twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Slippery stairs solution?

Our interior staircase is beautiful but it is wood and can be slippery. We're always in bare feet so it isn't a problem for us but grandparents always have socks on (and they won't wear the nonslip socks I got them, argh). It's also a problem for dogs to get up and down the stairs.

Is there a solution that preserves the beauty of the stairs? Ours are black and white (white painted spindles, black stained treads and handrail) and they just look lovely. Yes, I want them to be safe but maybe someone magically knows of a solution that won't cover up the beauty of the wood? I also LOVE how easy the bare wood is to clean, especially if we have contractors tromp up the stairs (to access HVAC, attic, water heaters, etc).

We might have to resort to a carpet runner and I know I could choose one that would look lovely and make contractors wear booties but man I really hate to cover up the wood and remove the ease of cleaning! Has anyone ever tried those epoxy grip coatings? Or have creative ideas I'm not thinking of?

They could wear shoes
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Carpet stair treads on amazon

Ours are really slippery in socks too. We just tell everyone to either wear shoes or go barefoot, but not to go up and down them in socks.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

gatorsmom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I vote carpet runner. Some are beautiful if done right. My Dh invited an epoxy-type coating. Believe me, you don’t wanna coat your beautiful wood.

Our first house had hardwood stairs. It was one of the things we were so happy to leave behind when we moved a year
    later.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post

Our first house had hardwood stairs. It was one of the things we were so happy to leave behind when we moved a year
    later.
    We just took the carpet out and put engineered hardwood everywhere, including our stairs. I love it.
    Are your grandparents with you all the time? Could you purchase everyone a pair of slippers with rubber soles for use in the house? Easy slip on ones may be easier for them to wear than non-stick socks.
    When Covid came, I told my Mom we would be removing shoes in the house, and she now wears slippers all the time except when heading out. The rest of us are either barefoot or in slippers.
    mom to Billy 12/07

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We had carpet, then a carpet runner. Now we have bare painted wood, and it is so pretty and so much easier to care for.

Slippers, or buy stick treads for when they visit.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I really like our runner! It’s patterned so it hides thongscwell. It’s a nice accessory. I wouldn’t be surprised that you could find one that makes your stairs look even better. It really sounds like you need a more practical solution for your parents and dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We also tore out carpet on our stairs and love the look at the ease of cleaning but the nosings are slippery. Before Thanksgiving last year I slipped on the 4th step from the bottom, badly spraining my pinkie finger (doctor says it was badly bruised down to the bone) and got an extremely painful bruise on the back of my hip (dr. said was extremely lucky I didn't hit just inches further, I probably would have broken my tailbone). We left for Kauai the next day so I was pretty messed up. Anyway, when we got home, DH ordered some clear tread tape on Amazon that is the same width as our nosing pieces and will supposedly make those nosings more grippy without sacrificing the look. We haven't put it in yet because we're working on some other projects, but maybe look into that.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)