Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    WatchingThemGrow is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

This is all great info! I found out more from the neighbor. She's needing school-supervision for the at-home learning option that will happen, and she was thinking it could be done in the playroom of their purchased but uninhabited house awaiting renovation. The boy has ADHD (mostly hyperactive) and is medicated, and there will be 1-2 other students. We got the email conversation going, so it should be interesting to hear more as it develops.

I really appreciate all you've shared, so please let me know if you hear of other people setting up something like this.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I saw a fb friend is offering something similar. She homeschools her kids, but they are quite a bit younger than mine. I think her district is offering 2 days in person so she knows parents will need some help.
    K

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    I saw a fb friend is offering something similar. She homeschools her kids, but they are quite a bit younger than mine. I think her district is offering 2 days in person so she knows parents will need some help.
    How did your friend present it? And what was she charging?

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

She posted on fb saying she new that the proposed schedule would be really difficult for some parents to get back to work and just asked for people who are interested to contact her. She didn't list how much she'll charge, but I might ask. We are pretty busy here with high school, middle school, and older elementary so it's not something I could consider adding to our routine, but I'd love to help out a friend even for a short term commitment of a week or two. We've done that before.
    K

WatchingThemGrow is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I know more talk has happened about these pods and bringing other students in... what is everyone hearing about compensation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    I know more talk has happened about these pods and bringing other students in... what is everyone hearing about compensation?

I've seen $25-30/hr for 3-4 kids elementary age.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post

I think this is going to vary widely. I have a lot of friends in the Bay Area and one who works for google was saying she’s seeing the best candidates gobbled up by small groups that are offering not only a high rate of pay but also to rent dedicated office space for the teaching to take place. She said going rates are $35-65/hr but this is just starting to pop up there now that schools aren’t opening and I’m sure there will be some market adjustment. This is going to be a very in demand thing and rates of pay for well qualified people will be higher than typical times.
    Last edited by Snow mom; 07-22-2020 at 08:56 AM.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

There are two different scenarios I am seeing:
    1) A person to supervise the provided school virtual learning and also provide supplemental work and childcare. Or someone to just supervise virtual learning for a few hours a day. This is a little more than babysitting rates at $20-25/hour but most are seeking other families to share this expense so I think they would be paid more like $50-75 hour shares among the families.
    2) People with teaching degrees or homeschool experience offering to home school with their own curriculum. There are rules and regulations for this that I do not know but I know you can’t just open a “school”
    without a license and that there is a limit to homeschooling others besides your own children. Have not seen rates for this but I did see one homeschooling mom offering to take in another child same grade as her own and only charge materials and people piled on telling her she should also charge for the service.

Mikey0709 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Talk of this has been HUGELY popular in my area (Philly suburbs). EVERYONE interested in trying to find teachers.

I believe it's call micro-schooling? The NEW resurgence of a one-room schoolhouse. A way to not have to homeschool yourself, continue your FT job, and socialize your kids without exposure.

I can see alot of people doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey0709 View Post
    Talk of this has been HUGELY popular in my area (Philly suburbs). EVERYONE interested in trying to find teachers.

I believe it's call micro-schooling? The NEW resurgence of a one-room schoolhouse. A way to not have to homeschool yourself, continue your FT job, and socialize your kids without exposure.

I can see alot of people doing this.
    Popular here too in certain communities. I think it will disrupt public education for the foreseeable future.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast