Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    Normally I have shoulder length hair that I get chemically straightened (relaxed) every 6-8 weeks.
    Same! Except I go ever 12-13 weeks. And I wasn't ready to go natural. lol I was really concerned about breakage, so I tried to take care of my hair the best I could. When NC allowed stylists to reopen, I flew into that chair (at that point, I was about 16 weeks). Unfortunately I did have some breakage, but it wasn't too bad.

She works alone out of her home and I was the only client there at the time. We both wore masks,except hers kept slipping down. I was probably there 2.5 hours. DH and DS go to Great Clips and they've gone twice, I believe. Masks, wait in the car until it's there time, etc.
    Last edited by carolinacool; 07-08-2020 at 09:34 AM.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

I haven’t, but my husband and father have. I would feel ok with it where I live if I really wanted mine cut, but if I lived somewhere like South Carolina or Florida or Arizona I would not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

JamiMac is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Yes, I got mine cut and highlighted. She wore a mask and I wore a mask. It’s a pretty large, airy salon with space between chairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DD 2001
    DD 2004
    DS 2007

I just had mine cut last week for 1st time since January! I was due for cut and color mid March when we got shutdown. So I used their home dye kit end of April.

I liked how my salon handled things. Stay in car until stylist is ready & texts you to come in, take my temp and hand sanitizer everywhere. Masks wore by me and stylist. Plexi glass between hair washing stations. I just had my hair cut without blow dry. Contactless payment; over my phone with vemno and no making appointments for next one in person but on your phone to reduce paper/typing on their computers and surface space. I’m due to go back in for coloring only tomorrow. I was comfortable to do it cuz the numbers are low in my state, and wouldn’t feel comfortable if it was rising like we had in May.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’ve been thinking about this. It would by far be the riskiest thing I’ve done, if I go ahead with it. So my curly salon will be allowed to open soon it seems, and she has been spending the last few months making elaborate plans to keep safe. If anyone, she is extremely trustworthy to the best of her capability. I would feel much more comfortable if she would just come to my house and do it outside with masks on, but I haven’t asked her yet and not sure if I will. I don’t know if I’m ready to go inside. It’s a small salon with only two chairs now, As they reconfigured it, but Only one employee at a time and they will do temperature checks, and a bunch of other precautions. You do the consult by video chat before you go in. It does have very tall ceilings, which is a good thing, and she says the circulation is good. Here is the list of guidelines: https://www.sccgov.org/sites/covid19...e-Services.pdf

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again… Because I live in a place where people tend to be on the compliant side and because businesses mostly follow practices, I can feel more comfortable leaving the house. If I lived in a place like Arizona or Florida, it would be pretty scary.

eta: DD is growing her hair out to donate, and I haven’t cut mine since November. I am kind of vain about my grays, Though I have grown them out a lot more than usual. Dd has done two permanent touchups for me at home. That doesn’t seem too bad so I don’t think I’ll be getting it colored at a salon until this is done. I normally get it cut twice a year. I’m thinking I should probably go this summer because it’s going to be much worse in the fall and winter again. we’ve cut dh and ds’s hair once at home with the trimmers and scissors.
    Last edited by Globetrotter; 07-08-2020 at 10:28 AM.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm not comfortable with going for a haircut yet; our salons were allowed to open a short time ago, they're by appointment only, everyone needs to mask, which means harm-reduction for stylists and customers is prioritized, but I'm still not going anywhere inside yet.

It's actually more pressing for me to chat with my optometrist; I'm down to my last (unopened) pair of contacts and have been wearing an old 'script pair of glasses and docs' offices like hers were only allowed to open last month.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Are y'all getting haircuts yet?

Yes we all went last month. I just get a basic cut with no dye. I hadn’t had a haircut since January. Dh is scheduled for another cut this Saturday. I had absolutely no problem following social distancing rules and wearing a mask as did the stylist. There was one other client in their when we were there. I was also happy to support a local business.

There was no way I was cutting anyone in my families hair on my own. DH has the longest hair I had ever seen him with.

ETA: no blow dries in California

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 07-08-2020 at 12:32 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    Same! Except I go ever 12-13 weeks. And I wasn't ready to go natural. lol I was really concerned about breakage, so I tried to take care of my hair the best I could. When NC allowed stylists to reopen, I flew into that chair (at that point, I was about 16 weeks). Unfortunately I did have some breakage, but it wasn't too bad.

She works alone out of her home and I was the only client there at the time. We both wore masks,except hers kept slipping down. I was probably there 2.5 hours. DH and DS go to Great Clips and they've gone twice, I believe. Masks, wait in the car until it's there time, etc.
    Carolinacool did you get your hair straightened? Not sure how that would work here. I dont think they're allowing blowdrying. I've had my hair natural for a couple of years but Im thinking of going back to straightening it. With my hair natural I need to do it in the am and I'm thinking I'm going to want to wash my hair at night after being in a classroom all day.

did you keep a mask on the whole time?
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

1800 contacts does vision exams online- I doubt it is much good, but if your prescription is unchanged and you just need to refill contacts might be worth a try. I am in the same boat, and might try it just to get through the next 6 months or so. My prescription hasn't changed in forever.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    Carolinacool did you get your hair straightened? Not sure how that would work here. I dont think they're allowing blowdrying. I've had my hair natural for a couple of years but Im thinking of going back to straightening it. With my hair natural I need to do it in the am and I'm thinking I'm going to want to wash my hair at night after being in a classroom all day.

did you keep a mask on the whole time?
    I’m not Carolina mom but 2 weeks ago I got a full color/ highlights/ conditioning treatment, cut and dry. I had my mask on the whole time. I thought it would get wet with chemicals/water around the ears, and the stylist said it might, but it didn’t. It never really got in the way.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast