Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Dandruff/itchy scalp - tweens?

DD1 has been scratching at her scalp. I've checked carefully - no lice - but I do see dandruff and flaking on the skin of her scalp. It's not red and doesn't look irritated or anything - just flaky. She washes her hair well and there's no oil buildup or anything. She does have eczema (insides of elbows and knees). What should I try? Is Neutrogena T-Gel still the recommended stuff to use to relieve an itchy flaky scalp?
    Last edited by twowhat?; 07-12-2020 at 11:03 AM.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'd start with Head & Shoulders Dry Scalp OR Rehab (liquid) or Soak and Float (solid ... and a round tin) from LUSH before the T-Gel.

She might find it helpful if you got her a shampoo brush to help her work the suds down to her scalp while washing her hair. It's hard to work suds into the scalp when you have thick hair!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We find it helpful to brush the scalp really well just before showering. Then, washing the hair gets out more loose flakes.

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

It may not be oil buildup but could be buildup from the shampoo/conditioner. I like having a clarifying shampoo on hand to use occasionally. I feel like it’s helped with my tween’s various hair/scalp issues.

I used Neutrogena T-Gel on DS2 when he got flaky but he also had a scaly spot on his scalp. I suspect his problem was from either not washing his hair in the shower (yuk) or not scrubbing his scalp so we used the T-Gel a few times a week with a moisturizing shampoo in between. The shampoo brush was a big help as well. If it isn't bad, maybe try a shampoo brush with regular shampoo first. No returning scales or flakes since we worked on better shampoo hygiene with him.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Yes to using TGel. I had originally bought it for DD1 (then 13) and she used it every few washes for about a month and it really improved. Dd2 (10) was also complaining about itchy scalp and has used it a few times as well and it seems to be working well. Dd2 also uses Head And Shoulders 2n1 Almond Oil version and it is helping as well. We don’t own a shampoo brush....had never heard of one until this post.

Unless you wash your own kids hair let your kids know that the TGel doesn’t lather so they don’t need a whole bunch. Dd2 used a lot of TGel because she didn’t realize it wouldn’t lather up. Just an FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD16 had/has this,and also had eczema. I researched quite a bit, and found that T-Sal, not T-Gel, is often more effective for tween/teens, especially those with eczema. She has used it for maybe 4 years and it keeps it under control. If she doesn't use it weekly, it often returns.

This is a little gross - but if there's a layer of buildup and it's at all oily, try washing once with Dawn. Yes, the dishwashing soap. DD has had to do this twice in four years, but it gets rid of the buildup of both 'scale' and grease and lets the T-Sal be enough. I can't tell you the difference it made.

Good luck!

Zansu is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

There's a version of T-Gel specifically for itchy scalp.

We use Nizoral.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I just realized I made a typo in the thread title - I meant to type "scalp" and not "scale". Fixed it! I just looked and there is definitely no scale on DD's scalp...no oil buildup either. It looks really clean, other than dry flakes. I'll definitely try the shampoo brush first and see if that makes a difference. If not, I'll maybe try the T-Sal next? I'll keep taking recs too!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast