Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Rustic cabin in the woods - what to take?

We’re planning a trip to a rustic cabin. It’s fully furnished With a full kitchen and has appliances. We'll have access to a lake with paddle boards, canoes, kayaks and swimming. Hiking trails as well. What should we bring? Menu ideas that I can prepare ahead and take frozen to reheat for meals. We are planning to pack all our food for the entire 10 day trip. TIA
    Last edited by jgenie; 07-04-2020 at 05:25 PM.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Board games and puzzles!
    Float
    Outdoor toys (balls, badminton, bocce...)
    Baby oil- slather it on before going into the lake if “Duck itch” is a problem (common in summer on smaller lakes)
    S’mores stuff
    Boxed brownie mix
    Favorite kitchen gadgets (I really do have favorite things that I miss on trips!)
    Ziplock bags of all sizes
    If you have a filtered water pitcher, take that (unless the fridge has a filtered water dispenser). Some water can taste funky.
    Water bottles for your hikes
    Camp chairs unless you’re sure they have them (by midsummer, we’ve encountered some broken chairs at rentals)
    If you have life jackets you like, take them.
    Cooler (I really like a small cooler bag so I can have a few drinks waterside, also nice if you want to pack up some sandwiches so you don’t have to go back inside)
    More food to bring: oil, seasonings, pancake mix, syrup, flour, sugar, cereal, canned beans, canned tomatoes, chips, snacks. There are lots of threads on vacation foods!
    I’d just do a curbside grocery pick up for fresh stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I always bring a good knife. While they may have knives, I'm picky. Plus, dull knives are dangerous.
    I bring made-ahead foods and a crock-pot, so I can drop something in and be gone all day - and still come back to dinner. (Chili, soup, pasta sauce)
    Sunscreen!

Have a great time!

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Favorite kitchen gadgets (I really do have favorite things that I miss on trips!)
    Please share your favorite kitchen gadgets worthy of taking on vacation. 😁

We have brought a vitamix and a stick blender... also a toaster oven once, for a RV rental. I also like to bring a few good knives.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by urquie View Post
    Please share your favorite kitchen gadgets worthy of taking on vacation.

We have brought a vitamix and a stick blender... also a toaster oven once, for a RV rental. I also like to bring a few good knives.
    Only small stuff, no appliances. I love my lined silicon oven mitts so I take them. Same with silicon spatulas. I also really like my OXO pancake turner. Heck, I think I’d toss in my instant read thermometer too. 2 good knives.
    One house we went to had no can opener! I guess someone broke/stole/lost it and the owners didn’t know to replace it. Now I travel with a can opener!

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Bug spray
    Water shoes
    Beach/outdoor towels

For food, I'd bring my crockpot, and prep a bunch of ziplock freezer crockpot bags (if you google there's tons of ideas), so you can just throw a bag in the crock in the morning and be ready at night. If you're going to want to cook over a campfire, hot dogs are super easy, as are foil packet meals (you could probably even prep foil packets in advance if you want).
    Lizi

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

bug spray, citronella candles, a ground cloth for laying out and star gazing, binoculars if you have them. laundry pods & dryer sheets, prespiced meats or spices mixed into a baggie and labeled. beach towel, slippers in case the floor is rough, flashlights, first aid kit, water bottles, extra junky food, cards, paper goods
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Great suggestions so far and sounds like an awesome vacation. I'd also add tweezers and Afterbite.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’d bring a dustpan with hand broom as we needed one for sand in the same situation recently. Also rope for a clothesline for towels. Flip flops or the like for shower shoes. Sunscreen, bug spray, Tylenol, games, and balls to throw would also be on my list. I would bring a tub of salad, a several loaves of frozen bread, and some raw veggies to serve with your meals. We did sandwiches for lunches and fairly simple breakfasts, bagels, hardboiled eggs, oatmeal, etc. I would freeze some casseroles, a couple of soups, and some of your families’ favorite entrees.
    K

I would bring a few cleaning supplies. In my experience, there's usually not enough or any, and the linens, if provided, look sort of suspect. lol

Dish soap/dishwasher tabs
    Kitchen counter cleaner
    dish cloth/sponge
    Dish towel or two
    Laundry detergent

Is there a grill? Personally, I think a rotation of slow cooker meals and casseroles might get old. I agree with SnuggleBuggles about making a grocery run/pickup. I'd definitely grab hot dogs, steaks, shrimp, fresh veggies for the grill if there is one. Which reminds me, I'd add a citronella candle if you plan to hang out on the deck/patio.
    Last edited by carolinacool; 07-05-2020 at 12:58 PM.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast