Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Percycat View Post
    I am also very protective of my mercury thermometer. It is the one I use when I want to know my temperature....

Right? Our town had this big push to drop off all mercury thermometers for 'safe disposal' I was like Heck NO. I'm still using the same thermometer my mom used on me as a kid. Still works and I'm SUPER careful to make sure nothing happens to it.

I just got a new thermometer - my temp ranges between 96.1 - 98.7..... in a 5min range taking it over and over. FAIL.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Quote Originally Posted by echoesofspring View Post
    no recs but also looking to upgrade ours - DD got sent home from camp yesterday with a fever of 99 that we were never able to reproduce, and I've always been a bit suspicious of our thermometer, or that we don't know how to use it correctly.
    Sorry, I'm late to this, but is 99 really considered a fever? The baseline I've been seeing is 100.4. I pulled a 99.4 on Friday after spending the afternoon running errands in 95-degree heat. After water and sitting in the cool, it dropped back to 98 point something.

I have a Target-brand thermometer that I've liked for a few years, but with everything going on, I wanted a backup. I was able to grab one of the last Vick's thermometers from a Walmart on the other side of town. I've taken my temperature with both back to back, and they seem fairly close in range, so I guess they both work OK.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    Sorry, I'm late to this, but is 99 really considered a fever? The baseline I've been seeing is 100.4. I pulled a 99.4 on Friday after spending the afternoon running errands in 95-degree heat. ...
    We've been told 100.4 here for DD's day-camp. I may need to order her a cooling towel or battery-powered fan for the bus ride in addition to sending her with lots of ice/ice packs.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I was just coming to complain about my thermometer. I would pay good money for an old mercury thermometer. None of the ones I have seem to work. I just changed the batteries in the QQCute one we have after it gave me readings of 104.3, 101.6, and 98.6 all from the same person within a minute or two (the cheap under the tongue one gave a reading of 97.9 at the same time)! Of course, it looks like they don't even have customer service on this. Hopefully, changing the batteries will be effective. However, I may just order the Thermoworks and, hopefully, be done! Their stuff is usually very accurate.

I arrived to a very necessary followup appointment a few months ago and they read 99.6. Thankfully they let me keep the appointment since I was shaking I was so nervous. All was well, but if they had ever sent me home I would have been a puddle on the floor!

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I had a particularly rugged mercury basal body temperature thermometer many years ago when I was going through an infertility work up. I kept it for many years despite no longer needing it for its original purpose. Just discovered that basal body temp thermometers are now digital (of course!). Wonder if they are really adequate.

By the way, the Thermoworks WAND is now on sale for $89 (reg $98).

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

So when I read here that Thermoworks had a body temperature thermometer, I took a deep breath ($90 is a lot), reminded myself that every other thermometer that we love is from them, and ordered the Thermoworks WAND! Oh my goodness, where has this been all my life. I truly have found THE thermometer! Okay, I received it yesterday, so I don't have a ton of longevity with it, BUT it works well, gives accurate readings and is SO EASY! Our year old QQCute swipe thermometer is headed to my parents, this thing is just what our family needs. Turn it on, point, push a button, wait half a second for the beep, DONE! The only thing is DC has to move their bangs, otherwise I could temp them while they were gaming or reading! I highly recommend the WAND.

The price is a lot, but in line with their other amazing products...

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    So when I read here that Thermoworks had a body temperature thermometer, I took a deep breath ($90 is a lot), reminded myself that every other thermometer that we love is from them, and ordered the Thermoworks WAND! Oh my goodness, where has this been all my life. I truly have found THE thermometer! Okay, I received it yesterday, so I don't have a ton of longevity with it, BUT it works well, gives accurate readings and is SO EASY! Our year old QQCute swipe thermometer is headed to my parents, this thing is just what our family needs. Turn it on, point, push a button, wait half a second for the beep, DONE! The only thing is DC has to move their bangs, otherwise I could temp them while they were gaming or reading! I highly recommend the WAND.

Glad to hear from a BBBer who has actually tried the WAND!! I’ve been a big fan of Thermoworks for years, and I was sure this newest product would measure up. (I live alone so I truly can’t justify buying this but I’m still tempted )

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post

I just bought DH the Thermoworks Smoke and a Thermapen for his birthday on Sunday. I had the Wand in my cart as well but then removed it as the total would have been $300! We have an Exergen thermometer which works well, but we lost the battery cover for it like 2 years ago and I have to hold my hand against the battery every time I use it! I emailed Exergen about a replacement battery cover but no response. So I just went back and ordered the Wand after seeing your post. The reviews are excellent and I figure I should take the kids temps before school every morning so it will get plenty of use.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2