) that she actually wasn't comfortable with the little crate liners. She was wiggling around and kicking the crate and waking me up all night. My husband had the idea to wrap a sheet around the plastic base of the crate, so there is no cushion but she is now sleeping quietly without wiggling around so we can tell she likes the hard surface better. I might look into a cooling mat for her. Because she is hot natured, she also likes to lay on the vents which isn't good in our small house in summer!

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    I am really glad we got the crate with the divider as recommended on a youtube video....so she started out in the only crate she'll ever need. Another crazy discovery we made is that she is SO hot natured (and we keep our house pretty cool) that she actually wasn't comfortable with the little crate liners. She was wiggling around and kicking the crate and waking me up all night. My husband had the idea to wrap a sheet around the plastic base of the crate, so there is no cushion but she is now sleeping quietly without wiggling around so we can tell she likes the hard surface better. I might look into a cooling mat for her. Because she is hot natured, she also likes to lay on the vents which isn't good in our small house in summer!
    I was considering getting a cooling mat for our pekingese as she seems to get so hot so quickly when we take her outside and I worry about her overheating if its really hot out. I saw mats at Aldi for $10, so I might try one of those for the price!

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AngB View Post
    Congrats! We have a golden mountain doodle (goldendoodle dad and bernedoodle mom), even though he's in demon puppy stage I think he has a lot of the bernedoodle calmness.

We got a heartbeat puppy thing that helped the first few nights but now he doesn't really care about. Tons of chew toys of all varieties. A crate. Washable puppy pads. A 'puppy jail' area when we are inside and don't want him crated but not ready to give him free reign yet either (we actually had one for our daughter but now they make them that attach to the crate so you can leave crate door open but give them an option to walk around like for people gone all day, etc. Genius idea and I'm tempted to buy one but hubby would be annoyed. https://www.amazon.com/MidWest-Folda...NrPXRydWU&th=1

I really like this guy's youtube videos on puppy training, I've watched the puppy biting one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJS_5zupnc0 and the '5 things to do with your new dog right away' among others. I wish I had watched the puppy biting one weeks ago, but better late than never. I still need to watch more especially before he can go to training. (Our vet says parvo is extremely bad this year and don't take him anywhere until he's had the full series..)
    Ooh, I like that fence that attaches to the crate. Wonder if it would work with our Kong crate? I'm a bit concerned once work and life resumes to normal and our do is home by herself for longer periods of time. She likes her crate, but I would feel better if she had more space to move around in. I'm hesitant to let her roam in the kitchen/living room as she sometimes gets overly excited and runs after the cats. Also, she can manage to wiggle her way through the baby gates we have blocking off the bedrooms and has peed in them (which is why they are now blocked off!).

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    . I might look into a cooling mat for her. Because she is hot natured, she also likes to lay on the vents which isn't good in our small house in summer!
    Aldi in our area had them as a special buy this week. You may want to check there!
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Thanks for all the tips guys! I'm looking into all of this stuff!
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

Melaine-
    Your blog was super helpful. I think it was funny you got your dog on "clearance". Ours was a leftover from a puppy "draft" of a breeder that had about 5 spring litters. We weren't on their waiting list and would have had to wait until December but we took a tan colored "reject" puppy.

My question is what size crate did you buy? Our little gal is supposed to be between 45-55 pounds full grown. I'm not sure what size crate to buy!
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

Quote Originally Posted by scrooks View Post
    Melaine-
    Your blog was super helpful. I think it was funny you got your dog on "clearance". Ours was a leftover from a puppy "draft" of a breeder that had about 5 spring litters. We weren't on their waiting list and would have had to wait until December but we took a tan colored "reject" puppy.

My question is what size crate did you buy? Our little gal is supposed to be between 45-55 pounds full grown. I'm not sure what size crate to buy!
    yay for discounted pets! LOL

We got the 36"x24"x27" crate, knowing a bernedoodle could get to about 80 lbs, but probably more like 60. She is LONG though, for sure.

This is the one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast