Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by theriviera View Post
    How is this different than having the kids back at school? Just smaller numbers and no teachers?
    This pod thing is the biggest joke of all time. So many posts on local mom groups about hiring pod teachers to effectuate online learning as provided by the public school (which spends like $16k a student!) and supplement and supplant as needed and then corresponding posts to include kids without means in your pods for free so that poor kids aren't further left behind. I am sickened and fascinated at the same time.

First, as a society, we have decided to kick the education of our children to lowest paid childcare workers without tenure, numerous sick days and job security. Second, we then need to hire someone to effectuate the education provided by the greatest equalizer of all time, because the teachers, collectively, cannot go back to work. Let's all take a year off and start again next year and not continue on the most egregious unequitable path. I'm disgusted.

Pz, there will be instruction. Masters level teachers are taking these pod jobs (right out of school) and getting a tax free $40/hour, paid for by three families and apparently supporting underserved kids who will be included in these pods without paying.
    Last edited by Kindra178; 07-22-2020 at 04:02 PM.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Any former teachers teaching other kids in a home setting during COVID?

Quote Originally Posted by theriviera View Post
    How is this different than having the kids back at school? Just smaller numbers and no teachers?
    Limited slots, child is with same group (10-12 kids) every day in same room. Supervision is by non-teachers for childcare and they will facilitate online learning. I’m not sure what the criteria is to be accepted. It’s only for elementary school and DS is in high school. Think of elementary school aftercare but all day

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Pz, there will be instruction. Masters level teachers are taking these pod jobs (right out of school) and getting a tax free $40/hour, paid for by three families and apparently supporting underserved kids who will be included in these pods without paying.[/QUOTE]

I was referring to the ones some districts and the boys and girls clubs are offering . Not the ones families are privately setting up.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Another article on inequality and learning pods and some suggestions

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rebekah.../#1040cd4472cb

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    This pod thing is the biggest joke of all time. So many posts on local mom groups about hiring pod teachers to effectuate online learning as provided by the public school (which spends like $16k a student!) and supplement and supplant as needed and then corresponding posts to include kids without means in your pods for free so that poor kids aren't further left behind. I am sickened and fascinated at the same time.

First, as a society, we have decided to kick the education of our children to lowest paid childcare workers without tenure, numerous sick days and job security. Second, we then need to hire someone to effectuate the education provided by the greatest equalizer of all time, because the teachers, collectively, cannot go back to work. Let's all take a year off and start again next year and not continue on the most egregious unequitable path. I'm disgusted.

Pz, there will be instruction. Masters level teachers are taking these pod jobs (right out of school) and getting a tax free $40/hour, paid for by three families and apparently supporting underserved kids who will be included in these pods without paying.
    Agree. And this is not to mention the people (mainly women, and mainly women who don't make enough to join a 'pod') who will be forced out of the workforce due to school closing. And the resulting utter destruction of the economy (as if it's not damaged yet enough), and the stalling of careers and massive set backs to the equality of women in the workforce.

All because we can't figure out how to buy masks. Mind boggling.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

All the public schools in Maryland are now going remote through at least January despite our low covid numbers. The teacher’s union in our state fought hard for this and celebrated when it happened. Our county system will be offering 2.5 to 3 hours remote live instruction a day at all levels, that’s it. Honestly, we should just blow up our public education system and start from scratch. The people running it now don’t think it’s particularly important to educate kids.

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    All the public schools in Maryland are now going remote through at least January despite our low covid numbers. The teacher’s union in our state fought hard for this and celebrated when it happened. Our county system will be offering 2.5 to 3 hours remote live instruction a day at all levels, that’s it. Honestly, we should just blow up our public education system and start from scratch. The people running it now don’t think it’s particularly important to educate kids.
    Makes me want to cry
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Agree. And this is not to mention the people (mainly women, and mainly women who don't make enough to join a 'pod') who will be forced out of the workforce due to school closing. And the resulting utter destruction of the economy (as if it's not damaged yet enough), and the stalling of careers and massive set backs to the equality of women in the workforce.

All because we can't figure out how to buy masks. Mind boggling.
    I think there are some failures here but I don’t think it’s just about masks. I think we have two big problems.

1. We don’t have enough information about how to contain the virus yet. We don’t how long or who to quarantine. We don’t have fast enough or effective enough testing. We fundamentally don’t have good enough tools yet to open schools. I don’t know how long this will take but I think this is the missing piece.

2. We have a really big problem with lack of compliance on policies that slow the spread. Lack of mask wearing is one big piece. I think we also have people who unknowingly take risky steps because they don’t fundamentally understand what they’re supposed to do and there are also people who do it anyway for any number of reasons.

I think leadership would really help fix both of these problems.

We do have info on quarantine policy. Hospitals have been dealing w the same questions since March. The data exists. The schools don’t have it.
    Agree on point 2.
    But though it’s very sad people getting sick and dying, how we have failed our children will be written about in the history books 100 years from now. And I’m not talking about my kids.

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    We do have info on quarantine policy. Hospitals have been dealing w the same questions since March. The data exists. The schools don’t have it.
    Agree on point 2.
    But though it’s very sad people getting sick and dying, how we have failed our children will be written about in the history books 100 years from now. And I’m not talking about my kids.
    A not insignificant number of disadvantaged kids will go without school for 18 months. Millions of kids across the country. It’s really something.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast