Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Unhappy Just found out our community pool won't be opening this summer.

I'm seriously still in shock. Just saw the update on FB. It's usually open Memorial Day to Labor Day, and is one of the main reasons we chose to move to this development a couple of years ago. They told us they wouldn't be opening on Memorial Day, but were meeting in June to discuss the plan. Then they announced the plan (lots of changes, and possibly extra fees, but I was o.k. with it, if it meant we could use the pool.). They said that they'd be opening July 8, if not sooner. And now this announcement.

I'm so angry and disappointed. This was seriously one of the only things we had to look forward to this summer. We don't have a boat or friends with a pool, and don't have money to join an expensive country club for the pool. Our HOA doesn't allow us to have above-ground pools, and they've been sold out for months, anyhow. DH doesn't feel it's super safe to go swimming in lakes and rivers, as there's no chlorine to kill the virus. We used the pool almost every day the last couple of summers.

I know that this is such a first world problem, but I was so looking forward to finally getting to use it again with the kids. It's been in the 80s and 90s for more than a month, with dew points in the 70s this week, and more 90s predicted through the next week. It's been such a long, hot, monotonous summer already.

The one small waterpark I wanted to try with the kids (that isn't too overwhelming and far away to take the kids to) is closed, I just saw, and so is a chlorinated swimming pond in a local park system. There's another water park about an hour away, but it's a lot to take on by myself, and DH needs to stay home with the puppy to take care of him, feed him, and let him out. Plus my oldest wouldn't really enjoy it without a friend there, and I don't know if it's a good idea to take their friends with on a long car ride.

Those of you without a pool to swim in, what are you doing to fill that gap? Would you feel comfortable going to a water park? Would you feel o.k. swimming in a lake or river?

Thanks for allowing me to vent.

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm a definite "no" on the water park. I picture water parks being a germ fest (and always thought so), but especially during Covid.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

When we found out our private community pool wasn't opening (they made the decision in mid May) we were lucky to get a 16 ft pool.

I'm not following your husbands thinking on lake swimming, it's about the safest, you can socially distance on the beach and lake/river swimming is the best.

How about looking for places to rent kayaks or canoes and also a beach on a lake.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm sorry about your pool, that is such a bummer. With respect to a lake or river, it would really depend on the lake/river, what type of access you had, etc. but generally I wouldn't be worried about the virus, but maybe I'm being naive. I would avoid waterparks, I'm with MMMommy on thinking they are germfests even in the best of times (our local one announced today that it wasn't opening this year)
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I'm SO sorry. I would be crushed too.

Are there any non-country club swim clubs in the next town over? Anything affiliated with a university or something less pristine than might work for a season? Any neighborhoods with membership open to people outside the neighborhood? There's a summer camp here who was hoping to open on weekends only if they had enough families to make it work. How about renting a house with a pool as a vacation or even just a small blow up one? Is there any low-key swim team they could join that would give them water access, even if not to just "play" but for exercise?

I know how disappointing this is. I feel so much for all the kids whose only access is public pools, which are all closed.

Hadn't thought about the lake, but ewww...there are already so many things to pick up there that I hadn't thought about the virus living in the lake too. ewww.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

“Are lakes and ocean water safe from the virus that causes COVID-19?

Yes, the water in lakes and the ocean should be safe since the virus that causes COVID-19 is not transmitted in water. The same concerns about social distancing and hand hygiene apply at lakes and beaches, just like they do at pools or other places where people gather.” https://www.uchealth.org/today/is-it...e-this-summer/

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Just found out our community pool won't be opening this summer.

So, our pool opened. But, because no one is socially distancing in the pool itself we don’t feel very comfortable going. They limit capacity but that limit feels too high for the size of our pool- it can be hard to find a space where we can stay 6’ apart from other groups. Parents are either turning a blind eye or willfully promoting summer fun as usual for their kids. Roughhousing, guarding each other up close in a game of catch (plus “tackling...), sharks and minnows where the kids start off side by side on the pool deck...I understand we want our kids to have fun but we should all be in this together and be more responsible. End of vent!
    Point is, your pool could be open but if you’re practical and concerned then you might not have enjoyed it as much as you were hoping.
    I will say that their safety procedures from the staff/ club have been great. My ds1 lifeguards there so I know the cleaning steps they take. They are also really good at enforcing masks (required when walking about or less than 6’ from someone). Not required in the pool.
    To fill the time void, hike each and every state/county/local/national park you can within 2 hours. Make a checklist and head out.
    I would still be ok with fresh water swimming though. Just shower after.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 07-03-2020 at 07:27 AM.

That’s a huge bummer. Definitely no to water parks. Right now cases are rising almost everywhere, so I’d avoid anywhere crowded.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm sorry!! It does suck. My kids are on swim team in a normal summer and the pool closed here as well. We were able to find older DS a team about 50 minutes away (but only 20 from our lake) where they are swimming only 2 per lane so he was able to do that since we're staying at the lake most of the week. Maybe there's a pool nearby that you could go visit?

My kids swim in the lake all day regularly. We shower afterwards and no worries. I wouldn't be comfortable with water parks. Too hard to stay apart.

I don't know what state you're in, but I will tell you this, it would have been hard for the pool to really control the crowd unless they were very careful. Our pool didn't open because it was too hard to keep people apart. A pool in a neighboring city did (with a capacity I thought was way too high!) and has been cited by the health department at least two times. They were told they'd be closed if they didn't start enforcing social distancing guidelines.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I’m sorry. I know that is really hard. The pool is really the highlight of our summer and the only way folks survive the heat around here. Since we can’t afford much travel and DH really can’t get off work, the kids and I rely on pool time. We have spent the last few summers at our friends pool and it isn’t opening this summer either. We are going to be driving frequently to my parents’ house an hour away but not having easy access is definitely changing our summer vibe.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast